UKC

Aconcagua not pre booked

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulC 08 Jun 2014
Hi,

Just wondering if it is possible to turn up in Mendoza and join an ascent of Aconcagua.... also including hiring big boots and bulky down jacket type gear..?
Has anyone done this? Who with? How much? etc

Cheers
Paul
 lost1977 08 Jun 2014
In reply to PaulC:
When I was there around 2002 turning up in Mendoza and getting your permit like that was the norm (kit can be hired).

Day 1: arrive in Mendoza arrange permit and shop for food and fuel
Day 2: get bus to mountain and start trek to base camp

But I am guessing you want a fully organised expedition
Post edited at 11:52
OP PaulC 08 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

Hi, and thanks that is good to know. I think the rules are changing about having a guide. I do not want a fully organised trip if I can avoid it, but I am not sure it can be done. I know it was a long time ago but can you give me an approximation of cost? Thanks
 Brass Nipples 08 Jun 2014
In reply to PaulC:

$50 in 2001

David55 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Looking at current websites, for the 2013-2014 season permits were quoted as $350-$500 depending on when you go, and some sites say it is more if you are going independently. It is expected the permits will be 10% higher in the 2014-2015 season. I went in January 2008, and having the support of a local company was good, I would not have known how to get mules to carry my kit up, and where to get water on the hill which is scarce. The rules are that everything you take on to the hill must be brought back down, so take lots of bags to bring your poo down in. There are compulsory medical checks on the hill, and also rangers may check your equipment, and if they think you are ill equipped will send you down.
 Damo 09 Jun 2014
In reply to PaulC:
Google search for Inka, Fernando Grajales and Aventuras Patagonicas. They are three of the main in-country providers, the first two are local and many western or other operators use their logistics and facilities on the hill.

There are mixed reports on Inka, but there are mixed reports on most expedition operators in most places. I've done Aconcagua twice by the normal route, just using local companies (Grajales) for mules into Plaza de Mulas and overnight at Confluencia. Above PdM I've been independent, but from what I've seen of other 'guides' on the mountain it's not great. I'm sure some are good, but many aren't. You don't always get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor.

The normal route on Aco is very easy technically, but it gets quite cold and windy and it just a tad too high to be stuck at the whim of a glorified porter who'd rather be back at BC with his mates.

Have a look over at Summitpost.com for more info and reports from Aconcagua, including on operators. e.g.. http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/aconcagua-gear-help-t67726.html
Post edited at 03:30
 hokkyokusei 09 Jun 2014
In reply to PaulC:

There was a guy called Peter who posted on here last year who was planning a solo trip. He might have recent info. Thread here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=563956

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...