UKC

Recommended bouldering near Derby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom_Ball 17 Jun 2014
Hi I am going to be in Derby for a couple of evenings due to work and would like to squeeze in a spot of bouldering.
Can anyone recommend a suitable evening venue?

Cheers
Tom
 Jon Stewart 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom_Ball:

If you want real quality then head up to Cratcliff and Robin Hoods Stride. Not the nearest (45mins) but the best of the Peak. Will be midgy and sweaty on the grit if there's no breeze - bear that in mind.
 Offwidth 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom_Ball:

The nearest good venues are Black Rocks or Harborough Rocks but if you go to Black Rocks also check out the circumnavigation of the Alport Stone which is a quick detour and a must at V2/F6a. If the weather is mixed try Matlock Bank
 Jon Stewart 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Is there any decent bouldering at BR? I thought the Railway Slab area was pretty much unusably awful.
OP Tom_Ball 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom_Ball:

Thank you for your recommendations

Tom
 Offwidth 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Railway slab area. Some unlisted stuff opposite on the base of Quarry Buttress. Highballs on The Block and West Wall. Upper Rocks. Black Garden. Angel Boulder. Don't tell me you dont have a copy of Froggatt??

Chasecliffe gives a couple of hours fun as well. There are a few bits at Shining Cliff and for the real brave explorers, closest of all to Derby is Horsly Castle Quarries.

Further out from Derby you have Rowtor Rocks, all the stuff at Stanton Moor, Amber valley stuff, Pleasley etc (as well as the Cratcliffe area which also includes Clifftop and a few minor venues)

These southern areas also tend to be much less midgy than the main peak venues on windless cloudy summer days.
Post edited at 14:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...