UKC

Packing to fly to the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Lass 21 Jul 2014
Hi All

Ok so I'm flying to the Swiss Alps for the first time (always driven before, but for various reasons can't this time).

How do I pack for the plane please? - Weight and sharp things obviously an issue.

I assume: Axes and crampons in the hold, wear my mountain boots on the plane? etc., etc.

all advice tips and tricks appreciated.

ta.
ml
 d_b 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Mountain Lass:
As many layers as you can wear, pockets all full. Guidebooks, maps and cameras etc. are good for this.

I normally have pockets full of books, a rucsac packed with denser clothes (t-shirts, underwear) and cameras/electronics as hand luggage, climbing kit and less dense clothes (i.e. warm stuff) in the hold.

2 fleeces, down jacket and waterproof are hellishly uncomfortable but you only need to wear them all for about 30 seconds as you unconvincingly claim you only have 1 item of hand luggage.
Post edited at 15:38
 woodsy 21 Jul 2014

Any hardwear & ropes in the hold, as suggested wear your boots & bulky clothes.
Enjoy
Woodsy
Other solution.....travel with camera passport wallet and keys in a fleece pocket on the plane and just lob the rest all in the hold. Much less faff. Sometimes the simple solutions are better in life even if you have to throw a bit of money at the problem.

Of course mountainlass hasn't said which airline but as long as it's not Ryanair, this solution works.
Post edited at 17:08
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

What, other than weight, is the problem with putting expensive and essential harness, karabiners, wires and cams in hand luggage? It's not as though they are knives or scissors. And my whole rack for a typical mountain day weighs 5kg max, easily within the 10kg limit. I understand they imagine you could lasso the whole crew to death with your 60m but is there an issue with hardware?
 hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

You just don't want to be arguing the toss about whether something can or can't be used as a weapon with the security people.

My plan has always been if I can replace it, it goes in the hold. If I can't (and that includes boots because I don't fancy climbing and walking in new boots for a fortnight), then I wear it.
 alexcollins123 21 Jul 2014

Gear in the hold, clothes & heavy stuff on the plane. And wearing boots.
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yes, you're right. There's no arguing with a security guard packing an automatic weapon, is there?

I suppose I already trust £750 of snowboard, binding and boots to the hold so I might as well do the same with £750 worth of rack. As you say, all replaceable in most alpine resorts.
 hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2014

> How do I pack for the plane please? - Weight and sharp things obviously an issue.

I've not found weight to be an issue. My limit on weight is what I'm willing to carry up and down to the huts for two weeks.

> I assume: Axes and crampons in the hold, wear my mountain boots on the plane? etc., etc.

Boots on my feet, travel documents in my pocket, axe and crampons and everything else inside rucksack. Worst case I can replace any and all of that (later claiming on travel insurance), but I'd hate to have to source and wear brand new boots for two weeks!

hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

> Yes, you're right. There's no arguing with a security guard packing an automatic weapon, is there?

It's not so much that they're armed as they could insist that you either leave it behind or don't fly. You will struggle to claim on insurance for either circumstance, whereas in the hold if they are lost/stolen you can replace and claim later.
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yes, but when they insist in the face of patient reasoning I shall become so exasperated that I will want to resort to reasonable violence, at which point the automatic weapon comes into play...
 hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

> Yes, but when they insist in the face of patient reasoning I shall become so exasperated that I will want to resort to reasonable violence, at which point the automatic weapon comes into play...

Which I think is another reason to just pack it in the hold
In reply to BnB:

Dude, it's not a big issue. Tho I once had trouble with quickdraws in handluggage as they said they could be used as handcuffs. The problem is that whether they can or cannot be used to hold a plane hostage is irrelevant, as soon as the security have a question, they will win this one, whether or not they should!

I also just happen to like no hand baggage, just simplicity, less faff. Horses for courses though!
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Now you've spoilt my fantasy of facing down a machine gun with a buggette in one hand, the other on the trigger of a no 2 friend,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...