UKC

First time buyer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 19 Jul 2014
Now I know the actual response should be that when i find the 'one', I'll know
But I'm looking at buying my first house and have been to view a few properties and was just wondering how many people looked out before they found their house

In reply to goose299:

I have never had any emotional attachment to any house I have lived in. I look around, I find one that seems to be ok and about the right price in an area that suits where I am working.

I put in an offer and if it gets accepted great if not then I look again. People who get attached and think it is the "one" are driving prices upwards.

This is only my take on it, I am sure others think differently
 1poundSOCKS 19 Jul 2014
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

It's not an unusual point of view, thinking that it's other people who are the problem.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yes I see your point but the last house I offered on, the sellers tried the whole "there is someone else interested will you up your offer as we would hate you to miss out on this wonderful house" gag after they had accepted my offer.

I declined and withdrew from the sale. Can't be bothered with all that stuff. The house is still on the market 6 months later.
 Philip 19 Jul 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Both of our houses (completing 2nd this Wednesday coming) have been found on Rightmove. We looked at 3 others to compare with the first, and 1 other for the second (although that was actually before it, the one we're buying was the comparison to that).

With both we've bought based on what we could do not what it had, for us that's a blank canvas of a garden, or close to it.

Don't be fooled by lovely decorated rooms, and new kitchens and bathrooms if you think you'll redo them anyway.

Once you find somewhere, I would use Rightmove to find some comparisons, for example the biggest in the same price range, or the most modern, and then you get a better idea of what you're getting for your money.

If you set your heart on living in one location but an equally convenient one has a better value house you need to think about location vs value for money.
OP goose299 19 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Yeh, it feels like I'm not off rightmove at the moment. We've found one that looks like the perfect house. Cheap, huge and in a real nice area.
Going to see it on Tuesday but can't help thinking there has to be something wrong with it
 Blue Straggler 19 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

I spent 4 months. Two offers rejected and one withdrawn by me on advice from an experienced friend. I wasn't bothered about any of those houses. Then I found a nice one, bought it and have been happy here for 10 years.
In reply to goose299:
We have just bought our first house, this week in fact. We looked at 3, then one came up that fit pretty much everything we needed plus a little more and we put a stupid offer £20k less than the asking price in.

Low and behold, it was accepted. Start to finish, just under 6 weeks.

I think the housing market is very different depending on where you are. We're in rural Devon, where there is an odd combination of people absolutely desperate for houses, weird conditions placed on a lot of properties (having to live or work in/on Dartmoor for the last 3 years, had family who were born here etc etc) and sellers desperate for cash.

In London however, it's a world unto their own. God knows whats going on up there but it's not exactly doing any of us any favours!
Post edited at 16:45
 gethin_allen 19 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

I looked at 7 houses and bought the third one I looked at. Of the 7 houses I looked at 3 were selected by myself and the others were suggestions from the various estate agents. Surprisingly, only those that I selected were at all suitable. I was considering a offer on one but then pulled out when the estate agents were obstructive arses and then I offered £13 K (15%) under the asking price on one and after increasing this offer by £3 K telling them twice that this was my final offer they accepted.
 The Lemming 19 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Top tip, try not to buy a house with a shared drive. We did and will never make that mistake again.

You never know who will move next to you and it will be a real bugger to sell.

I speak from painful experience.
 John_Hat 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

We looked at about 20. Good luck!
 marsbar 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

When its been just me then I have narrowed it down on rightmove to what I wanted and then just viewed and bought the one I wanted.

When I bought with .my ex we narrowed it down to 4, viewed them all in a morning and bought the one we thought we would.

Paid between 7 and 10 below asking price for each.

In reply to goose299:

We completed 10 days ago on a house nr Froggatt, still living in rented while it's renovated.
This is our 4th home and hopefully the last, so on the way we built up a non-negotiable tick list of what we learned from (sometimes) harrowing experience. Each one pushes up the price range, and also depends on how long you plan to stay. If it's a 'forever home' then tick all.

