UKC

Volunteers wanted! Awareness raising re Cheddar out of bounds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 06 Jun 2014
As discussed in this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=588877, climbers who are climbing outside of permitted dates in Cheddar and/or without insurance are seriously risking Cheddar Caves and Gorge (CCG) banning climbing.

Some of us have discussed volunteering to do awareness raising in Cheddar at peak times, even if only for a couple of hours before or after climbing. Rob Dyer of the BMC responded as follows:

"This is great and a really positive step forward. I've spoken to Martin Crocker about it and he agrees - I'll see what CC&G think but I imagine this will go down well with them. Could anyone who is serious and genuine about volunteering time for this email me on robd@thebmc.co.uk and I'll start putting together a list of potential volunteers to take to CC&G. This would only work well with a large enough pool of people so let me know if you really do have time to spare. The BMC could undoubtedly provide volunteer support for this."

So please contact Rob. I imagine one aspect of this will be transport getting there and back, so volunteering lifts will help too. I have a car and will be happy to take people.
 d_b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

For what it's worth, the Avon Mountaineering Committee have sent a mail to members reminding them to respect the restrictions. I imagine many other local clubs have done the same.
OP ericinbristol 06 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

That's great news!

Maybe TCA etc could put something in their email newsletter, website etc?
 Kevster 06 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

The discussion has certainly made it through our club media too. Alas we are too far away to play a bigger role besides ensuring we obey the rules and question those who may not. But it is something we will do when at Cheddar.
I applaud those who do and can stand up and be counted on behalf of the remainder of us in the climbing community.

Thank you.
 d_b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

That should read Avon Mountaineering Club committee. My typing is so bad I'm missing whole words now!

> For what it's worth, the Avon Mountaineering Committee have sent a mail to members reminding them to respect the restrictions. I imagine many other local clubs have done the same.

Henley Bailey 17 Jun 2014
Can little metal tags be clipped on to the first quickdraws with something like, "Route closed until" and then the date; So if anyone is about to do a route they'll see that when they go to clip in?
Henley Bailey 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Henley Bailey:

I meant clip a tag to the first bolt (new to outdoor climbing).
 GridNorth 17 Jun 2014

Nice idea but a) not all routes are bolted b)some of the first bolts are quite high, by the time you get to them you could consider it too late.
 Tom_Ball 17 Jun 2014

I agree, sounds like a good idea.
I don't think it is needed on all routes though, just enough to raise awareness.
A few signs in key places would go a long way.

Cheers
Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...