UKC

Road/gravel rash tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a13x 03 Jun 2014
Hey,

Lost quite a lot of skin on my knee and lower leg on falling off on a fire road at the weekend. Its 2 big ones about 10x10cm and 5x5cm. Anyone got any top tips to make it go sooner? Its weeping a lot but covering it up seems to be stopping it scabbing over and when I change the dressing all the semi-scab just comes away with it...

Any advice appreciated.

Alex
 Bob 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Apply a salve or vaseline before applying the dressing will stop anything pulling away with the dressing. If it isn't actually bleeding then leaving it open as much as possible will let the scabs develop quicker. Again, applying vaseline will help prevent the scab being a big "plate" which cracks when you move.
 TobyA 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Between climbing and biking, my legs seems to be permanently covered in scabs and scars. I don't think there is much you can do besides make sure they are clean and then as much air as possible, wear shorts when you can etc. Try not to pick the scabs although that's a challenge!

Be proud of your scars - they should tell a story. https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/445320723658059776
OP a13x 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Vaseline sounds like a good idea to keep scab on cheers. Nice pic Toby!
 Choss 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Pile cream.
 Enty 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

If they are only shallow - plenty of air. If you can, wear shorts during the day and they will dry out quicker. Not so simple at night when you might stick to the bed sheets

I had a deep one between my knee and ankle and it went yellow under my jeans - needed hospital treatment to remove all the infected gunk. They applied some special cream, covered it and 5 days later it was like new.

E

TomBaker 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

+1 for shorts and uncovered.

I'll add you did clean with anti-septic didn't you! Just making sure that nothing is running against it and its exposed to air flow seem to scab them up and heal quicker for me.
 blurty 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Plastic skin works for me (Hurts like a bastard when you spray it on though)
 london_huddy 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Vasaline will help it heal without forming a crusty and dry scab and will help keep it clean (although it will mean less of a scar as well).

From when I played a lot more football, I used to vasaline grazes and then stick a dressing on them during the day and then in the evenings air it out.
 Bob 03 Jun 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

Vaseline came about from a by-product/residue in the oil industry where workers used it to heal cuts and abrasions.

The best healing cream I've ever come across was when we used to have dairy cows on the farm and we used an anti-mastitis cream on their udders. This cream would heal grazes very, very quickly. Unfortunately it was banned in the early 1970s as it was steroid based and there was the potential for it to get in to the milk supply.
 joan cooper 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob: Cows udder cream was reformulated as savlon and it is brilliant for preventing infection if used on cuts grazes etc or bathe sores in savlon liquid. Doesnt sting like dettol.

LastBoyScout 03 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Obviously no idea about how deep etc, so take this with caution.

If it's very superficial, then letting it dry out is an option, but big scabs will crack and it'll start weeping again.

At that size, I'd dress it with something like Jelonet or Atrauman to stop any dressing sticking and then cover it with something like Melolin. Don't get it wet - there are some very good waterproof dressings that I've used, but they are expensive.

Change dressings regularly and if it shows any signs of infection then get it looked at.
OP a13x 11 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

Cheers for tips. 1.5 weeks later and I still have a hole in my leg but it is certainly on the mend
 jfw 11 Jun 2014
colloidal dressings for flat not bendy areas of skin

savlon healing gel for face/creases/joints (colloidal gel)

like the vaseline mentioned above - savlon gel makes a "pretend" scab so skin can regrow beneath, but unlike a scab doesn't dry out/ crack/scar

my road rash kit contains a very clean flannel, a spanking new nail brush (yes really - ouch), ibuprofen, colloidal dressing sheets, tape for applying dressings and savlon healing gel.

1. when you get the road rash try rinse it out if you have any water (rather then sports drink) in your bottle
2. take ibuprofen before you clean it
3. clean with hot v clean flannel (slightly cooled boiled water is good)/ nail brush if you are brave!
4. pick out grit with tweezers, bit more flannel dabbing
5. apply dressing/cream
6. morning and night its hot clean flannel/picking time again (hot flannel seems to draw grit out) - then reapply dressing/cream

I got grit rash over my face and lips (like a goatee not to mention massive bust lip) a month or so before my wedding i was pretty worried i was going to have a big mark/scar. This (savlon gel) worked for my face - the wounds on the backs of my hands which I wasn't quite so fastidious with still have white scars.

annieman 11 Jun 2014
In reply to a13x:

A long time ago when I had a dose of gravel rash a friendapplied a hot compress with lavender??? onto my wound. Worked a treat.
 Paul Atkinson 11 Jun 2014
In reply to jfw:

> colloidal dressings for flat not bendy areas of skin

> savlon healing gel for face/creases/joints (colloidal gel)

> like the vaseline mentioned above - savlon gel makes a "pretend" scab so skin can regrow beneath, but unlike a scab doesn't dry out/ crack/scar

> my road rash kit contains a very clean flannel, a spanking new nail brush (yes really - ouch), ibuprofen, colloidal dressing sheets, tape for applying dressings and savlon healing gel.

> 1. when you get the road rash try rinse it out if you have any water (rather then sports drink) in your bottle

> 2. take ibuprofen before you clean it

> 3. clean with hot v clean flannel (slightly cooled boiled water is good)/ nail brush if you are brave!

> 4. pick out grit with tweezers, bit more flannel dabbing

> 5. apply dressing/cream

> 6. morning and night its hot clean flannel/picking time again (hot flannel seems to draw grit out) - then reapply dressing/cream

> I got grit rash over my face and lips (like a goatee not to mention massive bust lip) a month or so before my wedding i was pretty worried i was going to have a big mark/scar. This (savlon gel) worked for my face - the wounds on the backs of my hands which I wasn't quite so fastidious with still have white scars.

you forgot the Entonox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...