Have a think about how you live, and what hacks you off, enen in a minor way. It's a big decision and investment and you have to live with it. Make a non negotiable tick list of essentials, then get on right move and get viewing. It'll put everything into perspective, and you might update your list. Don't compromise, you'll have to live with it.
Found and viewed your perfect house? Take a deep breath, wait a couple of days and go back at least once more, pref. at a different time of day when traffic, schools, light, locals etc are different from the first time you viewed.
Good luck!

alasdair19 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

loads takes ages amd is tedious you do see more of your home city than you've seen before though..

what frustrated me was unneccewssary viewing as estates agent don't give enough information online. your likely fix on some things you really want its very annoying arriving for a viewing realising its lacking something and know your wasting everyones time.

Making the biggest financial decision ever and feeling out of your depth is frankly not much fun.
 siwid 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Have you heard of property bee? Used this loads when we bought last year. Bit of software you can download which remembers any changes made to property listings on right move. Means you can see if sales have fallen through, prices have been reduced etc.

We bought the 3rd house we viewed but had been checking rightmove pretty much daily for a year before so had a good idea of what we wanted and what we'd have to pay.

Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Infinite Granite:
> In London however, it's a world unto their own. God knows whats going on up there but it's not exactly doing any of us any favours!

Just had a work colleague pay £345k for a 1 bed in a not so good part of town. Its 100% down to too many people chasing too few properties.

To the OP I doubt you'll find a perfect property, its more a case of horse trading your priorities.
Post edited at 10:04
 marsbar 20 Jul 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Found and viewed your perfect house? Take a deep breath, wait a couple of days and go back at least once more, pref. at a different time of day when traffic, schools, light, locals etc are different from the first time you viewed.

Totally agree.

If you are not at that stage then just a drive round different areas at night can help you decide what to view and places you might not want to live.

John_Hat 20 Jul 2014
In reply to John_Hat:

To add to this, a fuller explanation would be that I had an idea of price bracket, location and type of property and had that set up on Rightmove.

I then looked at *every* property that came into that selection criteria. Most were chucked out immediately, and the remainder got divided into "possible" and "probable".

"Probables" we did a drive-by and if we liked the look of the place then rang up and arranged a viewing. Several houses got junked at this stage as the estate agents brochure unaccountably failed to mention the e.g. late night curry house next door.

The remainder - as I say, about 20 - we viewed. The final three were multiple drivebys at various times and the final property we did three viewings.

Funnily enough though we had - as other people have said - a non-negotiable list and a nice-to-have list. The thing that's annoying me the most right now is something that was not on either list.
 Šljiva 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Third purchase: my non-negotiable became the compromise. Keep an open mind, you'll know when you've found the place.
 jules699 20 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

In same boat; first time buyer. I was lucky as the house I am renting I am now close to buying. I fit "the one" philosophy though. Despite originally being a renter when I saw the house I was blown away immediately and it felt right. Just fortunate my landlord willing to sell. Always ask, you never know! I foresee myself living my life in this one place...unless a gerrard butler lookalike comes along and whisks me away. So I would say follow your gut instinct. (I still looked at other houses to get a feel for what my money would buy me in the local area) Good luck!
abseil 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Just one tip at a tangent from experience [I had read the tip previously on a website, but failed to do it] - on a second or subsequent viewing, test every single appliance, light, socket, and tap etc. in the property and see if they're working or not. [I know this sounds obvious... are we the only ones who didn't do it??]

Anyway happy hunting and good luck.
 alasdair19 21 Jul 2014
In reply to abseil:

for Sheffield particularly ask about/look for damp. .. Most of the city is riddled by it
 The New NickB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

First house I bought was the second I looked at. I had a very limited budget, knew the area well and needed to sort something out pretty quickly. I looked at the 2 properties on the market that fitted my basic criteria and bought the nicer of the two.

