UKC

Bouldering Perth Australia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beardyman 27 May 2014
Hey folks,

Anyone got any info on Bouldering within a few hours of Perth WA? I have been doing a bit of internet hunting but can't really find much info...

I did see a pic of some nice looking granite boulders on someones blog but that's about it!

I might have a job there for a year so am pretty keen to get out climbing while I'm there!!

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

D
 gavjwp 27 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

Kalbarri up the coast has climbing and some great surfing as well.
 HP 27 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

Strangely I was just looking up the same thing because I'm also moving to Aus. There are a few bits on the logbooks for eastern perth and south in the Margaret River area.
OP Beardyman 27 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

Cheers, I'd looked at those places but was hopeing these was some good stuff a bit nearer.
OP Beardyman 27 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

600km and 280km are not really day trip material!
 Rob Parsons 28 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

> Anyone got any info on Bouldering within a few hours of Perth WA? I have been doing a bit of internet hunting but can't really find much info...

Try a post on http://www.climberswa.asn.au/
 Raymondo 28 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:
>600km and 280km are not really day trip material!

We will see if you say that in a years time, lol.
Post edited at 08:13
 Morgan Woods 28 May 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/western-australia/perth

a mate who moved there a while back is a keen boulderer and said it was enough to keep him occupied for a year or two.
OP Beardyman 29 May 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

> >600km and 280km are not really day trip material!

> We will see if you say that in a years time, lol.

Haha, maybe need to start thinking like an Auzzie! I suppose 3hrs is doable...

There seems to be a lot of stuff much nearer Perth but very little info, a few mention some bouldering but that's as far as they go.

OP Beardyman 29 May 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

> a mate who moved there a while back is a keen boulderer and said it was enough to keep him occupied for a year or two.

Thanks. Can you ask him where abouts?

robin mueller 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

Don't expect the Grampians, but if you are happy to explore there is some decent bouldering round Perth. Topos here:
http://www.climberswa.asn.au/climb/mini-guides/

And more info if you sift through the forums
http://www.climberswa.asn.au/forum/bouldering-wa/

You'll need a car to get to everything, but there is a fair amount within an hours drive of Perth. Going a bit further, there are also some brilliant seaside granite boulders if you take a trip down to Margaret River, 3 hrs south. Good for weekends.
 lost1977 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

iirc theres some good climbing and bouldering around Albany
 DDDD 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

The CAWA website has an online guide and I think it shows quite a few spots around Perth.

I lived in Kalamunda (eastern suburb of Perth) for a few years and developed quite a bit of bouldering in and around the forest on the edge of Kalamunda - some of it being excellent. Find Spring Creek Boulders and there's quite a lot near there in that forest. There are bits and bobs on the boulders in both Mountain Quarry and Stathams Quarry. There is another area called Boulder Rock on the Brookton Highway which is now probably fully developed. I also found some limestone bouldering on the coast near Mettams Pool but that's a bit dependant on sand levels. If you're adventurous, there's some DWS on an area on the south side of the Swan River.
OP Beardyman 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Beardyman:
Thanks for the great info folks! Looks like plenty enough to keep me busy there!
Also not much above V7 so may be some harder projects to clean up
Post edited at 01:00
 DDDD 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

If you're at that grade and harder and looking for projects, I left a project on the front face of the largest boulder at Spring Creek Boulders - it's not been done yet. There was also another one hidden on a bloc in the trees on the west side of the main path running along the valley below SCB - 45 degree overhanging thin seam. There's a few more but they must have been done by now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...