UKC

Starting out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Ford 10 Aug 2014
I know that there have been various discussions on this subject before, but its a serious question. Doe's anyone start their climbing journey by just going out with a few mates and climbing on local crags anymore, working their way through the grades.
There are lots of threads started by new and prospective climbers asking for advice on UKC and very little of this advice is 'just get out there and do it'. It may be that this way of beginning is lost and many of the contributors to UKC have gone the route of climbing wall, courses etc.
Just wondering,

Pete
 Jack B 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Ford:

It depends exactly what you mean. I think there's a good few people about who didn't use walls or courses to get started.

I started out by scrambling, then climbing easy routes with more experienced friends. It worked well. I wouldn't recommend a group of equally inexperienced friends going out and learning by doing though, too much to go wrong, and the only way they'll learn about back clipping is having an accident or near miss.
 Stevie989 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Ford:

I did. At 26/27 I had wanted to climb for years having done a little in my early teens in the scouts etc.

Living in the worst part of lowland scotland with practically Zero nearby crags and no access to anyone that climbed I just didn't bother - my late teens and early twenties being taking up by other sports/drinking/getting a job.

I then started bouldering in at the GCC and Glasgow TCA on and off for a couple of years never any outdoor stuff really . Work, tendentious and lack of psych meaning I would drop it for 9mths at a time.

This summer now 29 (with more free time) I have just got out there and done it. Found partners here on the UKC or just went and shunted myself. Wish I'd done it years ago and now have aspirations well above my means.

I did just this week do a day with a dude looking to get his MIA which was a great experience - making sure what I was doing was safe and better more efficient ways of doing things. I now feel confident with multipitching going forward. I have went from leading S to HVS/E2 in 4-5 weeks.
 trouserburp 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Ford:

If you have climbing mates taking you out you're not going to post on here asking for advice on how to get started. I've introduced quite a few and imagine most long-term climbers have
 MischaHY 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Ford: I think it depends on the type of person you are, not what options are available/advice given. I climbed indoors for years before venturing outside, but my first trad experiences were of heading to a crag with the bare minimum of gear and an equally inexperienced friend, and having plenty of exciting dangerous times before finally gaining some decent knowledge.

Others may feel more comfortable learning skills from a professional - this is also fine. Nothing has been lost, just more people are climbing now, and not all of those people are the type to jump in the deep end.
 jwa 10 Aug 2014
I climbed at school for a few years then stopped for about 7 or 8. When I got back into climbing I started just bouldering indoors, then made friends with one of the instructors at the wall. He taught me indoor leading and then very quickly took me to Wales. My first ever outdoor lead was a multi pitch in the rain. Although my friend is an instructor we went out as friends and what we were doing was outside of his instructor remit anyway.
Simos 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Ford:

My guess is that while more adventurous, it doesn't make as much sense these days where instruction is widely available. If you just look at the level of climbing teenagers achieve these days, I believe you'll agree that it could not be reached by just going out there and doing it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...