UKC

Running socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
myth 01 Aug 2014
Just a quick one.

What is your advice for running socks.

To give some context ill be running 13 miles. I will be wet and muddy for the majority of it. Is there one sock to rule them all?
 JayPee630 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

Really? Ones that go on your feet.
Ste Brom 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

1000 mile compression socks?
 The New NickB 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

I quite like x socks, but they are quite expensive. Aldi running socks are quite good. Pretty much anything that is a technical running sock rather than a sweaty cotton 'sport' sock is fine.
 Neil Williams 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

I wear cheapo sports socks, but it depends on how much you get blisters as to whether that will work for you.

Neil
 yorkshireman 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

I buy cheap Puma socks off Amazon and run anything from 5k recovery runs to marathons and ultras in them.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B006MV5RA4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie...

I very rarely get blisters - I don't know if I'm lucky or there's just no point wasting money on fancy socks.

I mainly run trails, so most days my feet get wet in long grass, crossing streams etc. I think you just get used to it.
Ferret 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

Socks a sock - kind of. I always want something that's snug and not too sweaty. Key for me is manufacturers who actually bother doing a good range of sizes so you can get the fit you need.

I'm pretty happy with Innov8 Mudsock (mid size) - which at about £11 and free delivery from wiggle is also pretty good value compared to some of the to my mind crazy expensive £15 to £20 per pair ones you see.....
myth 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

Thanks all.

I'll get something on the technical side as I'm prone to blisters these days, especially when wet.
 mbh 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

I doubt it matters that much. I've had two pairs of Thorlos for years now. They just go on and on. Some cheap ones from the shop over the road wore out in no time but were fine while they lasted, while an expensive 1000 mile pair with two layers are a faff to get on, and I think encourage blisters if you don't take care to smooth out the ruffles in the inner layer.
 HB1 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth: I see you live in Cheshire, so go straight to Running Bear in Alderley Edge - 3 pairs of their own socks for £10. I wear them for running/walking etc. Great value

Ander 01 Aug 2014
In reply to mbh:
> (In reply to myth)
>
> I doubt it matters that much.

I think you're right. 13 miles isn't that far- the main issue will be the condition of your feet.
 Run_Ross_Run 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

> I'm prone to blisters these days, especially when wet.

Get some body glide anti chafe balm. It should sort out any blisters.
Does for me.
 wbo 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth: I've always done very well with thin Nike ones. Thick and fancy = blisters for me

Wonrek 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:
Drymax.....nothing else comes close. I know because I run *a lot* in all conditions and weathers and I never get blisters.

And I still have ten pink toenails despite running in the region of 600 miles in the last eight weeks

Check my feet out!
Post edited at 20:27
 SFM 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

if you are near a Decathlon then I'd recommend their (thinner)running socks.
andymac 01 Aug 2014
In reply to myth:

Here in the Highlands ,we don't believe in socks .

Or shoes.

Must go and sharpen the scythe .lot of grass to cut tomorrow.

Aye.
 The New NickB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I wasn't familiar with Drymax, so I had a look at their website, looks like a lot of shampoo science and general woo, but I guess they work for you and are fairly inexpensive.
 Wonrek 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

No not at all! They are highly recommended amongst the ultra coimmunity and I can only speak for myself but I have ten pink toenails and not a blister even after several 100 mile races in them.

Doesn't sound like shapoo science sounds like good functional kit to me!
 The New NickB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

> Doesn't sound like shapoo science sounds like good functional kit to me!

The stuff on their website does, as I clearly stated. That doesn't mean they are not good functional socks and unusually for brands making the sort of claims they are, they are pretty cheap.
 LastBoyScout 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I got some X-Socks when they were on special offer in Sweatshop.

They've lasted years and are still going - I've used them for running and cycling on and off road and never had any problems with them.

Only niggle is they have gone rather grey from the original white and look terrible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...