UKC

Sir Bradley Wiggins set to miss 2014 Tour de France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 06 Jun 2014
Wiggins told BBC Breakfast: "The team is focused around Chris Froome.

"I am gutted. I've worked extremely hard for this throughout the winter and up to the summer. I feel I am in the form I was two years ago."

He added: "But I also understand that cycling is a team sport and it is all about Team Sky winning and Chris is defending champion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27729769
 andy 06 Jun 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:
A response to Froome's media campaign? Forcing Sky to say something? Sulking? Who knows...
 jethro kiernan 06 Jun 2014

Possible move in the near future, he only has a few years left at top flight GC
 Oujmik 06 Jun 2014

Sky still have Richie Porte, but beyond that I'm not sure who they have left to fill the super-domestique role. Wiggins out, Uran gone to QS... Cataldo and Deignan looked okay in the Giro but no idea if they'll be in the squad.
 Hat Dude 06 Jun 2014

Quite a restrained statement, especially in relation to some of the stuff Froome has been quoted as saying recently.

Reinforces what Enty said in another post about Froome lacking "class"
 link 06 Jun 2014

It's quite frustrating really, Wiggins could do such a brilliant job looking after Froome, he has the potential to cause absolute chaos with other leaders. It's a shame Sky can't sort their house out and get them working together. I wouldn't be suprised to see Wiggins at a team like Greenedge next year. I don't blame Wiggins though, I'm not sure I'd get on with Froome either.
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014

So what happens if Froome crashes out early on?
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> So what happens if Froome crashes out early on?

Porte takes over. What do you think, they all come home?
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Reinforces what Enty said in another post about Froome lacking "class"

Looks more like Wiggins spitting his dummy out to me. He clearly has no intention of working for the team.
 lummox 06 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Great- hopefully leaves Froome more open to attack by Valverde and/or Contador. The TDF might be a bit more like the Vuelta and not an utter snoozefest.
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:
Arsehole, I meant if Wiggins is in the squad you have a proven GC winner there to take over the reigns
Post edited at 09:47
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

> Great- hopefully leaves Froome more open to attack by Valverde and/or Contador. The TDF might be a bit more like the Vuelta and not an utter snoozefest.

Great! It might be won by a doper, but as long as it's exciting.
 lummox 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

you have proof that either/both of them are doping ? Share it with Sky and the authorities then..
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Arsehole, I meant if Wiggins is in the squad you have a proven GC winner there to take over the reigns

Calm down dear, it's still a month away.
 The New NickB 06 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

> you have proof that either/both of them are doping ? Share it with Sky and the authorities then..

Doping! Well we don't know about any of them for certain, but doper was the term used. Valverde and Contador have both served bans for doping.
 PeterM 06 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Looks more like Wiggins spitting his dummy out to me. He clearly has no intention of working for the team.

Sensing an element of that too. Neither of them ooze class or charisma, but I'm guessing they are not employed for that.

This may well be a part of a strategy from Wiggins whip up public support to make it harder for sky to leave him out the team.

There was an interesting discussion about the Froome-Wiggins question on the cycling podcast this week https://audioboo.fm/boos/2221073-sky-s-dilemma-should-wiggins-go-to-the-tou...

There is fashionable view the Wiggins is the good guy and Froome is the source of all the problems but the reality seems more complex than that. Both are great riders and it's a shame they can't find a way to work together.
 lummox 06 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Served bans and are now clear to ride again- like the other GC contenders. So why bring it up ?
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

> Served bans and are now clear to ride again- like the other GC contenders. So why bring it up ?

You brought the dopers into it, I'd rather not see races won by cheats.
 lummox 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I mentioned GC contenders who were clear to race, just like Froome, Porte etc. are.

I find your conviction that others must be clean because they haven't been caught very endearing.
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

> I mentioned GC contenders who were clear to race, just like Froome, Porte etc. are.

> I find your conviction that others must be clean because they haven't been caught very endearing.

I see, you rank people who have been found to have doped on the same level as those who haven't. Well, as long as they get away with it.
Clauso 06 Jun 2014

I've emailed Sky and given them the nod that I'm available, if need be. I'd be good for a couple of miles, I reckon... If they bring me on around the descent from Holme Moss or Woodhead Pass, then I haven't got too far to go to get back home either.

I've left it with them anyhow. See what they say.
 lummox 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I have a bridge for sale if you're in need of one ?

Btw, Team Sky- really ? Their owners have such an interesting approach to ethical business practices elsewhere in their portfolio don't they ?

I think Wiggins is upset because he sees this as his last tour chance if, as he has said, he is going to return to track next year in build up to 2016 Olympics. Still surely better to be in the team just in case Froome crashes or cracks? Also surely final decision by Sky depends on warm up races? For me as a spectator ideal solution would be for Froome and Wiggins to race in different teams
 Sir Chasm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

> I have a bridge for sale if you're in need of one ?

I wouldn't want to deprive you of your home.

> Btw, Team Sky- really ? Their owners have such an interesting approach to ethical business practices elsewhere in their portfolio don't they ?

They're lovely.
 Chris the Tall 06 Jun 2014

He's taking it very well for a guy who's been completed shafted by his team.
The inference is clear - Froome will not have Wiggins in his team, so even if Porte and others crash or do badly in the Dauphine, they'll still be no place. Only if Froome himself gets injured would he be in.

I guess by going public - but appearing to accept the decision - he's hoping that pressure will be brought to bear by the sponsors.
In reply to lummox:

> Served bans and are now clear to ride again- like the other GC contenders..

Not all the GC contenders are proven dopers, by Contador and Valverde are.

Excuse my ignorance but would it be possible for Wiggins to change teams at this late stage?
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
> For me as a spectator ideal solution would be for Froome and Wiggins to race in different teams

Sky1 and Sky2
Post edited at 10:40

> Excuse my ignorance but would it be possible for Wiggins to change teams at this late stage?

