UKC

Alpine Huts.... Can i take my own food ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ndawson 16 Jun 2014
Hi all,

Heading to Chamonix in a few weeks and will be staying in the Albert, ArgentiƩre and the Couvercle huts.

To keep costs down can you take your own food for them to cook there, or buy hot water for Mountain-House type meals.

Any advice would be helpful

Cheers
 edunn 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Ndawson:

They will not cook it for you, but you can buy hot water at all the huts and there is usually a separate area for people to cook their own food.

Enjoy
 simonzxr 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Ndawson:

Most French huts allow you to cook your own food and have a room known as a 'Salle hors sac'. The guardians don't like it much as they make their money from food but you are entitled to do it. I've done so in the Argentiere with a with my own stove with no problems.
OP Ndawson 16 Jun 2014
In reply to simonzxr:

Can you buy screw thread gas canisters from chamonix? i know threaded aren't usually available in France but iv read on some forums that you can get them.

Or is it better to just get a converter ?
 LucaC 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Ndawson:

It's no problem at all getting screw thread primus canisters in Cham, I'm not sure where this UKC myth has appeared from...
 Bob 16 Jun 2014
In reply to LJC:

Back in the early 1980s threaded gas cartridges were quite hard to get hold of in Chamonix - it was either Camping Gaz or nothing. I think you could get plain butane ones from hardware stores as they are used for blow-torches. By 1985 it was relatively easy (if expensive) to get EpiGas (as it was then) butane/propane cartridges.
 simonzxr 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Ndawson:

Absolutely, you can get them at most of the sports shops in Cham (snell etc.) The tiny ones are suitable for a 1-2 night bivi I found.
OP Ndawson 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Ndawson:

thanks for the info guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...