UKC

rivelin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 28 May 2014
Thinking of going to Rivelin this Thursday. Weather bit iffy and never been before but routes look good. Any advice?
 Nige M 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

It's a great crag. However, if there is no wind it can be slow to dry, especially when the trees are in leaf. Not the best venue if it is damp.
 deacondeacon 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

If there's no breeze the midges will be raging
 JamButty 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Croton oil a must....
 Jimbo C 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Any advice? Go when it's dry and enjoy some great routes. The weather is looking pretty rubbish at the moment.
 Hairy Pete 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699: If you use the usual car park next to the dam, take the track next to the house and ascend the hill by the steepest route - it brings you almost directly to the "back garden" of The Three Merry Lads.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Yup, I would agree with all three of the above. Specifically, it would not be a good choice in damp weather. Mind you... where is?
 Offwidth 28 May 2014
In reply to Nige M:
Slow compared to some other crags but not on an absolute basis. Some routes there dry pretty fast in any breeze and its sunny despite the trees. I just find it a bit warm in summer but its rather a cool spell at present.
Post edited at 16:47
 gethin_allen 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Take care where you park as the official carpark closes fairly early IIRC. If you park further around it's usually fine.
 hipyhop 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Avoid Roof Route/Grove Route as an Owl is currently nesting there at the minute: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=313
 deepsoup 28 May 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:
> If there's no breeze the midges will be raging

And bear in mind it's extremely sheltered from the wind - there won't be much of a breeze there unless it's blowing a hoolie elsewhere in the Peak. The same thing that makes Rivelin such a haven in the winter means it's often a midge-infested nightmare in the summer months.
 deepsoup 28 May 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
> Take care where you park as the official carpark closes fairly early IIRC. If you park further around it's usually fine.

I've been there several times after 'lock up' time when there were a few cars left, and rather than lock them in they'd just closed the gate and looped the chain around it without locking. YMMV of course.
 gethin_allen 28 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

I've been in the same position but I don't dare push it too much as one day they may change staff and they'll lock it properly.
 gethin_allen 28 May 2014
In reply to hipyhop:

> Avoid Roof Route/Grove Route as an Owl is currently nesting there at the minute: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=313

The pain of all that jamming is enough to keep me away from roof route let alone the nesting owls.

On a more serious note, I really would like to tick Roof route, Nonesuch and Ring of roses in rivelin, All routes I've tried and failed on in the past.
OP jules699 28 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I reckon it'll be a no go tomorrow
 Jimbo C 29 May 2014

Roof Route is not so bad when you figure it out. The other 2 look nails.
 robal 29 May 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> Croton oil a must....

+1
 gethin_allen 29 May 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

I did see on your logbook that you'd ticked roof route
 Shani 29 May 2014
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:
> (In reply to jules699)
>
> Yup, I would agree with all three of the above. Specifically, it would not be a good choice in damp weather. Mind you... where is?

Higgar Tor!
Removed User 29 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Croton Oil and Altar Crack are 2 of the best.
 CurlyStevo 29 May 2014
In reply to jules699:

Rivelin can be a good choice if there is a moderate chance of rain in hathersage from westerlies - being to the east of the peak low down and also in Sheffield it certainly rains much less than stanage etc but as others have said it's wind sheltered nature and tree cover. Also make it slow to dry if it does rain. Birchen is prolly a better call in similar weather as it's also low and well east but does dry faster as isn't as sheltered or have as much tree cover.
 Offwidth 31 May 2014

Has the Owl gone from Roof Route?
 Graeme Hammond 31 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

The person who locks the gate on behalf of Yorkshire Water lives in the house next to the carpark. He told me that he rarely locks the gate usually just if youths are looking like they are going to cause trouble. But as previously mentioned he will put the chain round but not actually lock it to discourage people.
 gethin_allen 31 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> Has the Owl gone from Roof Route?

No idea sorry, unfortunately I don't live in Sheffield any more and due to a long term hand injury I've not been climbing for ages and and now fat and weak so it will be a while until I trouble the owls if they are still there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...