No. Transfers not allowed mid-season. Special permission required to add a new rider to team - such as Petachi coming out of retirement to join QPRS.
 Skyfall 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I heard an interview with Froome last night in which he accused Wiggins of being mentally weak and having cracked on the occasion Froome appeared to attack the lead and tempororaily leave Wiggins behind (during Wiggins TdF win). Lovely.

Contador's conviction looking very harsh in light of the Roger's acquittal.

I don't doubt he was doping, probably out of comp and then transfusing blood. Still like the story that it was a tip-off by Bruyneel that led to his sample being sent to the only lab that could detect it. But in legal terms the conviction is unsafe.

If his conviction is overturned, I'll stop calling him a convicted doper! I think that is fair.
 LastBoyScout 06 Jun 2014

I still think it was a disgrace that Wiggins wasn't allowed to defend his title last year, regardless of anything else going on in the team.

I've never liked Froome - I hope he is unable to complete the Tour.

Big shame it's too late for Wiggins to join another team and put Froome in his place.
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Wiggins was in no state to defend last year.

Him leaving won't put Froome "in his place". Froome is the better GC rider and is rightfully team Skys leader.
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> I heard an interview with Froome last night in which he accused Wiggins of being mentally weak and having cracked on the occasion Froome appeared to attack the lead and tempororaily leave Wiggins behind (during Wiggins TdF win). Lovely.

Do you have a link ? I hate trying to get the inferences in interviews through someone's possibly not impartial interpretation.

r0b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

"Chris Froome: I sensed mental weakness in Sir Bradley Wiggins"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27722064

David Millar full of sympathy for his sister - press officer for Team Sky

"Having a nice Friday at the office @franmillar? Nothing like a quiet, chilled out day before the weekend. TGIF huh?! Lovely."

1poundSOCKS 06 Jun 2014
In reply to r0b:

That was the headline, which implies those were Froome's words. I might have missed it, but I couldn't see where he used those words in the article.
 r0b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

When asked by BBC Radio 5 live if it was a sign of weakness, Froome, 29, said: "Yes, it was to an extent."
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

He agreed with the interviewers suggestion.

Either way it's not a nice way to talk about a rival, let alone a team mate. Can't see him winning SPOTY any time soon, but don't think he'll worry about that.
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jun 2014
In reply to r0b:

Not the same as the headline. I think if he used the words in the headline, it reflects differently on his character.
 wbo 06 Jun 2014

Well it puts the pressure on Froome to not fall off in the first , not get stuck behind crashes in the first week and so on and so forth.

All this stuff about him being a better GC rider is based on about 4km at the top of one hill. He didn't win the time trials that year and did lost some minutes earlier in the race due to carelessness. It's a risky decision on Sky's part as if he falls off, gets sick or so on their season will probably centre round Wiggins and the Vuelta..
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Reflects very poorly on his character either way - whilst Wiggins is (appearing) to bury the hatchet, Froome is stirring things up and giving Sky a "Him or Me" ultimatum.
 Rich D 06 Jun 2014

anyone recommend any cycling forums for indepth discussion of this?
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
In reply to wbo:

> Well it puts the pressure on Froome to not fall off in the first , not get stuck behind crashes in the first week and so on and so forth.

> All this stuff about him being a better GC rider is based on about 4km at the top of one hill. He didn't win the time trials that year and did lost some minutes earlier in the race due to carelessness. It's a risky decision on Sky's part as if he falls off, gets sick or so on their season will probably centre round Wiggins and the Vuelta..

He was pretty impressive all the way up the Ventoux....

....then again he did bonk on Alpe d'Huez
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Not to mention surviving a complete day in the mountains isolated from his team. In a way that was the most impressive bit.
 Rich D 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

perfect
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Rich D:

Nice thing about that forum is that they are all racers and not fat punters watching telly all day
 Mike Highbury 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Nice thing about that forum is that they are all racers and not fat punters watching telly all day

In the same Way as we are all climbers?
 FreshSlate 06 Jun 2014

They both need to grow up. Pair of babies.
 Phil79 06 Jun 2014

More important than all this 'will he/wont he ride the TDF' speculation etc, lets focus on the more important question - what do we think of his beard?
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jun 2014

By answering a question honestly?
 Oujmik 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Phil79:

Beards are all the rage with hipster cyclists these days. Brad's probably not riding because they told him that he couldn't ride his steel fixie or wear tight trousers.

Didn't take long

http://velocast.cc/free-the-kilburn-one
 Alun 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Rich D:

> anyone recommend any cycling forums for indepth discussion of this?

My experience is that you usually get better discussion of cycling issues here. As evidence I submit the very first reply on the timetriallingforum to which woolsack links.
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Alun:

Yes, silly me, I should have found a knitting or cooking forum. I'll check Mumsnet
 andy 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

There's his problem - he thinks it starts in Harrogate. He'd be riding the first stage the wrong way round...
Removed User 06 Jun 2014

It appears that Yorkshire County Council have been in touch with Sir David to complain about their inability to cope with the crowds..

....He's now just reduced them by half.
 Mike Highbury 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> It appears that Yorkshire County Council have been in touch with Sir David to complain about their inability to cope with the crowds..

> ....He's now just reduced them by half.

I'm sure that they'll recover once the race proper starts
 r0b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

7 pages? Is that all? 28 pages over on Bikeradar Pro Race!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12970459

> It appears that Yorkshire County Council have been in touch with Sir David to complain about their inability to cope with the crowds..

You would struggle, purely on the basis that they don't exist.
Removed User 06 Jun 2014

You need to get out more.
 ro8x 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Rich D:

inrng.com is a great source of information on most issues related to the pro cycling scene.
In reply to ro8x:

Agree

Also the velocast podcasts http://velocast.cc/ are well worth the money
"This week in cycling history" is fascinating - was listening last night to the stuff about Roche and Visentini in the 87 Giro. Makes Wiggins and Froome look like handbags at dawn !
 woolsack 06 Jun 2014
In reply to r0b:

> 7 pages? Is that all? 28 pages over on Bikeradar Pro Race!

