UKC

Strava Segments and accuracy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 13 Jul 2014
I uploaded a run on to Strava yesterday and was looking at the segments, one jumped out as being very slow, 5:11/KM run where I averaged 4:30/KM, so I had a look at what my Garmin recorded and it showed 4:34/KM for the section in question.

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, I was just going for a steady / easy run but in terms of using Strava over other online recording sites it sort of is a big deal. Anyone else had similar issues.
OP The New NickB 13 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Just me it seems!
 Nutkey 13 Jul 2014
Nope - I've noticed this. I'm currently the record holder for a local segment where Strava reckons I did 1:04. I made it 1:10 by my watch, and very similar by looking at the GPS track (FWIW that would still be 1st place), and while I might be a little out on where the segment starts at finishes, I'm not six seconds out....
Post edited at 12:23
 yorkshireman 13 Jul 2014

Sometimes Strava has messed the speed on a given segment or best 5km/10km etc but I've always just flagged it on Strava support and they've very quickly fixed it. There's a phenomenal amount of number crunching going on its bound to mess up occasionally.

However I've also noticed that if I deviate from a known segment then Strava will still say I ran it (especially common if I run away from the trails) so if the segment is a known distance, and it includes me as having run from the start to the end of the segment in a known time, then I might get a slower reading.
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thing is, it is just a fairly straight section of road, the GPS trace matches the segment perfectly, but for some reason it has added a minute or so on to my time for the segment.
 ablackett 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Nutkey:

> Nope - I've noticed this. I'm currently the record holder for a local segment where Strava reckons I did 1:04. I made it 1:10 by my watch, and very similar by looking at the GPS track (FWIW that would still be 1st place), and while I might be a little out on where the segment starts at finishes, I'm not six seconds out....

Your watch might only be recording your position every 5-10 seconds, so an error of 6 seconds is within expectations. If you set your watch to "every second" you could have more accurate segment times. I'm not sure how regular the app records times. GPS drift could also account for an error of a few seconds.

Just done a 5 mile run tonight, using a few local segments as efforts, did a mile in 5:35, which Strava has recorded as 5:59, massive difference.
 ablackett 13 Jul 2014

How do you know you did a mile in 5:35? What device are you using?
In reply to ablackett:

Garmin Forerunner 610, if the difference had been 4 seconds I would have accepted it as being within the margin of error of the watch, but not 24.

Some investigation suggests a software glitch, the correct pace is there in the system, but incorrect data is showing up on the segments. Oh well, I am sure it will get sorted.
 Dan_S 13 Jul 2014

Sometimes it takes a while for Strava to process the track correctly. I fairly often get spikes and odd speeds immediately after upload, but an hour or so later, they've been flattened out.
 Banned User 77 18 Jul 2014

Did you stop your watch at all?

Sometimes it seems to count the stops, especially on segments.
 Banned User 77 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan_S:

> Sometimes it takes a while for Strava to process the track correctly. I fairly often get spikes and odd speeds immediately after upload, but an hour or so later, they've been flattened out.

Yeah it does this with elevation.. not sure what they do but if you leave it an hour or so the elevation becomes smoothed and much more accurate.
OP The New NickB 18 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Did you stop your watch at all?

> Sometimes it seems to count the stops, especially on segments.

No stops.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...