UKC

Help Save/Reopen The Rising Sun pub near Wintour's Leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul wood 14 Jul 2014

Hello All,
If you are old enough you might remember having a pint in the Rising Sun in Woodcroft after a climb at Wintour's Leap.

To cut a long story short the pub:
a) Is now owned by a property developer.
b) Who has submitted a planning application to change to houses. We need objections to his planning application NOW! The Deadline is JULY 28th, nothing after this will be considered.
c) The pub was run in recent years by a string of people who didn't really have much idea about running a pub.
d) A group of locals have been trying to buy the pub and run it as a "community run" pub. (I am not the expert in this respect but could get answers to questions if people have any).
e) Apparently no "community run" pubs in the UK have closed. So it's a good model.
f) The pub is listed as a community asset - which is a step in the right direction.
g) Our council want to encourage tourism so as a visitor your support would count very much.

Here is some text detailing how to object:
Please help us by objecting to this development by either:

a)writing to Ms Samm Jarman, The Planning Office, Forest of Dean District Council, High Street, Coleford. GL168HG . Quoting reference P1355/13/FUL.
b) going to web page www.fdean.gov.uk click on planning then ‘view planning’ and then the Public Access Link-in the search box add the reference P1355/13/FUL, click on comments and complete the login.
Or
c)by sending an email to planning@fdean.gov.uk and quoting the reference P1355/13/FUL

BY Mon 28th JULY- anything after this will not count.
Thanks so much for helping. If you object I'll even buy you a pint when it re-opens

Paul
Post edited at 12:08
 Mark Storey 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

Objection registered - and mines a pint of Butty Bach please.

Mark
pasbury 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:
Thanks for bring this to our attention.

There has been a massive pub shaped hole in the Wintour's climbing experience lately.

I'm personally very pissed off that so many pubs are being turned into shops and houses!

Will be objecting when I get home.

I'll have one of the Kingstone Brewery ales please - got to support our local brewers.
Post edited at 14:25
 timjones 14 Jul 2014
In reply to pasbury:

> I'm personally very pissed off that so many pubs are being turned into shops and houses!

Whilst many people express this sentiment they don't seem to be in any rush to buy a pub and work long hours for poor returns!

pasbury 14 Jul 2014
In reply to timjones:

No, I am however prepared drink considerable quantities of beer in pubs as my little way of supporting them.
 katec 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

About time something was done to get this pub open again, so I have made my objection and will gladly take you up on that offer of a pint!
 Babika 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

I've written to Ms Jarmann objecting.
Hope that they see sense as I really miss the Rising Sun
 Babika 15 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

I've also just circulated your message around our club (65 emails) and at least 2 others have written to Ms Jarman immediately.

Perhaps others who see this thread can consider sending round their climbing clubs as well?

PS a pint of shandy is my normal drink after a hot day at Wintours!
OP paul wood 16 Jul 2014
Great thanks all.

Yes please forward to anyone who might be interested.
I would have loved a pint after climbing on the North Wall last night.

OP paul wood 23 Jul 2014
Only a few days left if you've not objected yet. Please do.
Many thanks
Paul
 katec 23 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

Aye, we could have done with it being open last night!
 katec 25 Jul 2014
In reply to katec:

Rick and Rick have you put pen to paper yet?
 Uluru 25 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

Done. It would be such a shame to see this lovely pub replaced by yet more houses.
 Chris Sansum 25 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:
Sent an email, and circulated this around my Facebook page.

I can't stand the fact that our culture is being eroded in the name of short term money-making by greedy companies who just see these places as a piece of property to sell.
Post edited at 15:41
 Snot 27 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:
Sent an email and recieved this response:

"This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 59 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time."

I call shenanigans!
Post edited at 15:22
 alasdair19 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Snot:

Just sent my mine hope it gets through
 Rick Sewards 28 Jul 2014
In reply to katec:

Hi Kate (and Paul!)

Thanks for the reminder - have submitted my objection

Cheers
Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...