The Tour will be over once you've gone through all of that!

> You need to get out more.

I'll go to the pub, I assume you have been there some time.
 DaveHK 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Nice thing about that forum is that they are all racers and not fat punters watching telly all day

Last time I did a TT about a third of the other competitors were fat bastards. They couldn't half put the power down though.

Interesting that not only did Wiggins choose to speak to the BBC this morning, there is absolutely nothing on this on the sky sports website.

Also Sky bet is offering odds on Henao and Kennaugh, neither of whom are that likely to start, but not on Wiggins
 Henry Iddon 06 Jun 2014

It's a disgrace.

This is my view on it -

Brailsford isn't interested in sentiment - DB / Sky / GB will be thinking > thanks Brad you won the tour for us once and your Olympic medals have helped secure funding for our wages and the BC 'project' / and all the sponsorship from Sky but your yesterdays man. Oh but one thing - we're looking a bit weak on the mens track squad now so we'd like you to get on the track for Rio and win a medal to get us loads more funding before you retire.

Apparently he's been told to concentrate on the Commonwealth Games.

FFS.
 GrahamD 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Without DB, Wiggins would have washed up years ago. He's a particularly self destructing character.
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Really - do you know him personally?

It's not unusual for an elite sportsperson to let there hair down after a long period of intensive training and deprivation - there needs to be release valve. Neither is it surprising that after a stellar year a persons performance dips the following season before refocusing on new goals.

There are multiple influences that make a sports person successful - I don't doubt that an improved BC set up helped Brad but I don't think you can put it purely down to DB.
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

And lets face it it appears that Froome is picking the team anyway. So much for DB and his strong man management skills.
Removed User 07 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> Without DB, Wiggins would have washed up years ago. He's a particularly self destructing character.

Out of interest, what were your opinions of Wiggins before he won the Tour? I only ask because it seems to be a particularly British trait to support someone until they win and then find every reason to knock them.
Post edited at 15:32
 Jim Hamilton 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:
Even if Brailsford isn't interested in sentiment, why is that a disgrace - isn't it all meant to be about "winning" ?
Post edited at 16:04
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

It is all about winning to Brailsford. Robert Millar sums it up perfectly here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-blog-man-down
SKY - the Man City of Cycling.

E
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> And lets face it it appears that Froome is picking the team anyway. So much for DB and his strong man management skills.

Robert Millar agrees with you mate. read the blog Henry, it's a good read.

E
 Enty 07 Jun 2014

Love this bit:

Things are pretty desperate when a national hero like Bradley Wiggins, first British winner of the Tour, one of the most successful Olympians, BBC Sportsman of the Year, honoured by the Queen, feted and admired throughout the land isn't at the start of a Tour de France in his own country.'

E
Removed User 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

If Wiggins doesn't get a place (and part of me can't let go of the hope that he still does) I for one won't be supporting Froome. If that sounds like sour grapes then that is because it is.

I think Millar has it right. It's not that Wiggins isn't good enough, its that Froome is scared of some payback. I think its that Froome is scared that Bradley might actually be better than him which will overshadow his performance.
Removed User 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

I'm actually quite pissed off about this. I'm coming from Canada to watch the start and I wanted to see Wiggins and to have that chance removed because of a decision by Chris Froome does not endear him to me.

My comment earlier about crowd reduction measures was only partially in jest. I think this decision will impact the level of interest in Britain.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014

I'm pissed off too. Sky can F off now as far as I'm concerned.

E
andymac 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Love this bit:

> Things are pretty desperate when a national hero like Bradley Wiggins, first British winner of the Tour, one of the most successful Olympians, BBC Sportsman of the Year, honoured by the Queen, feted and admired throughout the land isn't at the start of a Tour de France in his own country.'

> E

Yes ,there is something not right about the whole situation.

And rather sad ,if it was going to be his last attempt at the Tour.

Could come back to bite Brailsford in the arse, if Froome hits trouble.

Removed User 07 Jun 2014

> If Wiggins doesn't get a place (and part of me can't let go of the hope that he still does) I for one won't be supporting Froome. If that sounds like sour grapes then that is because it is.

Ditto.

> I think Millar has it right. It's not that Wiggins isn't good enough, its that Froome is scared of some payback. I think its that Froome is scared that Bradley might actually be better than him which will overshadow his performance.

When I first read that I thought, nahhh, but actually you may have a point. If Wiggins stayed within a couple of minutes of Froome through the mountains as his team mate, he could take a significant chunk out of him in the final time trial and threaten his (assumeed) lead. Given The Mekon's behaviour in 2012, I wouldn't blame him.

And yes, it takes a lot of sheen off going to Yorkshire in July.
 Mike Highbury 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

> Yes ,there is something not right about the whole situation.

> And rather sad ,if it was going to be his last attempt at the Tour.

> Could come back to bite Brailsford in the arse, if Froome hits trouble.

On the contrary the history of grand tours with rivals in the same team is not a pretty one, what you you have Sky's management do?
 yer maw 07 Jun 2014
Without being on the inside, no-ne can really know whether it is Froome or Wiggins who would be the cause of much ado in the team. Froome is the better GC rider no doubt, and he did what he did in the 2012 Tour to show he was but still supported Wiggins. Froome would've won that Tour and everyone knows it.
Last year it looked to me like a lot more unity in the team and they all rode great together demolishing the opposition. Perhaps that is a sign of Wiggins insidious affect??
Both are great cyclists and like all the top winners have an ego to match. The reality is Wiggins should've changed team but then I don't think he would have got the same deal or team support or results, whereas Froome has plenty Tour wins left in him.
As it stands they should've allowed Wiggins to ride and let him act in a responsible manner supporting Froome, but perhaps the rest of the team know he would've been a pain in the backside and they collectively decided they'd rather support Froome.
All conjecture but good cycling news that gets Sky in the news rightly or wrongly I doubt they care.
 Chris the Tall 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

Unfortunately he gets things wrong from the start. It wasn't sky trying to bury the news or dismissing Wiggins form - sky have said absolutely nothing. Wiggins has done the talking - and to the BBC - and both facts are significant.

