UKC

Food to cook on fire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
Recently got a wood burning portable stove

http://wildstoves.co.uk/wood-cooking-stoves/wood-gas-camping-stoves/wild-wo...

Given it one use in the field: found (veg) sausages took a fair bit of time to cook but halloumi did real quick and was ready to eat after a minute or two.

Any other suggestions for (veg) foods that would have short cooking times? No fancy food prep either!
 d_b 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
Bannochs maybe? Mix dry ingredients up in a plastic bag, add water and squish together to mix and you are away.

Post edited at 13:44
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Cheers but have never heard of a bannoch. What is it? You got a recipe?
 Siward 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

2 part self raising flour to 1 part milk powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 6tsp egg powder, some raisins and 8 tsp brown sugar all mixed with water and cooked slowly in a pan.

Or variations on that sort of theme.

A commercial one I bought had about 50% raisins in it.
 d_b 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Basically simple soda bread. Loads of recipes out there, but backpacking versions tend to boil down to varying quantities of flour, milk powder, baking powder, oil (optional) and water.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/04/04/baking-in-the-wild-how-to-make-ban...

You can also do without pans if you have a fire and some sticks. See: youtube.com/watch?v=tRKDkWyIgA0&

In reply to Flinticus:

i make inside out pizza on fires with the scouts, split a pitta bread fill it with tomato puree or pizza sauce, grated cheese and anything else you like wrap it in foil and bung in embers.
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon & Siward:
Cheers. I love soda bread so cooking some on a fire sounds like it may provide me with divine manna.
Post edited at 14:16
 nw 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Hannah S:

Thanks Hannah, shall be trying this at the weekend
 malk 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

popcorn would be a good test..
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

No cooking tips I'm afraid but v interested in your stove. Looks great fun. What are you burning on it? Have you tried wood pellets? I'm wondering what weight of wood pellets you'd need for a 2 night exped boiling only water for example.
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Snoweider:

Surely the whole point in these is that you gather wood as you walk or from around your camping spot? I gues take a small bag of woodchips to get it going in case you can't find anything dry?

Bannock Bread is great cooking on hot stones around the edge of an open fire as well (don't put the stones actually in the fire as they'll explode and kill you (or ruin your bread)
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Snoweider:
Not tried wood pellets. I had a stash of dried pine cones at home, pistachio shells (middle class TV snack fodder) and some wood chippings (the kind gardens use) and then picked up some more smaller cones and twigs on route through a wood. I did cheat by using a bit of fire lighter to start!

The wood I picked up was a bit damp and tended to smoke at first before combusting properly.

My site was quite exposed so I'd have gotten a better performance from a more sheltered spot. But the food was lovely, with that smokey flavour. I ate the halloumi as each slice got done straight from the pan. The dog, who was staring at me throughout, got one slice (and my second last sausage)

I've been looking into wood pellets.
Post edited at 15:57
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I was wondering about it as an alternative to a trad stove for kayak trips in Scotland- so wet wood a probability. Think I'd like to have a stash of dry stuff in case of emergencies! Wood pellets occurred to me as they are light weight and efficient.
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Snoweider:

Think it'd be great on a kayak trip. Its a lot more fun tending it than a gas stove/ I'll still use my gas stove for high wild camping though where fuel availabilty would be an issue.
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Ace! Want one! Also wondering about overseas trips eg parts of Africa where buying and carrying fuel can be a pain.
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Snoweider:

http://www.trails.com/how_9234_fire-starters-pine-cones.html

Making pine cone fire starters

Makers claim they will also burn dried (herbivore: sheep, deer, rabbit) animal dung. Not sure if that would cause your food to smell but animal dung is a common fuel around the world.
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Excellent thanks!
In reply to Snoweider:

> Have you tried wood pellets?

Also consider compressed sawdust cat litter pellets.
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Unused presumably!
In reply to Flinticus:

> found (veg) sausages took a fair bit of time to cook

Sausages have a small contact area with the pan, so take a long time to cook, even on a conventional stove.

Solution: cut them in half along the sausage, thus massively increasing the surface area of sausage in contact with the pan, and thus heat transfer. You still have limited contact area when you flip them over, but at least the sausage cooks through quickly.

d_b 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Snoweider:

> Unused presumably!

And miss out on the delicious taste of recycled Rabbit in Jelly?

Yum Yum!
 The Potato 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

couscous cooks really quickly and you can easily make a meal of it with a jar of sauce / powdered spice mix, and a tin of mixed beans or mixed veg etc/
 maxticate 12 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Square sausages need inventing now!
 girlymonkey 12 Jun 2014
In reply to maxticate:

We have had them in Scotland for years! They ate one of the best Scottish foods. Don't think they do veggie ones though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...