UKC

Highlands conditions at the moment...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 06 Jun 2014
Sort of following on from my previous topic, in the next couple of days we're going to have to decide where in the highlands to head for to make the most of the conditions, weather, midges, etc.

Are there enough remaining snow patches to affect rock routes in the Cairngorms - Coire an Lochain, Etchachan, Sputan Dearg etc?

And how bad are the midges in Torridon, Ullapool, Lochaber, the Cairngorms etc at the moment?

Thanks!

Dave

Fiend 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Midges are out in Wester Ross in full effect in the sheltered areas, but still fine in any reasonable breeze of course. Forecast for that area isn't great but the wind looks promising for any S-facing crag.

> And how bad are the midges in.....Torridon

ha!

About normal for this time of year. Deadly!

I was eaten alive in shieldaig a couple of weeks ago.
 Lesdavmor 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave: There are lots of snow patches in the N Corries as well as Ben Nevis. Midges were bad at Polldubh Tue 3 June

OP Ramblin dave 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

Blimey!

*crosses Savage Slit off the to-do list*

Presumably we're in with a chance on lower and/or less North-facing stuff, though - Creagan a' Choire Etchachan, Coire Sputan Dearg, Hell's Lum etc. (He says, optimistically, not really knowing much about conditions in the Cairngorms.) Assuming it doesn't just rain, that is...
 Ron Walker 06 Jun 2014
Not been there but Hells Lum and the likes of Clean Sweep normally has snow on the lower slabs and will be wet from any snow melt above at this time of year. Creagan Coire Etchachan usually has a large drift at the foot of Talisman but could be clear? Apparently the Shelterstone cliffs were dry last weekend with folk climbing the classic Extremes. You can still climb but might be worth taking an ice axe and stiff boots for the approaches or abbing in, details on my Facebook timeline, see https://www.facebook.com/TalismanMountainGuides...
Post edited at 20:24
 Michael Gordon 08 Jun 2014

Still a fair bit of snow below Hell's Lum last time I looked (a few weeks ago)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...