UKC

Nicky Spinks breaks ladies' record for Ramsay's Round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petestack 03 Jun 2014
To quote my SHR news report at:
http://www.shr.uk.com/NewsItems.aspx?NewsItemID=1604

'On Saturday 31 May 2014, Nicky Spinks broke the ladies' record for Ramsay's Round set 25 years ago by Helene Diamantides, recording 19 hours 39 minutes for a time bettered only by Adrian Belton's outright record also set in 1989. This means Nicky now not only holds the ladies' records for all three 'UK big three' hill rounds, but all in sub-20 times, making her the sole person of either gender to have completed all three sub-20. A well-deserved reward for meticulous planning, preparation and execution with a strong support team, and a stunning new record that should stand the test of time... congratulations, Nicky!'

(See also my blog post at http://www.petestack.com/blog/running/supporting-nicky-spinks.html for more from a supporter's perspective, and look out for Nicky's own forthcoming report.)

A quite stupendous achievement, folks, so let's hear it for Nicky!
 digby 03 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Cheers weakly in the face of such awesomeness
 mbh 03 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Excellent effort!
 2ba 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Agreed, I tried to keep up in support but she steamed ahead. Superb effort, fantastic day, some girl!
 J Brown 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Fantastic - well done!
OP petestack 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:
> look out for Nicky's own forthcoming report.)

Now up at:
http://www.runbg.co.uk/Ramsay%20Record.htm

steveriley 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Chapeau!
 Heike 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Wow, brilliant achievement.
Impressive.
 john irving 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Superlatives are insufficient really.
Very impressive indeed
In reply to petestack:

Wow, good for her. Anyone who can better anything HD did must be some athlete.

jcm
 Bob 05 Jun 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Indeed.

I was talking to Helene a year or two ago about the Ramsay, and I mentioned that it was a harder proposition than both the BG and the Paddy as there was a limited window of snow free conditions to allow both a reccy and an attempt in the same season.

"Oh, just turn up and do it. That's what I did"

When she and Mark Rigby did it, only three people had succeeded on the CRR, that she then put in such a fast time effectively "on sight" is truly remarkable. There aren't many short cuts on the Ramsay but it can be all to easy to make a wrong turn and lose time.
 ben b 05 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Chapeau indeed - an incredible feat in itself, and alongside the other big rounds that is an unmatched achievement. Well done!

b
 lummox 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ben b:

Very impressive !
 Banned User 77 06 Jun 2014
In reply to ben b:

> Chapeau indeed - an incredible feat in itself, and alongside the other big rounds that is an unmatched achievement. Well done!

> b

Aye, this will probably never be repeated either.. superb by Nicky. Incredible run.
 Banned User 77 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

>

> "Oh, just turn up and do it. That's what I did"

I've head that.. supposedly its THE one to do solo insight as its the one you really feel solo.. and such a bugger to sort support for..
In reply to petestack:

Abridged version of Nicky's account on UKH today: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68972

Brilliant achievement
 ro8x 11 Jun 2014
In reply to petestack:

Brilliant stuff. I remember supporting a BG where Nicky was supporting. She did legs 3 to the finish and looked fresh as a daisy at moot hall, incredible athlete.
 Banned User 77 13 Jun 2014
In reply to ro8x:

> Brilliant stuff. I remember supporting a BG where Nicky was supporting. She did legs 3 to the finish and looked fresh as a daisy at moot hall, incredible athlete.

She's a proper diesel engine.. just chugs along, her pace seems to never change, 20 mile fell races to 60 mile fell challenges.. incredible how she's improved. When I first met her it was to help on her Paddy which she was touch and go for and now she's the best around at these things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...