UKC

Cycle caps, why the strange shape?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 23 Jul 2014

I love the stylish cycling cap, and whenever I see someone wearing one it takes me back to my youth and seeing Eddy Merckz winning numerous cycling events (usually highlighted on Grandstand or World of Sport). I see that they have found a new home, upon the floppy, side parted barnets of the fixie riding hipster. I might even get one myself :-O

So, this got me thinking, why are they that shape?
Is it to wear under a helmet I thought, no as they didn't wear such apparel in the 70's.
To keep the sun out of their eyes? Not really, as the peak seems too small.

So over to you velonistas, tell me why are cycling caps so designed?

Just a bit of light mid-morning musing.
 andy 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade: weren't they originally worn by bakers? I notice the folks who make pizza in Pizza Express wear a black and white one.

Liam M 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade: The size of the peak is actually quite good for keeping the sun (or rain) out of your eyes. Especially if on the drops your head will be inclined forward, and the peak extends far enough to serve its purpose in this position.

I once tried riding with a casquette with a slightly larger peak (I've taken to using them in the rain) and it gave me a sore neck and shoulders having to crane my neck back to see.
 James FR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

According to (part of) Rule #22: "Visors should be short. This is because the purpose of a cap is to be worn while riding, and when the head is tipped down as you move to The V-Locus, you need to be able to see up the road to where the guns will detonate without tilting your head up in order to see past the visor."

humptydumpty 23 Jul 2014

Also a big peak gives you lots of wind resistance that can blow your hat off.
 Enty 23 Jul 2014

And remember. Cycling caps are for cycling.

E
In reply to all:

Aha - that all makes perfect sense now (with the exception of Pizza Express haha) - thanks for comments.

In reply to James FR:

Not sure I fully understand this, is it an actual reference or a joke I don't get? sorry
 James FR 23 Jul 2014

It's sort of both; check out the rules on velominati.com to discover a world that you possibly don't want to know about...
 Bob Hughes 23 Jul 2014

www.velominati.com/
In reply to James FR and Bob:

Damn you both, that's my afternoon gone! haha
 Flinticus 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thanks for that: some great rules there (though I'm an MTB user)
 ali_mac 23 Jul 2014

the 'short' peak is of a perfect size to prevent the spray from the rear wheel infront of you, that you are busting your guts to stay in the slip stream of, from flicking into your eyes. The spray 'arcs' up ont the peak and is of adequate length to enable you to see up the road (past the bike in front).
And on dry days the peak drips the sweat from running down your face.
absolute necessity if like me you have inadequate eye brows to act as guttering.
 steveriley 23 Jul 2014

Just 'head shaped' aren't they? Unchanged since the olden days. Peak not too big, not too small. And for what it's worth when I've caught a glimpse of my next door neighbour in his bakery, he's wearing a white bakery cap. Not particularly a bike fan but has recently sprouted a set of fine sideys come to think of it...
 TobyA 23 Jul 2014

For summer riding they're really nice BECAUSE they fit well under a helmet and then I found they stop the horrible dripping of sweat down from the forehead pads on my helmet down onto the insides of my sunglasses. It's disgusting enough how sweaty I get when I ride hard without it ruining your vision too! I shave my head as well, so they keep the sunburn off.

I just bought a couple more 1.99 ones from Planet X so I can just chuck one in the wash as soon as I've been out for a ride.
In reply to TobyA:

You guys have answered my questions, many thanks.

Given that I spend an inordinate amount of time wiping sweat from my glasses I'm going for a Molten, Eddy Merckx copy (I might even grow a pair of sidies myself haha)

It'll also help me ride like The Cannibal - One can dream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...