UKC

7 days walking in the u.k.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dauphin 27 Jul 2014
I've got 10 days off in the middle of August and will probably want to go walking somewhere without a car for a week - was thinking about South Downs way or south east Coast path, normally head to nw Scotland but it's a total ball ache to get to from the SE. Any suggestions, remote, hilly and near the sea are all good. Oh it will be self supported. No motorways like the
WHW thanks.

D
In reply to Dauphin:

Cadair, Rhinogs etc?
 victorclimber 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

why not drive to Helmsley and do the Cleveland Way nice weeks walking and far better than the South Downs way
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Cambrian Way, Cardiff Castle to Conway Castle. It never became an official long distance path, so remains remarkably unspoilt but a great walk. Did it with a tent in 87.

OP Dauphin 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Dont really know Wales apart from Brecon & bits of Snowdonia. Is there a weeks worth? Snowdonia seems so small and off puttingly busy even compared to the Lakes that I instinctively avoid.

D
 Neils 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Pembroke. Beaches and climbing.
In reply to Dauphin:

Snowdonia is really quite big! Most of it is south of Snowdon - maybe it's that bit up north that you mean? Cover the full length of the park and you could have a brilliant week's walking, much of it pretty wild. Start somewhere like Machynlleth then head north to Conwy. You'd fill about a week if you climbed all of: Cadiar Idris; Rhinogydd (Rhinogs) south to north; Moelwyns; across to Moel Hebog sort of thing; Snowdon; Glyderau; full length of the Carneddau. The Rhinogs in particular are very rough and remote-feeling, about as close to proper wild country that you can get in Britain south of Scotland and near the sea too which ticks that box for you.
OP Dauphin 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Okay I'll have a gander. Maybe UKH will get a route card out of it.

D
altirando 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Definitely recommend the area south of the popular Snowdonia spots. I think there is now a named trail over the Rhinog maze of little hills. Quite a tough walk in one day. The Mawddach estuary is a good centre. There is a new website. Try the traverse of the Cadair ridge as opposed to the usual short walk up the sides. A belvedere above the estuary.
 Siward 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Scotrail says that the sleeper from London Euston to Fort William can be had- off peak- for a mere £162.30 open return (departing on 7th August- return within a month).

(thinks- actually, that's not too bad. Think you have to pay a bit extra for a bed though)

http://tickets.scotrail.co.uk/sr/en/journeyplanning/mixingdeck
 Wingnut 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Pembrokeshire Coast Path is nice too. Did it end-to-end as a holiday about ten years ago, very much enjoyed. :
OP Dauphin 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Siward:

Done it once this year already to Glenfinnan. Problem is I finish on nights this time, to have to wait 12 hours in order to pick up the sleeper probably means being awake for the whole 'sleeper' experience and a couple of written off days in the hills to start with.

D
 JJL 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Cape Wrath coastal path, staying in bothies all the way should tick your boxes.
 Trangia 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

I did the southern section of Offa's Dyke in May over 7 days. Lovely varied walking and surprisingly few other walkers en route. You can get a train back to Chepstow from Knighton (half way town)
 RyanOsborne 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

If you're going for seven whole days, then surely it'd be worth getting up to the Cairngorms? It's not that difficult on the train. Start in Aviemore, and head down through Glen Feshie, and around the southern side of the mountains, up to Corrour then Ben Macdui, Loch Avon, and the Rothiemurchus Forest? Got to be better than the south downs way!
 philpdr 29 Jul 2014
In reply to victorclimber:

> why not drive to Helmsley and do the Cleveland Way nice weeks walking and far better than the South Downs way

Totally agree.
Removed User 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

DO the Cape Wrath Trail, Harveys have just produced maps which will save a lot of carrying paper and the trail is well worth the effort , afterwards get the coach to Durness and the post bus to Lairg and train to Inverness, enjoythe best adventure in the UK
Moley 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

I'm a fan of mid Wales, Cambrians mountains, Rhinogs etc. For 7 days you could do some of the Cambrian way, starting here at Rhandirmwyn and going north until you grind to a halt, easy to wild camp.
Or this route takes in very good country, some of the best already mentioned above, probably 5 days at 15 mile days but fairly tough in places! http://www.gofar.org.uk/MeirionnyddRound.html
OP Dauphin 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Maybe sometime but not in 7 days walking time. Thats upwards of 25 miles a day coming after a 68 hour week on nights. Just isnt going to happen. Keep the suggestions coming, thanks for those so far.

D
 malk 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

The Ridgeway
Beacons Way
SW coastal path (Lyme Regis-Poole)

are all excellent week walks..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...