UKC

NEW REVIEW: Petzl Sirocco Climbing Helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 04 Aug 2014
The author climbing Spring Squill, Pabbay in the Petzl Sirocco, 3 kbViv Scott tests out the bright orange Sirocco helmet from Petzl:

"At 165 grams (for the larger size), the Sirocco knocks up to a third off the weight of polystyrene helmets. 80 grams isn't much – about as much as an apple – but in a world where shaving a few per cent off the weight of a karabiner is newsworthy, taking 30-odd per cent off anything is a serious technical achievement..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6417

FreshSlate 04 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

80 grams for an apple?
 pebbles 04 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

laughed at the ugliness of these till I tried wearing one - instant convert!
 RKernan 04 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

How much force is transmitted to the head in the 5kg @ 2m test?
 Pinch'a'salt 05 Aug 2014
In reply to RKernan:

Not sure Petzl would release their actual test values, but from memory the max transmitted force permitted for the test (part of EN 12492) is 10kN...
 Mr Fuller 05 Aug 2014
In reply to RKernan:
As said above, max force is 10 kN. As with most 'soft' helmets, this will have a relatively low transmitted force, though I don't know the actual numbers. Also, the force will be fairly uniform all over the helmet (unlike some of the helmets from some other manufacturers, which, being cynical, are reinforced only at the areas that are tested in EN 12392).

What's impressive to me is that it passes the penetration test without a hard cover.
Post edited at 09:01
 Dave Flanagan 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Brilliant helmets.
 ColdWill 05 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear: Shame about the colour, Petzl even tone it down in their advertising.
 JayPee630 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

Can it be made in other colours? I dd hear there was something to do with the material that means it can't be? But find that hard to believe! A white would be nice.
 Rick Graham 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Dave Flanagan:

>
> Brilliant helmets.

Got one because it is so light I would have no excuse not to wear it,

except it is too hot !

The harness pushes the helmet forward tight to your forehead and the front pad gets very sweaty. ATM am experimenting with spaced pads to provide a bit of front ventilation but not got a good solution yet.

I think Petzl got a bit carried away with absolute lightness. A slightly better cradle might solve the problem.

Not convinced about the (heavy) magnet gimmick. Maybe Petzl spent so much on development they had to use it.
Post edited at 19:00
In reply to UKC Gear:

Today after finishing a climb, and watching my feet closely as I walked off the top I stupidly managed to walk forehead first into a fencepost. There was that feeling of 'Oh, here comes the pain' but I realised the Sirocco had absorbed the large part of the impact. It was a pretty hard smack, enough to make my teeth crack together, but I actually felt the helmet sort of... bounce off the wood. I'm pretty sure it was the corner of the fencing too so when I took my helmet off I felt sure it was going to be cracked, but amazingly I couldn't even see a mark. If it was a superlight foam lid I think it definitely would have been totalled...
 nufkin 05 Aug 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> A white would be nice.

Pish. The whole point of the garish orange is to make sure everyone knows you're wearing the swankiest helmet available
 Skipinder 06 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I bought one a few months ago and aside from looking like a tangerine I love it! I've climbed in hot, ok, hot by UK temperatures, weather and love it. I've done similar and whacked my head, expected pain and then remembered I have a hollow tangerine on my head.

Love Masa's pics of the routes too!
 ColdWill 06 Aug 2014
In reply to JayPee630: I heard that somewhere as well. I think maybe a nice brown colour with a swirl on top would improve the design.
 flaneur 07 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

The only time Chris Sharma has ever looked uncool was wearing a Sirocco helmet.
 Dr.S at work 07 Aug 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

> I heard that somewhere as well. I think maybe a nice brown colour with a swirl on top would improve the design.

or maybe just pop it in some bleach overnight?
 GridNorth 07 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

The best looking helmet I ever owned was an AGV with a foam trim on the front. No ventilation and weighed a ton. Give me the Sirocco any day. Everyone looks a bit of a tw*t in a helmet the only difference is that you look like a tangerine tw*t in a Sirocco.
 Rick Graham 07 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

My first helmet also, a natty orange I recall.

Some things never change

Shame I cannot link the photo of you wearing it !
 GridNorth 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Rick Graham: This is me on Quartz Icicle in said helmet circa 1971 ish

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bjcsxaum1t3ljzq/AABCjJhQAgkoy2huJQ3Vwi0Za
 Skipinder 07 Aug 2014
In reply to flaneur:

Does this mean I have to shout and scream like him when I climb with mine on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...