UKC

Climbing on Rhodes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

I'm heading to Rhodes in Greece in a few weeks. I see there are a few small crags on the island with a variety of grades.

Is it worth packing the gear?

Sam
 Andy Prickett 07 Aug 2014
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:
Hi Sam
Don't know much about the climbing on Rhodes, but there are some routes on Symi which is a short ferry crossing away.
They range from 1 and 2 pitch sports routes to 10 pitch trad routes.
We have more info if you are interested.
Andy
 Steph Roberts 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Prickett:
Hi,

Yeah any info would be great. Will just bring draws and rope to keep it simple so sport only.

Are the routes on Symi close to the ferry or is it bike hire?

Sam

- wrong account - my bad
Post edited at 17:41
 mick t 08 Aug 2014

There is a reasonable bolted crag a couple of miles south of falaraki on the coast. A reasonable spread of grades & one really stonkin tuffa route at 6b/6b+. However many of the other routes are very very sharp. Sorry cant quite remember where i got info might have been by folowing linls to othergreek climbing via climb kalymnos website
 Andy Prickett 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Steph Roberts:

Hi Steph
Sorry about the delay.
The climbing on Symi is in St. George's Bay which you would need to access by taxi boat.
When we were last on the island (2005) there were 10 sport routes, one on the left side of the bay (6a) and the rest at the right end with the first at the back of the obvious gulley. Grades range from 5c to 6b+.
There is a lot of potential for more routes. The cliffs are 300m high.
Regards
Andy
 The Lemming 11 Aug 2014

Just got back from a beach holiday at the Old Town. Rather than taking kit I suggest that you bring a big fat wallet. Two small beers cost on average 10 Euro. Greece may be going bust but nobody told the tourist industry.

Can't help with the climbing aspect though.
In reply to The Lemming:

Sounds like all inclusive was a good shout then. Local beers for me then.

I've been looking round google a lot. Are there any indoor walls on the island? I can find anything online.

Sounds like a lot of effort to go climbing, 10 lines is one day out but can imagine can be boring day 2.
 victorclimber 12 Aug 2014

been going to Lindos on Rhodes for 30 plus years ,always take rock boots and chalk ,but only ever boulder ..
In reply to victorclimber:

wheres the bouldering? Unless i'm being completely stupid I can't find anything about that anywhere - is it more just make up your own on the beach? We are staying near to lindos so sure won't be too far.
ESTBrokenspirit 12 Aug 2014

Hi Sam , I've found 3 sport climbing crags on line and will be in rhode the same time as you , would be cool to hook up for a climb . Sent you an email
Cheers stuart
 Mike Conlon 13 Aug 2014

Only been to Rhodes once, staying at Pefcos. I seem to remember an interesting little traverse around St Paul's Bay on the back of Lindos.
 bobbyf 13 Aug 2014

I've stayed in Pefkos a couple of times and have managed to get some fantastic scrambling done in the hills behind the village. Some ridge lines up there are about 300meters long on fantastic clean, grippy rock and will go at anywhere from grade 2 upwards. It reminded me a lot of climbing and scrambling on the Isle of Arran only 20 degrees hotter with more creepy crawlies! I just took approach shoes and lots of water.
 mick t 13 Aug 2014

Hi,
Found link to info /topos for rhodes -http://www.rodosclimb.info/
Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...