UKC

Older guy looking to recapture a previous foothold!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alone_withmyaxe 21 Jun 2014
Want to get back in to climbing after a loooooooooong break!

Was only ever an avid amateur and did mainly indoor stuff. Did love it a lot when i did it.

Over the past years my fitness level had dropped to stagnant, but is now back to a reasonable if not good level and want to expand on that and improve, strength, power and flexibility. From what I remember of climbing it is a perfect fit and much more fun then gyms etc.

Any tips practical advice or pitfalls to look out for as I go back to it?
 The Potato 21 Jun 2014
In reply to alone_withmyaxe:

dont overdo it - you may remember being able to do stuff but you wont be anywhere near that now. get to some local walls and toprope a bit to help with regaining strength and flexibility etc
practice footwork and dont overly rely on arm and finger strength as thats more likely to lead to injury
alone_withmyaxe 21 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Cool, thanks for that, good points well made. Am looking to boulder for a while to get my eye back in, hoping to go out Monday for a play!

….Now if I can just find those old climbing shoes!
 KlaasW 22 Jun 2014

I restarted after a 25 year break. No problem. Be careful, you can regain strength quickly but your tendons need time. I had sore tendons in my hand a lot for the first year. Just don't overdo it.
 markAut 22 Jun 2014

As above, start slowly and listen to your body. We don't heal as quick as we once did and an injury can really slow progress. -I have the damaged shoulders to prove it.

I may have to retire from climbing again, my kids are starting to climb at the same grade I do, and that can only go one way.
alone_withmyaxe 22 Jun 2014
In reply to all:

Thanks guys, a good grounding to my excitement!

I will go slow and see where it takes me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...