UKC

VIDEO: Punks in the Gym 8b+ - Robbie Phillips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 28 May 2014
[Punks in the Gym 8b+ - Robbie Phillips]
"Punks in the Gym" (8b+) was the world's first of the grade. First climbed by Wolfgang Gullich, this route stands out as a classic test piece of our generation and is still regarded as an incredibly challenging climb even 25 years after the first ascent.

In this video, Scottish climber Robbie Phillips takes on the challenge and discusses some of the facets of this climb that motivated him.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=2122

elliptic 28 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

Just adding a link to Mayan Smith-Gobat's ascent: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1803 which makes an interesting comparison.
 Stuart S 28 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

Nice video - good use of the word 'skite' in Robbie's commentary!
In reply to elliptic:

Yeah very interesting I knew how she had done it from talking to my friend Logan Barber. I belayed him on his ascent of "Punks" too which you can see here:

youtube.com/watch?v=9yvxYpXtmM8&

The same thing again, when I did the 8c "Tigercat", I was belaying Monique Forestier on it as well. Her climbing the first 3/4 of the route might as well have been a completely different piece of rock :P It was so different to the way I climb it. Just goes to show that grades mean nothing... it's just a piece of rock to climb on and everyone is going to climb it different, even if only very subtly
 Adam Lincoln 28 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

Yeah but whats he ever done at Ratho?
 Robert Durran 28 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:
Yeh...whatever...... but has he pulled his finger out and climbed 9a yet?
Post edited at 22:49
 ericinbristol 29 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

Excellent achievement. Excellent filming. Appalling 'music' and no sounds of the environment or climber ... really, sort it out.
 elliptic 29 May 2014
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

> The same thing again, when I did the 8c "Tigercat", I was belaying Monique Forestier on it as well. Her climbing the first 3/4 of the route might as well have been a completely different piece of rock :P It was so different to the way I climb it.

Know exactly what you mean (though at a lower level of performance!) I had a regular partner like that, her style was so different to mine it was sometimes hard for me even to figure out what holds she was using let alone understand the sequence. We gave up trying to swap beta! But we were pretty much a perfect match in terms of raw numbers, she could do most things I could and vice versa.

mr_nsglover 29 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

Birds!
In reply to ericinbristol:

I liked it :P
 ericinbristol 30 May 2014
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

If that was me in the video I would too

Big congrats man, must have been a wonderful experience.
 Paul Crusher R 31 May 2014
In reply to UKC Videos:

There's a really cool interview with Mayan here, where she talks about the amount that went into doing it ...
http://enormocast.com/episode-27-mayan-smith-gobat-mama-dont-take-no-mess/

big up to the enormocast..

Nice 1 robbie also..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...