UKC

Off-road shoes that won't cripple me on tarmac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hokkyokusei 04 Jun 2014
Hi all,

I do a mix of road and off-road running. For road use I use Mizuno Wave Alchemy and find them great, I've had multiple pairs. For off-road I have some cheap More Mile Cheviots for my lunch time bimble up to Baildon Moor trig point and a pair of Inov-8 Mudclaws for more serious stuff.

Where I am struggling is that I've been entering more "off-road" races this year, and they all tend to have at least a couple of sections of tarmac in them. I find this crippling wearing either the Cheviots or Mudclaws.

Shoes I've looked at to solve this:
Salomon Fellraisers &
Salomon Speedcross - both feel great in the shop, but have deep tread so don't seem suited, but I know people that love them and say they are comfy on road.
Adidas Kanadias - look good, but can't find anywhere with my size to try on
Mizuno Wave Harriers - not seen any at all!

Does anyone have any personal experience of these shoes, or can anyone suggest an alternative?
 The New NickB 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Speedcross are comfy on the road, but wear out quickly on tarmac, I also need to add the warning about the heel lift being not to everyone's taste (downright dangerous) on twisty off road.

I find the Kanadia a bit heavy and unforgiving for tarmac, but the XT are lighter and comfier whilst retaining a similar level of grip. More expensive mind.
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Adidas sizing is all over the place, I own something like 14 pairs of Adidas running shoes (road, trail, XC), in 3 different 1/2 sizes.
 Curry 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Brooks Cascadias are great for lengthy road sections, not so good for muddy stuff but great on traily bits. They have a decent rockplate that protects from scree. Tread isn't that deep.
 deepsoup 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Have you looked at Saucony Peregrine 4?

I don't have enough experience to put them into context with your other shoes, but fwiw I love mine for varied Peak District traily stuff with the inevitable short sections of tarmac.
 Wyddfa 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I've got the Mudclaws, Speedcross and a couple of pairs of Salomon XA Pros.

Mudclaws are great for mud nand slip - not so good on my final mile or so stretch back to the car on the tarmac.

Speedcross are amazing - can wear them all day, super comfortable too but as Nick says, they do wear quick on tarmac. Wouldn't swap them for the world off road though.

My Salomon XA Pros are the best. Really comfortable and confidence boosting on all surfaces apart from the really wet, muddy stuff. That's my choice for most occasions. Had probably half dozen pairs over the last 5-7 years, very rugged and long lasting.

Adidas are pish! Just don't suit my feet. Wasted 50 quid on them.

You say you really like your Mizuno - so at least you know their lasts suit your feet, so might be worth sticking with what you know. That way you can confidently buy online without trying them on. That's how I feel about Salomon trainers. All the variations I've bought have been perfect fits for me.

Steve.
OP hokkyokusei 04 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Speedcross are comfy on the road, but wear out quickly on tarmac, I also need to add the warning about the heel lift being not to everyone's taste (downright dangerous) on twisty off road.

I'm not planning on doing lots of road, so that might be a compromise I'm prepared to make! Also at present, I'm having to do the mixed runs in a knackered pair of old Mizumo Wave Alchemy road shoes, which isn't ideal at all.
In reply to Curry:

> Brooks Cascadias are great for lengthy road sections, not so good for muddy stuff but great on traily bits. They have a decent rockplate that protects from scree. Tread isn't that deep.

Sounds good, I'll see if I can find some to try on.
In reply to deepsoup:

> Have you looked at Saucony Peregrine 4?

No, but will look out for them.
 yorkshireman 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Brooks Cascadias are great for lengthy road sections, not so good for muddy stuff but great on traily bits. They have a decent rockplate that protects from scree. Tread isn't that deep.

Second this - I'm on my 3rd generation (9s) and they're consistently good.

I do about 2,500km a year on trails, mostly very scree/rocky but each run probably has a couple of KMs on roads too - holds up well on both. The only downside is I have to ease off the throttle on really steep technical descent but then I've yet to find a shoe that can do everything.
In reply to Wyddfa:

I've found a shop in Ben Rhydding near Ilkley that have The Salomon Fellraiser, Speedcross, XT (No XA), plus the Mizuno Wave Harriers & Adidas Kanadias and lots of inov-8 like the Terroc, so hopefully I can find something suitable.
In reply to Wyddfa:

