UKC

Jamming bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 29 Jul 2014
Hello dear boulderererers,

I am not a regular boulderer but I try to go and do some low grade bouldering when I am alone. But I would like to find some problems which involve jamming rather than a lot of slapping (is it the term?) and smearing that seem usual wherever I go.

Any place to recommend involving jamming in the low grades in the Peak (western ideally)?
 Monk 29 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

There's no one venue with loads of jamming problems but most western grit bouldering venues have a problem or two that requires jamming and there's plenty of jamming fun to be had on the first few moves of many routes. To be honest though, there aren't a huge number of pure crack boulder problems on grit.
 Jon Stewart 29 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

The lovely boulder circuit at Stanage Apparent North includes The Real 20ft Crack. Way better than its polished, unjammy namesake at Burbage.

Unfortunately jamming bouldering is hard to come by. If you're prepared to go a bit higher, there are plenty of short cracks along Curbar, e.g Start of The Affair buttress and next to The Mask. The Sheep Pit finishes up a highball jamming crack with a rather slopey top and somewhat unsettling landing. Dog Leg is the one of the best jamming boulder problems around (but easy).

The wonderful Highland Cow Baslow circuit it the BMC guide cheekily includes a cracking VS crack which is tough at the top, jammy, and even less like a boulder problem than the rest of the circuit.
 Offwidth 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Quite a few on the various Roaches circuits. The start of Crack and Corner just on the crack from the back of the recess is a peach.
OP drolex 30 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, good starting points here! Happy to travel to Curbar or Baslow if necessary. I'll have a look next time I go for some trad there and see if I can come back for bouldering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...