UKC

The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 Jul 2014
JG on Commander Energy (E2 5c), Roaches Lower Tier, 4 kbDuncan Campbell picks his top E2 climbs. From the crumbly Mousetrap to the epic Prophecy of Drowning...

But wait... why hasn't he included Left Wall?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6382

jon 02 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

> But wait... why hasn't he included Left Wall?

Never mind that. This is far more worrying:

> The Weaver - Forget Vector, which although classic is nowhere near as good as it's more direct neighbour.
 Bob 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:
I know, the punctuation. Why don't writers consider the number of kittens that will die?
Post edited at 14:43
M0nkey 02 Jul 2014

Must have been written by someone who has never climbed at Fairhead, arguably the home of ALL the best E2s in the UK.

What about Shrike, Jelly Roll or Troach Dunc?
 Bob 02 Jul 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

What about the E2s on the Eastern Ramparts on Beinn Eighe? Angel Face and the like?

Just remembered - where's Shibboleth? EEEEEK!!!!
 danm 02 Jul 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

Hurricane, Mizen Star, Equinox, blah blah blah.

I'd also have to go for:

The Strand, Central Pillar on Esk, Astra on Pavey.

Plus, Fiver Finger Exercise and Fernhill if you must have some gritstone.

Good fun this!
 Diggler 02 Jul 2014

Darius ??
 Bulls Crack 02 Jul 2014

4 of them are good choices but Commander Energy? Darius if you want a Peak one
 Dave Foster 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Regent St for me in the Peak.
 Mick Ward 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:

At least The Weaver's an awful lot better than Machete Wall.

Mick
 Robert Durran 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:
> What about the E2s on the Eastern Ramparts on Beinn Eighe? Angel Face and the like?

> Just remembered - where's Shibboleth? EEEEEK!!!!

You could make a case for four of the best five best E2's in the UK all being on Scottish mountain crags (Shibboleth, Torro, Steeple, Angel Face). The fact that all are omitted means the list is pretty laughable. Though if the idea was to include one token Scottish route, then Prophecy is a good choice. And putting Chimes of Freedom (albeit a fine route) alongside Prophecy is a mockery.

I might have included White Slab despite it being in Wales (it's that good!).
Post edited at 17:48
 remus Global Crag Moderator 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Not to mention the fact that machete wall is E1.
 Ron Kenyon 02 Jul 2014

Impossible task to name the best FIVE - so many fantastic E2's - best HUNDRED would be a better and a more useful list.
 tom84 02 Jul 2014

commander energy? you've got to be joking me. is it even in the top 10 e2s at the roaches?
 Bob 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hmm, I did Saxon in July 1983 and Steeple in August 1983 either side of a trip to Chamonix and I thought Saxon much the better route.

In general I'd agree with you, Scotland has masses of excellent routes at all grades, little in the Peak comes close to matching them.

That's actually a pretty good list, assuming you don't count Fair Head, of course.

Although RD's Shibboleth, Torro, Steeple, Angel Face and Prophecy does have a certain ring of truth to it, if you should happen to find all of them roughly dry.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Although RD's Shibboleth, Torro, Steeple, Angel Face and Prophecy does have a certain ring of truth to it, if you should happen to find all of them roughly dry.

I imagine they were all dry yesterday.
In reply to Bob:

> Hmm, I did Saxon in July 1983 and Steeple in August 1983 either side of a trip to Chamonix and I thought Saxon much the better route.

In which case it must be phenomenally brilliant. I admit, to my shame, that I've never climbed on Scafell .
 Heike 02 Jul 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
I have found all of them dry when I did them and vastly better than a single Gritstone pitch, but hey that's just me!!
Post edited at 19:45
 Michael Gordon 02 Jul 2014

Torro loses points for being a soft touch. Definitely a great E1 though!
 jon 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Heike:

> vastly better than a single Gritstone pitch, but hey that's just me!!

No it's not just you!

Si dH 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:

Weaver is miles better than Vector.

However I also think Darius is better than Delicatessen in the best of the rest bit.

Commander Energy is a good route, and it's got a picture of me in wonderful orange all over the front page of ukc. But really?

> I might have included White Slab despite it being in Wales (it's that good!).

Eh? It is the worst of the good E2s on Cloggy.

Jelly Roll and especially Shrike blow the socks off it! Troach and Silhouette are both superior too.
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Jelly Roll and especially Shrike blow the socks off it! Troach and Silhouette are both superior too.