Can't really say Adidas are pish because they don't suit your feet. They just don't suit your feet, different lasts will suit different people. I am a big fan of Adidas, because they do suit my feet.
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Possible confusion alert: Do Salomon make a shoe called XT? The XT I mean is the Adidas Adizero XT.
Ferret 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I've recently gone onto Fellraisers and so far am pretty happy. Not quite as grippy as my previous Innov8 rocklite on mud and scree but a better and comfier fit all round for me. Last weekend I did 30 miles along the southern upland way (Lauder to Traquaire) which had a lot of hard track and road on it (not least the fiddely sections through 3 towns with diversions due to train and flood defence works) which meant I probably did even more on tarmac than I should have and they were fine. Not had them long enough to comment on relative rates of wear though.
 mbh 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I have used Mizuno Wave Ascends for this sort of thing for about 100 miles now. I only have road shoes to compare them with, but they are very comfortable, much better off-road, and still OK for sections on tarmac. The sole doesn't look as though it should wear too rapidly when on road.

> Possible confusion alert: Do Salomon make a shoe called XT? The XT I mean is the Adidas Adizero XT.

Yes they do, several! But that's great about the Adizero, because the shop have those in stock too.
 Tall Clare 04 Jun 2014

Aren't Salomon and Adidas all part of the same company? Both fit my feet well though I always have to go up a size.
 HB1 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I don't do a vast amount of running anymore, but when I do, I wear the Mizuno Wave Harriers - very comfortable off-road, and quite OK for relatively short distances on the road. I've been wearing them for several years, and since you've used Mizunos before, they would probably fit your feet. However, they DO smell (unlike any other running shoes I've had
In reply to Tall Clare:

According to Wikipedia

Bought from Adidas in 2005 by AmerSport, who are Finnish. It seems they own Mavic as well. I always assumed Salomon were American, it seems they, like Mavic, are a French brand, although obviously no longer French owned.
In reply to mbh:

> I have used Mizuno Wave Ascends ...

Another option, thanks
 Tall Clare 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Complete Runner? They're very knowledgeable.
 Mark Torrance 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Wave Harriers work well for me for anything other than full-on fell races. Good on road (unless, I suppose, you feel the need for loads of bouncy sole). If you are already wearing Mizuno this would seem a sensible place to start?
barrow_matt 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I have a pair of Adidas Kanadia and did my first run in them as 10 mile on mostly tarmac (and I hadn't run 10 miles for many years!). I bought them from Wiggle in the sale but got the wrong size, luckily Wiggle do a no hassle free return service so I swapped my UK9 for a UK10. I usually get a 9 in my general wear street trainers but think I definitely need a 10 (EU44) in running shoes to allow a bit of toe room.
 steveriley 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I've found Wave Harriers and Roclite 295s both pretty tolerant of a bit of tarmac and still pretty good for not quite full fell terrain. I've done plenty of races in both. I still miss the Mizunos after I changed on the grass verge and drove off without them

I'm on a cheap pair of Montrail Rogues now - also small for size!
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Complete Runner? They're very knowledgeable.

Yes, and also very patient!
 Tall Clare 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

They've been very nice to me (and my cluelessness) in the past - I ended up with a pair of Mizuno Wave Ascends from them. It was a couple of years ago, the black and yellow ones, so I look like I have bees on my feet.
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. In the end, after trying on two sizes of about ten different shoes, multiple times, swapping from one foot to the other to compare fit, support, comfort, etc, etc I went for a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s which were, of course, the first pair I'd tried on.

They feel like slippers even with the fairly aggressive tread. I'll be wearing them for real on Saturday!

I can't recommend Complete Runner highly enough, the saleswoman has the patience of a saint!
 mbh 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's is so understated compared to how they are now, especially the ones for women (men get yellow, orange and black, women get pink with some purple thrown in).

I haven't done many off-road events, but when I have, I have been struck by two things that make the participants look odd: the pop socks (they call it compression) and the shoes, all in hideous colours.
 Tall Clare 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mbh:

I'm not sure if they're Mizunos or New Balance but Mr TC has some that are mostly luminous orange with some lime green 'accents'. They're quite remarkable.
 mattrm 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I have a pair of Asics Gel Trabuco (sometimes Gel-Fuji Trabuco) which are good trail shoes and do well on the road as well.
 Paul Atkinson 04 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

another thumbs up for Brooks Cascadias - used them on both UTLD 50 and 100 which have some miles of tarmac in with trail and fell and have done 100s of miles of off road training in them. Was hoping to do UTMB this year and they would have been my choice. As others have said, they're not good on mud and wet grassy descents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...