I still maintain the decision might not be a final as Wiggins claims - he's playing to the gallery and has ensured that pressure will be put on Froome. And very impressive by the former to make sure the latter come out as the selfish, egotistical, arrogant one!

But like most people I like wiggins, for all his faults, and just can't warm to Froome.

What I can't understand is why Frrome doesn't simply insist wiggins has to work early on - well before Porte and the other riders he can trust. That way he has an early warning of disloyalty.

More to the point - what's he worried about - Wiggins causing him to crash when no ones looking ?

quite a lot of ranting on Team Sky's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSky?v=wall&ref=ts
 andy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to yer maw:

> Froome would've won that Tour and everyone knows it.

Aargh! Why? Why would he have won it "and everybody knows it" when he lost over 2 minutes in TTs? How much time would he take in 2 or 3km at the top of a couple of climbs? Sprinters lose about a minute per km in the mountains - how much time would Wiggins have realistically have lost at the top of two climbs (one of which was flat for the last km)?

AlisonSmiles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Do you really think that?
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Yes
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014

Wiggins has been told to prepare for the Commonwealth Games and the training program he's been given is geared towards the track.

So I think it's reasonable for him to conclude he's not going to the Tour.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014

>

> More to the point - what's he worried about - Wiggins causing him to crash when no ones looking ?

He's worried about Wiggins working for him and staying within a couple of minutes of him throughout the tour then nicking it in the TT or at any time when Froome has a bad day like he did last year.
Which is what I'd do if I was Wiggins to make him pay for his stupid willy waving display on La Toussuire.

E

andy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty: perfectly put. It'll be interesting to see what reception Froome gets in July round here.

Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014

And lets face it GB who have stake in Sky will need Brad to save their bacon in Rio - funding being linked to medals and all that. As it stands the womens team MAY land a few but the mens track squad is looking weak. They'll be desperate for him to start focusing on the track to land a Gold in Brazil.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

> perfectly put. It'll be interesting to see what reception Froome gets in July round here.

Judging by the reaction from the majority of my cycling FB friends I'm not to sure it's going to be a good one.
I know there's a month to go but has SKY / DB shot themsleves in the foot?

E
 Sir Chasm 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty: A month to go, the dauphine and the tour de suisse to race, no official comment from sky...still, lots of knickers getting twisted.

AlisonSmiles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Is Bradley really the kind of person you can Tell to do something he's not interested in, do you think? From what you know of him?
 Enty 07 Jun 2014

Wow!!!!!

I just read the comments on the SKY team FB page.

Bloody hell!

E
 andy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Wow!!!!!

> I just read the comments on the SKY team FB page.

> Bloody hell!

> E

yep. given that Sky sponsor a team to build positive feelings about their brand they might be slightly regretting letting Froome loose. But as I said on our club's page - Brailsford won't give a stuff.
 yer maw 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

aye perhaps but to me Froome was coasting in that Tour and if out to win would've lost less time in the time trials, plus he kept Wiggins in it I'm sure you'd agree with that. All good fun debating though and really looking forward to this Tour.
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014

He's a professional he'll do what he needs to do. But he also has a personality and will speak his mind - something that endures him to fans. Brands who sponsor athletes need fans.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to yer maw:

But do you think Wiggins would have just sat there on La Toussiere if he really thought douche bag was attacking him for real? Works both ways.

E
 AlisonSmiles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Given his ability to focus on goals which inspire him, I kind of doubt he'd do anything he doesn't want to do. The concept of a team being able to "Tell" adult professionals what to do is just puzzling, particularly those with personalities, ambitions and talent.
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014
> Even if Brailsford isn't interested in sentiment, why is that a disgrace - isn't it all meant to be about "winning" ?

Yes winning. But winning with style, grace and honour is even better.

Here's a quote from Vincente del Bosque - former manager of Real Madrid ( 2 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues) and Spain ( One European Championship and One world cup and who knows in Brazil….)

Before the last world cup final -

"On the day of the final I spoke to the players. I told them to think of themselves as the romantics of football facing the most important game of their lives. I was appealing to the romanticism that I think a lot of us carry since childhood. However much you professionalise football, however much money is involved, the important thing is to defend the nobility of football. I told them we aren't soldiers. We are not here to pick a fight. We are players, talented young people. We can play good football and achieve something collectively."

The same should apply to Team Sky.

The problem is Braislford comes from a business management background and sees things in B+W.
Hence all the talk of 'the numbers' - he recently referred to Froome as "a value added cyclist" - meaning the team had got more from him than they originally anticipated. But it's all so charmless and indicates someone who would be equally successful working for Heinz selling tins of beans and improving productivity. He's not naturally a man manger. He's an organiser - which is what he did for GB by bringing in other people with expertise.

Before Euro 2012 there was a big bust up between Madrid and Barca players. Real vitriol. But del Bosque took those in the national team to one side and managed to clear the air and bond the team with a common purpose.

If DB was a natural man manger - working with the shades of grey in all our characters he would have been able to sort team harmony out. But he sees the world in black and white.
Post edited at 22:51
 Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014
Well they pay the wages. If a boss tells a staff member to do something they generally do it.

Brad is a scholar of cycling history and is keen to leave a legacy - I'm sure if he had ridden for Froome people would have respected him hugely - adding to his legacy. And who knows he may have even got on the podium assuming Froome won so Brad could have still had a respectable 2nd or 3rd.

As far as I'm aware not many riders in the yellow jersey have acted as lead out men to one of their team mates on the last stage in Paris. Exactly what Brad did for Cav in 2012. Thats class.
Post edited at 22:58
 AlisonSmiles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:
Kind of laughing at the concept that a boss who tells a cyclist what to do would find that a particularly productive approach. What kind of a world that be, dictated to? Imagine that, eh? Potentially not the best way to get the best out of folk. I definitely don't always do what I'm told because sometimes my instinct and experience tells me to do otherwise, and my boss isn't dissimilar to theirs, he listens to reason.

