UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Mammut Reclimbing the Classics: Ep. 4 The Face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Jul 2014
Barbara Bacher on The Face, 8a+, Frankenjura, 5 kbIn the fourth episode of Mammut's 'Reclimbing the Classics' series, Mammut athlete Barbara Bacher attempts to climb Jerry Moffat's hard and classic Frankenjura route, The Face, 8a+ in very cold conditions...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69017
 Brass Nipples 03 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great interview, memories of those times.

Adam Lincoln 03 Jul 2014
Mammut not climbing the classics

Brendan 03 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed that but... what is the deal with the pic of the girl and the Porsche?
 Mountain Lass 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Brendan:

> Really enjoyed that but... what is the deal with the pic of the girl and the Porsche?

Here here. I get really tired of this sort of thing. It puts off young women and positions those of us who wish to climb hard against a difficult model of femininity - What does the woman have to do with the climbing?

Let the flames commence, but first it would be great if people checked out:

http://everydaysexism.com/

peace
ml
 BelleVedere 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Brendan:

mostly it seems like a way to make yourself look like a bit of a idiot. which is a shame cos the dudes a bit of a hero to me.
 TobyA 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Mountain Lass:

> Let the flames commence,

A nice film but a dumb photo - at least it looks stupid used with no context. Its probably about 20 years old, and I suppose shows a certain era but I'm not sure why UKC chooses to put it there with none of that context though.

Your profile says you've been climbing over 20 years so you may well remember when the film The Real Thing was released, featuring Moon and Moffat screeching around Fontainbleau in powerful cars when they weren't bouldering. IIRC, one of the magazines - OTE maybe? - commented on and questioned the laddish dimensions of this. I guess the photo is of the same era? Presumably they wanted to promote a certain image.
 Juicefree 04 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Looks cool to me! Kudos Jerry!
 Wft 04 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I saw this pic and laughed out loud, nothing to do with the woman, just look at Jerry!
In reply to GuyVG:

Someone has posted that picture on the Peak Rock facebook page and some bright spark has posted below it "Is she a tranny" and the next reply below that says "No, it's Jerry Moffat". Made me laugh.
slinky wizard 04 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice article thanks . Not sure about the pic of Jerry and his Mrs though!
 Blake 04 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

FFS, its a joke... they're just taking the piss out of him... you cant really survive in climbing circles without a bit of banter
 royal 07 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Haha can't believe people are moaning about a picture that is so obviously a piss take of that whole era!
 stp 07 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Good vid though a few points.

I seem to remember the Face was 7c+ back in the day. Quite a difference from 8a+.

Secondly Jerry says Redpointing is surely more exhausting. Not sure if that was a mistake or he was just being generous but yo-yoing routes is a far harder style than redpointing.

Finally the pic of the girl is out of context if you don't know Jerry or anything about him. That pic would have been taken as a kind of a joke to amuse his friends, very a much tongue in cheek, take the pee kind of way.
In reply to UKC News:

picture is quality! well funny
 ericinbristol 25 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Hubble 8c+? I thought the view these days, influenced by Ondra, is 9a?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...