I thought it was magnificent, holding its own with the big mountain crag routes in Scotland. Not done Jelly Roll, but the others you mention really just seemed like quality short routes in a mountain setting and nothing like as memorable.

jim jones 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Jelly Roll and especially Shrike blow the socks off it! Troach and Silhouette are both superior too.

And all superior by miles to Commander Energy. Commander Energy is a good route but amongst the best five E2's in the UK? C'mon!
 Bob 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jim jones:

The title of the article should be:

"The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK that I have done and which will generate postings on UKC"
 simes303 03 Jul 2014
In reply to tom84:

> commander energy? you've got to be joking me. is it even in the top 10 e2s at the roaches?

That's exactly what I thought too.
 ChrisBrooke 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

> The title of the article should be:

> "The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK that I have done and which will generate postings on UKC"

Which kind of *is* the point of these articles. Gets us all talking.
 Owen W-G 03 Jul 2014
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

For the definite list, UK top 200 here
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=764
 ChrisBrooke 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Only done a handful of those, but Left Wall, Quietus, Erb and Suspense would be in my top 10. I'm a bit Peak-centric though.
 mattrm 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

> The title of the article should be:

> "The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK that I have done and which will generate postings on UKC"

Exactly. What gave it away? The previous two articles (HVS and E1) which were equally as provocative maybe? I'm awaiting the best 5 VSes and best 5 E3s articles any day now.
 cem 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

My sentiments entirely. I thought Commander Energy was a good route but my immediate reaction was that it was very insignificant when compared with Darius.
 ashtond6 03 Jul 2014

oh god what a list...

commander energy, must be a joke

scoop wall
elder crack
vector
wuthering

..are all better than half that list
 Nick Russell 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> Exactly. What gave it away?

The opening paragraphs also give some clues:

> below is a selection that I think deserve your attention – they might not be the best, but [...] these routes present a journey for me, and hold personal touches. [...] This list might be rather more special to me, but they’re still classics for anyone to try.
 tom84 03 Jul 2014
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Only done a handful of those, but Left Wall, Quietus, Erb and Suspense would be in my top 10. I'm a bit Peak-centric though.

There's tons of good grit routes, and suspense is probably *my* fave e2 on grit because it's got a bit of everything. These lists will always favour grit routes because of the mass of climbers and routes of a reasonable quality in a small area. I recently had the fortune to climb (albeit only a few) routes on torridon sandstone and thought it was similar to grit, but better, longer and more interesting climbing! If you like grit then head north and check the area out.
 ChrisBrooke 03 Jul 2014
In reply to tom84:

Sounds good. Trouble with getting to Torridon from Bury St Edmunds is that I could be in the Alps a fair bit quicker
 Jon Stewart 04 Jul 2014

Hmmmm. Obviously, Commander Energy is the stand-out weird choice, as it's barely 2*. For grit, I'd have either Elegy or Five Finger Exercise.

Why does everyone go on about Darius? It's a long pitch and really hard, but I can't think of anything much to say about it other than it's on horrible loose polished rock by a busy A road.

I think Silver Shadow is way better than Chimes, which is really easy except for a couple of awkward moves through the roof.

And Mousetrap. I don't think that novelty choss routes have a place in a UK's best list. If one of the categories that had to be covered was choss, I'd have Mercury Direct instead.
 Nick Russell 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> For grit, I'd have either Elegy or Five Finger Exercise.
Elegy would be an excellent choice!

> If one of the categories that had to be covered was choss, I'd have Mercury Direct instead.
I'm surprised by this. I remember a worrying loose block at the top of the offwidth section, and the roof right at the top being a bit unstable, but very sound apart from that! I definitely wouldn't put it in the choss category.
 Jon Stewart 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

> I'm surprised by this. I remember a worrying loose block at the top of the offwidth section, and the roof right at the top being a bit unstable, but very sound apart from that! I definitely wouldn't put it in the choss category.

I wasn't expecting a choss route at all, but the rock on the 2nd pitch is identical to South Stack cheese. On the section climbing the corner, the slab is all snappy, sandy crap - though thankfully the corner itself where the gear is is fine (although permadamp of course). A foothold broke on me on that first section, at which point the thought of traversing across the choss with no gear was terrifying. Thankfully the further you get from the corner the more solid it becomes and it all turns out fine...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...