I have a vast, huge amount of respect, and liking for both Brad and Froome, individuals who do their own thing as professionals looking to achieve their goals. There's a lot to admire with both.

hehehe ... why can't well all just get on ...
Post edited at 23:06
 andy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> As far as I'm aware not many riders in the yellow jersey have acted as lead out men to one of their team mates on the last stage in Paris. Exactly what Brad did for Cav in 2012. Thats class.

agree completely - I think Wiggo would have played the perfect super-domestique role because he "gets it". And those shots from 2012 still give me goosebumps - seeing (I think) Liquigas desperately trying to get their bloke up to the front as Wiggo hammered it out. Class.
Post edited at 23:10

From a UKC perspective this reminds me a little of the Whillans Bonington rift
 Chris the Tall 08 Jun 2014

Which one ? Presumably dropping Whillans from the Everest expeds in the 70s rather than the Eiger in the 60s. Yes I can see the similarities between Whiilland and Wiggins, and even more between Bonners and Brailsford, but is Haston the Froome character who refuses to allow Whillans on the team? And would Whillans ever have offered to be no more than a super domestique.

But I could see Wiggins with a beer belly, punching foreigners and taking "practical fish keeping" as his reading material for the tour !
In reply to Enty:

> He's worried about Wiggins working for him and staying within a couple of minutes of him throughout the tour then nicking it in the TT or at any time when Froome has a bad day like he did last year.

If wiggins could do his share of the work for Froome in the mountains and not lose more than a couple of minutes then a) he'd deserve to win and b) it would be utterly astounding

A more likely scenario would be that Froome loses time in the first week and wiggins demands protection or even to be team leader. I can't work out why more teams don't use two leaders to ensure other teams do more work.

> Which is what I'd do if I was Wiggins to make him pay for his stupid willy waving display on La Toussuire.

To be fair to Froome, it was pretty frustrating to have done all the work and still be expected to hang back just in case wiggo needed more nursing. Who knows, had Wiggins reacted better, would things have been differant now ?

Removed User 08 Jun 2014

You mean like the nursing Froome needed in 2013?
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2014

I didn't really have an opinion on Wiggins pre 2012. I don't have anything against him now - but there are two (at least) sides to this story and all I can do is give my impressions from what he's said publicly. I haven't a clue what ultimatum he's given team Sky. Probably not unlike the one Froome gave inn 2011. Its down to the team management what they chose to do then. Presumably they thought they couldn't accomodate Wiggins' demands.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> And lets face it it appears that Froome is picking the team anyway. So much for DB and his strong man management skills.

Presumably DB doesn't think he can make the team work with both Wiggins and the defending champion ? who knows what conditions Wiggins put on him riding ?
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

Well Sky presumably were under team orders to get behind Cav on that stage. After all they had already achieved their main goal so why not ?
Removed User 08 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Presumably they thought they couldn't accomodate Wiggins' demands.

I'm not clear why you think he made any, other than to request inclusion in the Tour team which, lets face it, is an entirely reasonable request.
 Enty 08 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> Well Sky presumably were under team orders to get behind Cav on that stage. After all they had already achieved their main goal so why not ?

The Yellow Jersey still has to cross the line on the last day.
Putting Wiggins in so much danger at the end of 3 weeks, unbelievably risky, totally crazy..........but also fucking beautiful!

E
Post edited at 06:28
 Ardo 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:
Enty, you know more than enough about cycling to know that they only have to get to 3k and they'd get the same time as the group they were in, should they be involved in a crash. Could be seen as smart tactics?
 Enty 08 Jun 2014
In reply to nrhardy:

But if they don't cross the line they get feck all - unless they changed the rules.
Remember Abdou having to stagger across the line to get his green jersey in 1991?
Then he went straight to hospital and missed all the celebrations.

E
 Ardo 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

91, how old do you think I am? Bugger, I am old enough to remember that year, though following the tribulations of England's cricket team was my choice of sport, in those far off distant days, (violin plays in background!).

The only person who has actually said Wiggo won't be in the tour is Wiggo himself (although apparently with very good reason considering the build up). Team Sky's official line is that the line up will be decided after the Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.

I suspect Barilsford my have been caught wrong footed by the wider reaction in support of Wiggo, not just on their own FB page but for instance here:
https://www.facebook.com/Wewantwiggo
Lets not forget that the ultimate paymaster is SKY. I can't imagine a sponsor more vulnerable to adverse UK sentiment (and the popular press when they decide to run with it).

So if no disasters in the Tour de Suisse I expect Wiggo to be appointed super domestique when the tour is announced and Froome will told to put up and shut up.

Of course Wiggo probably realised this when making his press announcement.

Bring it on!
 Toby_W 08 Jun 2014

I think I posted earlier that I also think it's shame they can't ride together it would have been great for the tactics the other teams would have had to react to.

Amazing how for and against each character people are, I know almost nothing about them as people bar their media shows.

Froome the mild mannered swot with the polar opposite GF and Wiggins the moody cool kid. Wiggins won in 2012 Froome stuck his head up as a GC rider and got his knuckles wrapped by wiggins who did'nt invite him to the party pay him his bonus or congratulate him for winning the next year. Though pinch of salt this is all reported in the media.

Sad they're not both in but as is I hope the names all make it through to the mountains.

To those who say they've now lost interest, for real??? If Froome had reversed his car over Bradley's bike and glued one of his hands to his sideburns in his sleep to stop him riding it would only make it even more compelling to watch. The tour has already started. No rider is greater than the tdf and I am sooo excited and then I have the tob to look forward to over dartmoor. To quote the film Bolt.

Let it begin, let it begin.

Cheers

Toby

Toby_W 08 Jun 2014
In reply to kevin stephens: yep and yep!

