UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Kouba Top Nuts Set

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Jun 2014
Kouba Top nuts set, 2 kb

Kouba Top Nuts are available in a set of 7 different sizes. Bigger five nuts in this set are made out of hard aluminium, and two smallest are made out of brass. This set is very versatile with the full set weight only 200g and range from 6mm to 29mm. And all this for only £41.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6395
 FreshSlate 17 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why are the brass nuts threaded?
 Blue Straggler 17 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
Does this mean that Kouba gear is now UIAA approved/rated? I would assume so, if they now have a .co.uk website and direct UK pricing. I have a set of the tri-cams on wire, CE rated but not UIAA rated (but Straggler-tested - they haven't snapped yet!)

edit - just checked their site

"All our products are certified in UIAA approved laboratories and test centers in Czech Republic (EU).
Our cams are holding CE 1019, CE 1015 and EN12276-1998 certificate.
All our passive protection (nuts) and rigging plate PK3 are holding CE 1015 certifications, all certificates are shown bellow:"

http://www.koubaclimbing.co.uk/pages/safety
Post edited at 13:25
 Reach>Talent 17 Jun 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Do you mean the wire is threaded through rather than soldered in place? I assume they felt the cost of introducing a different manufacturing and QC process outweighed any strength benefits?
 Lubo 17 Jun 2014
All Kouba products are holding CE/EN certifications and they have been tested in UIAA approved labs. But they dont currently hold UIAA certifications.
 FreshSlate 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Do you mean the wire is threaded through rather than soldered in place? I assume they felt the cost of introducing a different manufacturing and QC process outweighed any strength benefits?

Clearly. But cheaper still if they just use aluminium right? Never seen threaded through brass nuts before.
 FreshSlate 17 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
The weights are oddly rounded numbers? No one has a decent set of scales? "Increments of 10 grams only"
Post edited at 14:38
 jimtitt 17 Jun 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Rock Empire sell them but they are probabyly from Kouba anyway. I´ve an ancient one somewhere on my rack, might be an early HB, Clog used to do threaded-through brass micro hexes as well BITD.
 Tom F Harding 18 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

All there nuts look strangely familiar - wonder why that is...

Alu = wild country super rocks (No longer produced)
Horn = wild country rocks
Rox = DMM wallnuts
Vector = DMM Offsets
Hex = CAMP Wired Carvex
etc...
 fire_munki 18 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

They look good value.... I wonder can I justify the wired tri cams and the brass micros?

CurlyStevo 18 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:
I'm not that impressed the ones picture that look like wallnuts have square cut corners and no/little curve to the nut. Basically they look to be a cheap inferior knock off.
Post edited at 12:22
 Lubo 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom F Harding:

This is because we produced them for Wild Country
 Tom F Harding 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Lubo:

Really? That is pretty interesting, how did the partnership come about and why did both of you stop production in the end? I still have a few Super Rocks and quite like them as a second set. Also why didn't you go for coloured anodizing? Seem a logical 'improvement'.

Thanks
 FreshSlate 18 Jun 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

Cheers. Before my time that lot. Always thought soldering was the done thing, and they made them out of brass so they could solder the wire...
 fire_munki 18 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I guess before buying I'd wait for a review of them, but they could well be not inferior, just different. Will have to wait for a better climber than be to find out!
 Lubo 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom F Harding:
Few years ago we produced some nuts for Wild Country, however they moved some of their production to Asia, but products they produced in Asia are on re-call now.
We still producing gear for Rock Empire, as stated before in this topic, that's why it looks same
We introducing our products to UK market under brand Kouba now for the first time, but we have been producing these products for past 15 years for few different brands, this is basically reason that they look similar, or even same, or they look familiar to you.

Regarding question about anodizing, we are working on improvements, and it is still in process.
Post edited at 14:12
 gd303uk 18 Jun 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I think the smaller bras nuts are soldered as it allowed; smaller nuts , thicker wire and/also the bend wasn't the weakness .
Removed User 18 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

Why can't I see wired tricams? All I see are nut sets on the site.
Removed User 18 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Turns out I'm just blind, cheers for that!
 Lubo 18 Jun 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Weights are rounded +/-1gram
 fire_munki 18 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is there going be to be a review by UKC?
Hopefully for the tricams, much cheaper than 4 camp ones.
For the kouba chap I assume they work in passive and active like camp ones?
 Jack Geldard 19 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:
Hi Fire Munki,

Yes there is going to be a review from UKC.

Some of these nuts will feature in a large comparison review with the likes of DMM, Wild Country, Black Diamond, CAMP, Metolius etc.

This is due to be released later in the summer.

Thanks,

Jack
Post edited at 07:43
 Blue Straggler 19 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

> For the kouba chap I assume they work in passive and active like camp ones?

Kouba used to do some that worked only actively and some that could work actively and passively. There was a marginal price difference. I imagine they now only make and sell the latter.

Funnily enough Jack Geldard has seen me take a bit of a whipper onto a Kouba tri-cam (backed up with a top rope and some other gear, as a "test" )

[Jack it was during the trad coaching thing you did a couple of years ago in N. Wales with Hazel and Caff; I'd just got my tri-cams and was brandishing them with alacrity]
 Lubo 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

That is correct, we used to make another set called Abalak Combi, but we stopped production few months ago. Still possible to buy last pieces in some European retailers.

And so, how did your test of abalak went then?
 fire_munki 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Lubo:

So the current set are both active and passive?
 Blue Straggler 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Lubo:

It held very well

I place them a lot but have never "properly" fallen onto them apart from that test. They are handy at belays so that the cams can be saved for the routes
 Jack Geldard 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, I remember that fall well!

I hope all is well with you, and you're having a good climbing year.

Cheers,

Jack
 Lubo 19 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

They are made for camming, or with a active principle of 'biting' to the rock when force is applied.
 fire_munki 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Lubo:

So is that the only way? If so the slightly more expensive Camp ones seem a better option. Even if you only get 4 for you money as opposed to your 6.
 FreshSlate 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Lubo:
Even so, doesn't sound right to me. First 4 nuts within a gram of the same weight then the latter 3 at 10 gram intervals.
Post edited at 13:40
 PPP 15 Jul 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Hi, I've got a set of Top Nuts delivered today. I doubt the kitchen scales are very decent, but that's something. Interestingly, the whole set weighs 201g, 1g more than stated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/urnj687n2ddbg1n/AACbJei8Gygm46Da5XoxaqrXa
 FreshSlate 15 Jul 2014
In reply to PPP:
As I thought, thanks a lot for that! I had little doubt that the total weight would be roughly right but totally wrong on their individual weights.

> Weights are rounded +/-1gram

Obviously not. It took a guy on the internet less than 5 minutes to weigh them, I wonder how long it took to make up the numbers to add up to the total? Bizarre, means nothing about the nuts, just really odd. Or perhaps you missed a zero in that post, +/-10 grams, in which case, get some better scales.
Post edited at 14:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...