UKC

Sub 3hrs at next VLM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for some advice on training for next years London marathon. I just got in on the back of a good for your age (I'm 42) entry, having run the Edinburgh marathon this May in 3.01.52. My training mileage was never very high (by marathon standards), peaking at around 50 miles for a couple of weeks and had a few bumps and missed sessions along the way. Most of the training runs were hard (by my standard)and I didn't add many miles for mileage sake.

Question is, will the same routine cut it this time around in order to go sub 3 at London. Ideally I'd like to run 2.55. Higher mileage the only sure way to go? Just more speed work? How does London course compare to Edinburgh (touted as fast but with nasty headwind the norm)? Thanks PHIL
 Liam M 17 Jul 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

What were your splits? What are your recent bests at shorter distances? This can give an idea of your strengths and weaknesses.
In reply to Liam M:

I don't race often and less on roads. My only previous road half marathon was 1.29. At Edinburgh, i went through 1/2 way in 1.29 and faded a bit (but not too badly) in last 10km. Was probably under 3hour pace until around 18 miles. Since I was a under target pace on that day, I was more concerned about blowing up than about pushing to get under 3. Based on training runs, I think I could 'race' 18 mins for 5km/ 39 mins for 10km and 1.27 for a 1/2. I did 5 hours 23 for the Mont Blanc marathon 2 weeks ago if that helps!
 yorkshireman 17 Jul 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

I'm in a similar boat although a bit more off the mark (3:08 in Paris). I'm targeting Amsterdam in October for sub 3, the plan being that it would be easier to get the long runs in during the summer (I live in the mountains so winter is tough to put quality miles in).

I've done a sub 40 10km, but like you rarely run on roads - my half marathon split was 1.29 too but I get cramps in the calf and hamstrings in the last couple of kms of a marathon.

I think more long runs at pace are needed but I've had most of June off with an ankle injury (missing the Mont Blanc marathon as a result) so struggling to get the form back now.
In reply to yorkshireman:

Bad luck in missing MB, it was 'great' (i can say that now its done), despite the crap weather. I wish London wasnt in April as know that motivation for road runs in Edinburgh from Dec to Feb is going to be low.
 Banned User 77 17 Jul 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Well just peak for longer.. 2 weeks at 50 is nothing. I'd not focus on speed work as you had the pace near enough. Just longer runs, 4 or 5 20 milers, plenty of 16-18 milers loads of 10-13 milers.

And don't miss sessions.. be very strict on hitting weekly targets on mileage. Road running takes no time, 13 miles is 1:30-1:40..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...