Cheers

Toby

GrahamD 08 Jun 2014

We don't know on what terms he asked to be included. I bet it wasn't as bottle carrier to Porte and Froome.
Removed User 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Putting Wiggins in so much danger at the end of 3 weeks, unbelievably risky, totally crazy..........but also f*cking beautiful!

Exactly, one of my all time favourite sporting moments, if not the most. Don't think that was team orders was it? I thought it was Wiggo's decision simply because he wanted to lead Cav out at the end, partly to say thanks for the domestique work the world's best sprinter had done for him.
 Mike Highbury 08 Jun 2014

> Exactly, one of my all time favourite sporting moments, if not the most. Don't think that was team orders was it? I thought it was Wiggo's decision simply because he wanted to lead Cav out at the end, partly to say thanks for the domestique work the world's best sprinter had done for him.

Of course it was team orders. There was even an in-race TV camera broadcast of Sean Yates giving his cod instructions over the radio reminding them what to do.
as I was saying
http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9341958/tour-de-france-sir-dav...

"Brailsford confirmed that Froome would lead the team but that the reigning champion would have no say on whether Wiggins – with whom he has a tense relationship - would be part of the line-up"
Post edited at 12:36
 Cuthbert 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Salt and sauce or salt and pepper? Which did he go for?
andymac 08 Jun 2014

Wonder if Brailsford switched on BBC Breakfast ,whilst munching his cornflakes, and nearly fell off his barstool.

'"what the hell is Brad doing on there.Nobody told me about this"
Removed User 08 Jun 2014

Fair enough, I don't recall it.
 Enty 08 Jun 2014

> Fair enough, I don't recall it.

It doesn't matter. I think you'll find when Yatesy told them it was time to go to the front for Cav, he also added "that doesn't f*cking include you Wiggo"

E
Removed User 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

Yes, emphatically not team orders for Wiggins to lead out then. Makes much more sense, and all the more kudos to Wiggo for getting his head down and doing it.
 Enty 08 Jun 2014

> If wiggins could do his share of the work for Froome in the mountains and not lose more than a couple of minutes then a) he'd deserve to win and b) it would be utterly astounding

>

Like Froome in 2012?

E
In reply to Enty:

> It doesn't matter. I think you'll find when Yatesy told them it was time to go to the front for Cav, he also added "that doesn't f*cking include you Wiggo"

> E

I'll pit my memory against yours.

youtube.com/watch?v=JLiH2tvuf2A&

See around 28 minutes

SY says no more than the team must get BW to the 1km mark and the rest will follow. Quite what is not stated by him but the commentators fill in that BW will lead out MC... And I cannot believe that was good journalism on PL's and PS's part, they just ain't that smart.

Enty 08 Jun 2014

Mine was tongue in cheek. You need to get out more

E
In reply to Enty:
> Mine was tongue in cheek. You need to get out more

> E

I'm not entirely sure I believe that but, yes, I take your point.

One thing that does occur to me is that I bet that the Yates are ever more grateful that they went to OGR.
Post edited at 16:45
Removed User 08 Jun 2014

As Enty says, doesn't really matter, but thanks for posting that link anyway, I can never get tired of the footage of Cav sprinting to the line nor the credits sequence at the end.

Having spent the afternoon watching the excellent doc Slaying the Badger - on Lemond and Hinault in 85 and 86 - I can understand why Froome is so paranoid. The moral of that tale is never trust a rival, even if he's a team mate, even if he owes you a favour and especially if he's a national hero. And although the film was ostensibly about Lemond, with Hinault the villain of the piece, but you ended up with more than a sneaking admiration for him !

Also, it has to be said that the racing was far more interesting back them - pre EPO and pre race radios

> From a UKC perspective this reminds me a little of the Whillans Bonington rift

Thinking about it Maverick and Iceman out of Top Gun may be more apt. But I'm not sure we will ever get to hear "You can be my wingman anytime Wiggo!"
 Mike Highbury 09 Jun 2014

> Thinking about it Maverick and Iceman out of Top Gun may be more apt. But I'm not sure we will ever get to hear "You can be my wingman anytime Wiggo!"

Christ that's perfect.

B and C were deeply in love but their evil wives guarded their men jealously. Then the day came that they were forced to fight alongside each other and, in the face of overwhelming odds, they returned to Paris hand and hand in triumph and free, at last, to express their love without constraint.

Enty 09 Jun 2014

> Christ that's perfect.

> B and C were deeply in love but their evil wives guarded their men jealously. Then the day came that they were forced to fight alongside each other and, in the face of overwhelming odds, they returned to Paris hand and hand in triumph and free, at last, to express their love without constraint.

Awesome!

E
Removed User 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

So, two questions for ya Enty.

Is it possible that Sky could manipulate Sir Brad's performance in Switzerland in order to prove a point eg. not give him enough support?

Is it possible that after today, Froome realizes his best help might actually be Sir Bradley?
 AlisonSmiles 10 Jun 2014

First question, no way.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2014

Any truth in the rumour that Sky will be taking two Death Stars to the tour ?
 AlisonSmiles 10 Jun 2014

As little truth as there would be in the resolution to the squad line up for the tour resting in some interesting mud wrestling between close supporters of big name riders ...
 Enty 10 Jun 2014

> As little truth as there would be in the resolution to the squad line up for the tour resting in some interesting mud wrestling between close supporters of big name riders ...

That's a shame

E
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2014

You know what - it would be just brilliant if Team Sky said "Wiggins will ride the tour, but will travel in a separate bus, stay in a separate hotel, and quite frankly we haven't a f**king clue what he'll do"

Won't happen, but it'd be brilliant entertainment and would cause confusion amongst all the other teams
Removed User 10 Jun 2014

And the second question?