Second house I bought, I looked at dozens. Much bigger budget, larger geographical area, bigger list of requirements.

> Yes I see your point but the last house I offered on, the sellers tried the whole "there is someone else interested will you up your offer as we would hate you to miss out on this wonderful house" gag after they had accepted my offer.

i would have politely told them to feck off too. I have no issue with people trying to get the most for their home but to mess about after and offer has been accepted is bad form.

OP goose299 21 Jul 2014
In reply to abseil:

Hadn't thought about that. good thinking.
Thanks
 Neil Williams 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

About 20 if I recall. And I ended up buying something totally different (3 bedroom terraced house) to what I originally set out to buy (1 bedroom flat) when I actually saw what was on the market and worked out how I could work the budget.

Neil
I'd have gone "no" as well, there is plenty of property out there. Don't like playing silly games. Though I did withdraw from a purchase (quite early on) when additional information (a parking problem in the local area coupled with a severe lack of respect for the owners of allocated[1] spaces) came to light. I felt really bad about doing that, but in reality as it was the thing I hated most about my old rented place it would have really ruined things and I wouldn't have stayed long.

Doing it for purely financial reasons seems a bit low.

[1] Why do people think it's OK to park in other peoples' allocated spaces? You don't often hear of people parking on other peoples' driveways.

Neil
Post edited at 10:24
In reply to Philip:
"Don't be fooled by lovely decorated rooms, and new kitchens and bathrooms if you think you'll redo them anyway."

But equally don't underestimate how long it takes to redo things in a house, particularly if you are DIYing, and how much it costs. I've nearly finished redoing mine nearly 3 years on. Doubt I'll redo a complete house again, if I move I'll be looking for one in good condition to start with.

Painting it doesn't take long (though it does take longer than you think), but other stuff really does.

Neil
Post edited at 10:31
JMGLondon 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

We bought a new-build flat. Never thought I would buy one but I'm glad we did. Everything works and even if it didn't we would would be covered by the guarantee. After deposit, stamp duty and fee's we had no cash left to spend on renovation so it worked well for us.

If you're not buying a 'forever' property, i'd try to remove as much emotion from the decision and settle on something which will sell easily and won't cost you a fortune to run / maintain.
In reply to JMGLondon:

...provided you like magnolia.

(Why do they paint new flats and houses in such an infuriatingly crap colour? Even plain white would be better).

Neil
 GrahamD 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

I think you have to be pretty hard nosed about your first house and buy depending on the re-sale potential.
JMGLondon 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Ha, yes fortunately our budget stretched to a paint pot (just...)
OP goose299 21 Jul 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Sod that, I've rented long enough to buy with the intenion of dying in the house
In reply to goose299:
Crikey, you're only 26. I didn't buy until I was 31. I don't plan on moving, but it's hard to know if you will at that age!

Neil
Post edited at 12:53
OP goose299 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yeh, 27 now. Haven't upated my profile.
But with a nipper on the way, hence why I don't want to move again
 JayPee630 21 Jul 2014

Good for you! If people acted more like that then the housing market might not be in such a mess.
 Edradour 21 Jul 2014
In reply to goose299:

Wow, that's fatalistic. Who knows what's around the corner? Job opportunities, desire to live somewhere else, unexpected change in circumstance..

On a purely financial note it is not the probably not the best idea to aim to die in the house that you buy in your late 20s. Trade up as you earn more, then downsize when you don't need the space, with property probably one of the safest investments in the UK long term then this will most likely help you to enjoy your retirement with a greater degree of financial security.
In reply to goose299:

" We've found one that looks like the perfect house. Cheap, huge and in a real nice area."

Things you won't find on rightmove but will with more research

Flood plain? Land fill? Radon gas ? Step down transformer next to property? Planning permission granted for something nearby that's not so great? Bad/noisy neighbours?

If it really is that cheap then it would never have got on rightmove before selling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...