UKC

25 or 28 700c tyres?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 21 Jul 2014
I've recently brought my road bike to the UK and have been out riding on English roads for the first time ever on a 'proper' road bike (I did have a 10 speed Peugeot 'racer' through my teenage years but that is back in the mists of time!).

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the country roads I've been riding on so far but there are the odd pot holes, drain gratings that you can't avoid, cattle grids (and on ride to the top of Clee Hill, huge amounts of sheep sh*t!), making it a bit bumpier than Finland where I've done my riding previously. So I can see why people like 25 or even 28 mm tyres over the 23s I currently have. I do have CX bike that will also be eventually in the UK, so when its really muddy or rough I guess I'll use that - but I figure something a bit thicker will help protect my wheels and ride out the bumps better on normal road rides.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a model, and whether to go straight for 28s or try 25s first? Has anyone else experimented with wider tyres than 23s recently and found it is a noticeable difference?
 Oujmik 21 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

It is noticeable, but you may find 28s are a tight fit depending on your frame clearance. I'd give some michelin pro4 25mm a go, possible the endurance model for longer life. I'd like some of these myself but unfortunately the mudguards on my commuting bike force me to stick with 23s.
 webbo 21 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I changed my GP4000 23s to 25s. I haven't noticed any improvement in comfort or improved riding and they are a sod to fit in the bike when inflated.
 The New NickB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I noticed a real difference going from 'stock' 23mm to good quality 25mm, loads comfier, but also lighter and I suspect less rolling resistance. I'm going to put 28mm on the winter bike.
Removed User 21 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I run Conti GP4000s at 25mm on a carbon frame, it does make a difference and the limiting factor in my ride distance is my fitness and not bike comfort. I also have 28mms on my 'Audax' bike, the 25mms are much more nimble so I'd save the fat rubber for your cx bike. That said, as far as I can tell most brit riders are still on 23mm.
 The Potato 21 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

23c at 100 psi carbon seatpost and lightly padded shorts
OP TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply all:

Thanks everyone. A few ideas there anyway - my current tyres are pretty new so maybe I'll wear them out a bit, but I may well try some 25s soon.
 Escher 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Is this for your BeOne Mistral? Dare I say it but the frame is a very harsh ride, wider tyres will help but won't tame all the harshness out of it. The clearance under the brakes and between tyre and seat tube is pretty small so I'm not sure what you'll fit in. Would probably worth trying to borrow some wider tyres before you buy as it could be quite a tight fit. Another alternative, though not cheap, is to use wider rims - 23mm - and 23mm tyres. That combo makes a big difference to comfort too.
Removed User 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I've just moved to 25s and they are ace. Feel just as fast.
OP TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Escher:

> Is this for your BeOne Mistral?

Gosh, you have a good memory! Or are you a bike stalker?

> Dare I say it but the frame is a very harsh ride,

Have you got one too? It's funny - I've never thought that; I've only had one 'proper' road bike before (steel framed) so I did wonder if when I got the BeOne if I'd find it a rough ride but I really don't. It is nice to know that if in a few years time I get a new road bike with fancy carbon frame, then I can expect it to be even nicer to ride than the Mistral - because I'm really happy with Mistral as it rides now!

I've just been looking at the clearance and I can't see the frame is an issue - at least not for just a couple of mms difference with 25s, but if I do get some I will report back.

OP TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

So ironically (coincidentally?) after asking this yesterday, I went for a ride this morning in the lovely sunshine. I was on a big descent come back towards my the start of my ride - its a decent road but there was nothing behind me so I was riding a bit out into lane to make sure I didn't hit any drains or potholes on the edge. And then of course while doing maybe 65 kmph theres a big crack across the road - I see way too late to do anything and ride straight over it. It didn't throw me around too much but straight away I can hear that I've punctured my back wheel. Arrggggh... Pull over, whip the wheel off, swap out the tube, pump it back up best I can with my mini pump. Get back on and see that front is also now flat. Double Arrgggh... Fortunately I had two spair tubes with me, so repeat the process then ride a bit more timidly home.

I haven't had a snakebite flat like that for years and never had two from one pothole before! There are so many good climbs, and hence descents, to do around here in Worcestershire than there are back home in Finland so I'm breaking my own max speed records on the descents - but I think I want some tyres that probably are a bit tougher for when you do hit the very occasional pothole or major crack while doing 60 or even 70 clicks downhill. :-/
 Escher 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA: Ha! Yes I bought one at the same time as you as they were such a good deal on CRC. Since then I've upgraded via a Ribble and two Scott Addict frames. I keep the Mistral in the garage for other people to ride when they visit without a bike and occasionally ride it as it is a perfectly good bike but I do feel pretty beaten up afterwards if I ride more than 50 miles on it!

I regularly do long rides but have never been over a hundred miles on it, it's just too rough. My other bikes are so much more comfy. The Addicts in particular are really very good. When you do upgrade I'd thoroughly recommend buying a second hand, premium carbon frame that's a few years old and swapping the groupset over. That way you can get a very, very good bike that was silly money a few years ago for quite a good price. Something like a Cannondale Super Six, Colnago C59, Canyon CF SLX, Scott Addict. And it will be an exceptionally good ride.

But you should probably not read or listen to any of this. I was perfectly happy with what I had until I rode someone elses Addict and thought 'blimey, this bike is amazing!' Ignorance is bliss

OP TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Escher:

It's also possible that I have a big fat bum and (once described by a mate as "mole-like") chubby crack climbers hands, which together work like full suspension.

Before coming to the UK I sold my old mountain bike so I'm afraid a new one of those will be priority number one when I can afford to consider a new bike, but the looking out for a good frame is a smart idea.
 Stig 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I went straight from years of knobbly tires on my cross bike straight to 25s on the same bike - I was astounded by the difference. Felt like floating on roads and way faster off road. They roll incredibly well on gravel tracks, even quite rough stuff. So yeah I wouldn't bother with 28s if I were you.

Mine are Schwalbe Duranos. Recommended.
OP TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stig:

Cheers! Was just looking at the Duranos - a bit pricey but I'm such a fan of Marathon Plus (10,000 kms and no punctures) and now Marathon Plus Tours on my CX, I'm quite tempted to just swallow the weight and cost consideration and hope they are as everything proof as the Marathons.
 Stig 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I felt exactly the same - saw cheaper tyres around but already a fan of Schwalbe having used CX Pros and Racing Ralphs. Duranos are really light and go on easily whereas I had read reviews suggesting Contis can be very tight on the wheel. Also TBH I couldn't find any real bargains in 25c so that sealed it for me.

It's still worth looking on ebay though as sometimes there are good deals on pairs of tyres.
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I run 28s, no slower and noticeably comfier. I also run tubeless
In reply to TobyA:

I ride 23s in the US where I find roads a little smoother.

25s in Scotland, it seemed to make a big difference in comfort but maybe that was the tyre rather than just the size.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...