(seeing that you chose to answer for Enty )
 AlisonSmiles 10 Jun 2014

Hehehe, I got protective of Bradley and Froomie. No accounting for why speculation is to be had over Froome. Closed book to me!

well after the Tour de Dauphine, and Tour de Suisse so far I guess Brailsford has more questions than answers. Word on the cycling forums (vocal minority?) is that Wiggo is losing because he's sulking. What to the more reasoned UKC pundits think?
 wbo 15 Jun 2014
In reply to kevin stephens: I'm not sure what you can read into the tour de Suisse results yet. - he didn't give it full lash in the tt , and today is meaningless.

For froome, who knows as well what happened tho' I doubt that today was planned, and does indicate prep is not where it has been in previous years. But it could be something small , simple something bigger. But I wouldn't call Froome a glued on winner at this point

Removed User 16 Jun 2014

I suspect he isn't sulking so much as reacting to the situation. IF he is off the TDF team then there really isn't any pressure to win the Tour de Suisse. If you watched him today he seemed like a man who had no worries and that might end up in his favour.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jun 2014

Wiggins came in 2.35 down today, apparently it's pretty obvious he isn't race fit or interested, so I think it's now absolutely certain he won't be riding the tour.

Whether he can motivate himself for the national champs or the CGs is another matter, but I doubt if he'll ride seriously for Sky again. And given the way he's been treated, I can't say I blame him.
 GrahamD 16 Jun 2014

Given the way he says he has been treated, that is...
 Cuthbert 16 Jun 2014

Could he move to another team at this stage?
 Mike Highbury 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

> Could he move to another team at this stage?

No
 tim000 16 Jun 2014

depends weather he is team leader or riding in support of henao. if riding in support why bust a gut to finish with the leaders . save your energy for when it`s needed later in the race . if he started as leader he wont be anymore though
 Chris the Tall 16 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Given the way he says he has been treated, that is...

You can argue that the way he is riding vindicates the decision , but it's pretty obvious that Froome has insisted he's not in the team. Wiggins did what was asked of him to prove his fitness in California - and do good work for the sponsors - but got back to be told it would make no difference

> Wiggins came in 2.35 down today, apparently it's pretty obvious he isn't race fit or interested, so I think it's now absolutely certain he won't be riding the tour.

> Whether he can motivate himself for the national champs or the CGs is another matter, but I doubt if he'll ride seriously for Sky again. And given the way he's been treated, I can't say I blame him.

He's probably saving himself for an appearance for the Southport CC evening 10's on his local course towards the end of the summer!
 abr1966 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Wiggins loses a further 2 mins today....isn't this just a case of throwing his rattle out of the pram?! If he wanted to ride the tour surely he would be trying to impress and making Brailsfords decision very difficult. Either he's not fit or can't be arsed. Who knows....either he is pissed off with Sky for saying hes not in the tour or he wasn't prepared to ride as a domestique for Froome and has ben playing tricks and running to the press.
Id put money on this being his last ride for Sky...
 GrahamD 16 Jun 2014

But was he told that ? as far as I can tell all we have is Brad saying "it was obvious that ....". That isn't Sky's position
 Sir Chasm 16 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD: No, what we have is a lot of guessing. They might be right, but the TdS has a long way to go and we'll have to wait and see (of course somebody above might be Brailsford, in which case I bow down before their knowledge).

woolsack 16 Jun 2014

Maybe he'll make one crazy 140km out break away just for the hell of it? Just to show he can do it.
 Enty 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Exactly. Who knows? Armstrong and ullrich used to ride the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse respectively before the tour. Sometimes they won sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they were minutes down then smashed it a month later.
To be a tour winner you need to be peaking in July, not in mid June. Ffs.

E
In reply to Enty:

Isn't that called "tapering" in sport speak?
 Enty 16 Jun 2014

I think peaking and tapering are different. I can peak 3/4 times a year but can taper for a individual race.

E
 woolsack 16 Jun 2014

Speaking of tapirs, Lord Rushby has been rather silent of late
Removed User 17 Jun 2014
In reply to abr1966:

> Wiggins loses a further 2 mins today....isn't this just a case of throwing his rattle out of the pram?! If he wanted to ride the tour surely he would be trying to impress and making Brailsfords decision very difficult. Either he's not fit or can't be arsed. Who knows....either he is pissed off with Sky for saying hes not in the tour or he wasn't prepared to ride as a domestique for Froome and has ben playing tricks and running to the press.

> Id put money on this being his last ride for Sky...

OR he has been told that he is in the TdF team, that he is now the leader as Froome has just sh*t the bed in the Dauphine and he needs to save himself

It could just be that Henao and Kennaugh have been given free rein in the TDS knowing full well that they'd be expected to be key Domestiques for the Tour, and that Brad is saving himself for the big Time Trial later in the race where he can measure his form against Tony Martin and Spartacus looking ahead to the Worlds ITT later in the year.
 Mike Highbury 17 Jun 2014

> It could just be that Henao and Kennaugh have been given free rein in the TDS knowing full well that they'd be expected to be key Domestiques for the Tour, and that Brad is saving himself for the big Time Trial later in the race where he can measure his form against Tony Martin and Spartacus looking ahead to the Worlds ITT later in the year.

Doubtless he would like to batter those two but I don't think that it would be a good indicator for the Worlds
 SiWood 17 Jun 2014

Wiggins crashed today and is now over 14 mins down. Cav got the stage win
 link 17 Jun 2014

Wiggins has had a chest infection over the weekend which would account for his form
In reply to Enty:

> Armstrong and ullrich used to ride the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse respectively before the tour. Sometimes they won sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they were minutes down then smashed it a month later.

But we all know that the reason that Armstrong, Ullrich et al. were able to made dramatic performance gains over short time periods was not entirely due to peaking or tapering.

If Wiggins was serious about his willingness to ride for Froome in the TdF he would be showing some form and/or putting in an effort to ride for the team in the TdS, not soft pedalling on the back of the peloton.

