UKC

Old scarpa Vegas - what have you done with them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 14 Jun 2014
They are not that old, served me well, 2 years ago, but I won't use them again as have upgraded

No real resale value...I have tried

Recycling? Keep somewhere in hope?

What have you done?
 DaveHK 14 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981

Flower pots?
 markk 14 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:
My first pair of plastic boots used to belong to Al Rouse. They've been beyond usable for many years and I finally lobbed them in the bin today. They weighed a ton compared to what we have now and I can still remember walking up to the halfway lochain on the Ben in a pair of trainers, before switching to get my ankles battered in them!
 BenTiffin 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:
Still use the blue/black/maroony ones, albeit as often as South Wales winter climbing and maybe two trips max per year further afield.

Offer them for free or at least v cheap unless they are in poor condition.
 Alan Breck 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

I had an old pair. Very little wear & in really good nick. Couldn't even give them away. Eventually put them in the local re-cycling bin.
 AndyC 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

I gave mine away to a guy doing a 'once in a lifetime' trekking peak in Nepal. Must be more like him out there. Trekking companies like KE Adventure also rent out plastic boots, they might be interested to take them if they are OK. (And I seem to remember they looked OK in 2012 )
 Jim Walton 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

They are useful on the first day of a winter ML assessment where you are standing around a bit and then have to kick steps etc. With 1kg+ on each foot, you can kick steps in boiler plate ice! Apart from that they now fall into the same category as Tweed breeches.

Dr Avinash Aujayeb 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

They are still in perfect condition!!!

I have tried giving them away but no one wants them

I might contact Scapa and see if they can take them for recycling.....?
In reply to avinash1981:

What size are they?
 Timmd 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

Freecycle or some kind of gear hiring company?

In Nepal when my Dad and his friend went there was a load of old gear for people to borrow/hire where they were.

Take them to Nepal to donate them, the good deep justifies the trip. ()
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 15 Jun 2014
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Thanks to all suggestions- have emailed a lot of companies and put a post on mountain project as well
In reply to avinash1981:

Not a massively uncommon size then. How about donating to a chariiy shop. They may be able to get a few quid.
 Mr Trebus 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

I am sure a Uni climbing club would gladly take them.
 top cat 15 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

Fit ski touring boot liners and use them as approach ski/climb boot with a 130cm Hagan Off limit ski / 555 binding. Perfect combination.

Well, that's what I use mine for, and serious ice routes, and when it's very cold.....
 lost1977 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

Tweed breeches are great with any luck mine should fit again having lost loads of weight
 TobyA 16 Jun 2014
In reply to avinash1981:

I sold mine just last Xmas time. The chap paid 30 quid for them although I covered postage out of that so maybe made 20 quid on them. He was really happy with them as they fitted him well and he only needed them for a couple of days near the summit on an upcoming trip to Peak Lenin, so obviously way cheaper than other options. So anyway, you might find someone in a similar position.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...