UKC

15 miles run from Burley in Wharfedale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 01 Jul 2014
I'm going to be in Burley this weekend. Apart from watching the TdF, I need to do a long run - 15 miles or so. Presumably it's easy enough to go up onto the Dales Way at Menston and then just run along on the Moor to Addingham Moorside?

Any other suggestions welcome, but I'm presuming that going anywhere by car north of the A65 is a bit of a no-no.
 lummox 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

Up to Burley Woodhead, turn Southish and go past Weecher reservoir, over Baildon Moor, then back round past Harvey Smith's gaff and over Bingley Moor on to Rombalds Moor, along to White Crag at the Addingham Moorside end, drop down to Panorama reservoir, back around the edge of the moor ? Probably nearer to 11-12 miles ?
OP tony 01 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

Thanks. I need a better map - my 1:50k doesn't name your reservoirs - but a loop might be nicer than an out-and-back.
 lummox 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

The trails are all nice and dry at the minute-enjoy !
Lusk 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

I use this to plan my walks...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/?sid=4d579207f3c411de72c312374021e64d

You need to sign up to use the 25,000 maps.
 Liam M 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

Have a look for Rombalds Romp race route. If you exclude the Chevin bit that should be about the right distance.
OP tony 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Lusk:

Thanks for that. However, I just remembered you can get 1:25k mapping on Bing, which is nice.
 Rich 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

I do a road route that is almost exactly 15 miles. Otley then back road to Ilkley and back alongside A65. Wouldn't recommend it on Saturday ...!
OP tony 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich:

Thanks but even apart from Saturday's events, if I've got a choice between roads and trails and paths on Ilkley Moor, I'll take the Moor every time.
OP tony 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Liam M:

> Have a look for Rombalds Romp race route. If you exclude the Chevin bit that should be about the right distance.

I'm confused. According to to this:
http://www.abbeyrunners.co.uk/our-races/rombalds-romp/
it doesn't go near the Chevin. It looks like a decent option, and is better than an out-and-back.
 lummox 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

I wonder if he means Rombald's Stride ?
OP tony 01 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

That would make more sense. I've found an entry form for the Stride with check point grid references, so I'll see what I can put together.
 Liam M 01 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

Sorry, as Lummox pointed out I meant Rombalds Stride - I always get the two mixed up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...