UKC

NEWS: Kilian Jornet Smashes Speed Record on Denali

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Jun 2014
Kilian Jornet, 4 kbThe 26-year-old Spanish runner and climber Kilian Jornet has shattered the roundtrip speed record on Alaska's Mount McKinley (Denali), climbing and descending North America's highest peak in 11 hours and 40 minutes.

Jornet shaved five hours and six minutes off the previous record...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68981

In reply to UKC News:

Whaaaaaat!
 Tom Briggs 16 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Incredible. I do wonder though, once you start to get into these high altitude speed ascents on less technical terrain, how one of the top Sherpas would fair?
Removed User 16 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

The last paragraph doesn't seem to read quite right: 'Prior to Warren's effort, Chad Kellogg —setting the speed record on Mont Blanc, climbing up and down the peak in a mere four hours and 57 minutes,'

But bravo Kilian. Eiger next, maybe?
 Jack Geldard 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Thanks, fixed that now.

Jack
In reply to UKC News:

Hmm. I do hope KJ knows what he's doing. My crsytal ball isn't all that optimistic about how this particular fashion is going to end.

jcm
 elliptic 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> Eiger next, maybe?

Too technical. The interesting thing about Ueli and Kilian is the way they're exploring the same arena of performance in the mountains but from opposite ends: Ueli is a top class technical alpinist who's learned how to train aerobic endurance properly, while Kilian is a one-of-a-kind endurance athlete with enough mountain skills to get by. But they don't meet in the middle (yet).
 thommi 17 Jun 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

yeah, because people haven't been trying to go quickly up mountains at all until recent 'fashion'. I for one think killian is a fantastic athlete and have no doubt he know exactly what he is doing. Is your 'crsytal' ball optimistic about anything out of interest? sheesh!
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2014
In reply to thommi:

Of course KJ knows what he's doing. As did Stephane Brosse.
http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/world-champion-ski-mountaineer-dies-in-...
 thommi 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

yes, he really did. Stephane was a fantastic mountaineer and an inspiration. I fail to see your point, other than the fact that he sadly died. I didn't say its not a risky thing to do.
In reply to thommi:

>yeah, because people haven't been trying to go quickly up mountains at all until recent 'fashion'.

They've been travelling quickly for safety, of course. I don't recall a lot of shouting about record times for soloing this or that mountain until recently.

>I for one think killian is a fantastic athlete

So does everyone.

>and have no doubt he know exactly what he is doing

Well, that's sweet. And let's hope you're right. No doubt getting rescued with some inexperienced girl from wherever it was is just the sort of misfortune that could happen to any of us.

jcm
 veteye 19 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

How was he reducing the risk of crevasse fall?
Surely use of skis alone is not enough to be relied on in every case?
 drunken monkey 19 Jun 2014

Frendo Spur I think.
 Arms Cliff 19 Jun 2014

> >yeah, because people haven't been trying to go quickly up mountains at all until recent 'fashion'.

> They've been travelling quickly for safety, of course. I don't recall a lot of shouting about record times for soloing this or that mountain until recently.

Look at any alpinism report and the total time of the trip is generally talked about, KJ has just brought these times down to hours rather than days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...