If this is his last race with Sky it's a sad way to end. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't turn up for the start in the next couple of days.
 Chris the Tall 18 Jun 2014

Wiggo withdraws from the TDS http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30824_9353187,00.html

Says he'll have 24 hours off the bike then start preparations for the 'Nationals' next week. Maybe he'll put in an appearance at our local '10' tomorrow night -- he set the course record in 2005 and it's well overdue for lowering substantially!
 FrankBooth 19 Jun 2014

After the TdF debacle, I think he was planning to withdraw regardless, without sounding too harsh, the crash was just convenient. In contrast, Cav, who also took a tumble http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/gallery/tour-de-suisse-2014-stage-five-phot...
just brushes himself down and carries on.
 Jim Hamilton 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Yes winning. But winning with style, grace and honour is even better.

> Here's a quote from Vincente del Bosque - former manager of Real Madrid...

> Before the last world cup final -

> "On the day of the final I spoke to the players. I told them to think of themselves as the romantics of football... I was appealing to the romanticism that I think a lot of us carry since childhood...the nobility of football..."

> The same should apply to Team Sky.

A del Bosque quote in the papers yesterday reminded me of your post !

"The most important thing is that we win and we have to win, however it works."

Henry Iddon 19 Jun 2014

Looks like it didn't work !
 Chris the Tall 20 Jun 2014

Sky's year of woe continues - Sergio Henao has a broken knee after a collision with a car in training

Meanwhile just listening to Gary Verity on TMS. Didn't realise he was a relative of Hedley Verity
 JLS 20 Jun 2014

Poor Sergio Henao. Hasn't been a good year for him.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2014

I thought he was racing TDS this week (or is that the other Henao?)
 JLS 20 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Training = warming up for the TDS time trial.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2014
In reply to JLS:

Ah that makes sense
 Mr Fuller 20 Jun 2014
In reply to JLS:

That's just gutting. I struggle with being injured even though I'm an abject punter. The pros must find it really hard. I was routing for him too as I like the way he rides.
 AlisonSmiles 20 Jun 2014

Totally gutted for him. He's handled himself awesomely over the past few months, he really deserved the opportunity to get stuck in.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2014
In reply to JLS:

Just seen this pic of his bike... looks like it was a big impact:

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov/status/479970667832807424/photo/1

Eddie Boss is now the latest casualty from Sky's squad -- If Brailsford wnats to send the strongest possible squad to support Froome, he may have no option but to tell Froomey that Wiggo will be in the team ( assuming Brad doesn't give him the English archers salute and say I'm off to Orica next year - stuff you!)
 Chris the Tall 24 Jun 2014

Was Eddie Higgs Bosun ever likely to be in the TDF squad ?

Assuming it's the 8 from the Dauphine (Froome, Kiryienka, López, Nieve, Pate, Porte, Thomas and Zandio), then I reckon Siutsuo will get the nod ahead of Kennaugh
andymac 24 Jun 2014

Wonder if Kiry had an extra lung fitted over the winter.

Felt sorry for him last year
Well it seems there's still plenty of life in Wiggo!!
Post edited at 22:14
andymac 26 Jun 2014

> Well it seems there's still plenty of life in Wiggo!!

Or even ;

There's life in the old dog yet.

Good work Brad.
Kipper 26 Jun 2014

> This is good

I know nothing about bicycling; but isn't a win by over a minute pretty good?
Removed User 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Kipper:

Yes, especially when you look at the competition.

Chris the Tall 26 Jun 2014

> Well it seems there's still plenty of life in Wiggo!!

At least, when he's motivated. He may have been wearing a Sky shirt, but principally he was riding for himself and that was the big difference from last week.

Be interesting to see how.he does in the road race on Sunday - will he ride in support of Thomas ?

He may be trotting out the party line - there are 9 stronger riders at Sky - with a straight face but I reckon he's taking the piss.
 GrahamD 27 Jun 2014

His problem is that there is one stronger rider, not that there are 9
 Chris the Tall 27 Jun 2014

> Assuming it's the 8 from the Dauphine (Froome, Kiryienka, López, Nieve, Pate, Porte, Thomas and Zandio), then I reckon Siutsuo will get the nod ahead of Kennaugh

Team now confirmed with Bernie Eisel getting the 9th place
 Henry Iddon 27 Jun 2014

I'm hearing Brad will be riding the Vuelta.
Removed User 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Poor show all round, but it gives him good time to prepare. Am I right in thinking that BW said he doesn't like riding in Spain as the spectators are bit mental?
In reply to Henry Iddon:

8 mountain finishes with time bonus and short TTs (1 TTT, a hilly 34k, and a 10k on the final day), it's not a great course for him. He might ride it in prep for the worlds, but I don't think he'll be anywhere near the podium, if he finishes.
 Stig 27 Jun 2014

I was very impressed by Dowsett's 10 mile record but it seems a bit hollow when Wiggins can beat him with that much ease (not to mention Thomas).

Would Wiggins not be minded to go for the 10 mile record?
In reply to Stig:

One thing to bear in mind is that the course was wet, Wiggins had nothing to lose whereas Thomas and Dowsett would have been a bit more cautious
 Stig 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Stig:

He held it back in 2006 and Dowsetts new record is inly 38 seconds quicker.

The 10 mile competition record is set on roads that are open to other traffic, and is subject to the vagaries of weather, course, and traffic flows. Picking the right course and day is the key.

I've no doubt that if Wiggo wants the record back he's more than capable of getting it. He's probably more than capable of getting the 25 record as well if he could be arsed to go for it. Just dpends on how much he wants the Kudos - as unlike most other events he rides there's little or no financial reward on getting the Comp Record.
I've got a feeling he'll be going for an attempt at the Hour record in the autumn. The fact that he's now likely to be in the track team at the CGs makes it a far more logical goal than the Vuelta. And of course, it keeps him away from the rest of Team Sky

As regarding kudos - I think he'll spend the rest of the year doing things that enhance his reputation as one of the great all-rounders, rather than doing stuff that will be good for the team/sponsors. He did the later by winning in California (lots of good media for Fox) but it didn't earn him the reward he wanted.
Post edited at 14:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...