UKC

Miffed by Mid Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 26 Jul 2014
Just uncoiled my new 40m Python and ran it through a few times and was a bit miffed to find the mid mark, well, not in the middle. Are 5/8 marks the new thing? A design feature of Edelrid ropes? Or, was Johnnie no stars on rope marking duty at the factory that day?
 Blue Straggler 26 Jul 2014
In reply to mmmhumous:
Was it 20m from one end? Your rope is probably xm longer than 40m, and your mark is probably 20m from one end and (20+x)m from the other, rather than (20 + x/2)m from each end

e.g. I once bought a 70m rope, measured it to be 72m, cut 30m off it as I wanted a 40m rope and my mate wanted a 30m and this was on a good deal...now...where do you expect the old middle mark to be on my 42m length?

If it had been a true 70m rope cut into a 30 and a 40, you would expect it to be 5m from one end of my 42. But I have a 42m rope, remember....
So do you think my middle mark is 7m from one end and 35m from the other (which means that originally it was 37m from one end and 35m from the other)?

If so, well done and have a biscuit.
Post edited at 17:42
 Enty 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

He needs to dounble check or he might die

E
OP mmmhumous 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

~45m actual length. Mid point is ~30m from one end and 15m from t'other. 60m rope that's been chopped or a 1/3 mark?
 Niall 26 Jul 2014
In reply to mmmhumous:

You need to stretch it until it evens out

DISCLAIMER: Don't actually do that.....
In reply to mmmhumous:

Put another one of equal size the same distance from the other end.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jul 2014
In reply to mmmhumous:

Aaaaaaahhh

Oh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...