UKC

Very stiff lower calf/achilles area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ferret 14 Aug 2014
Any thoughts on relieving calf stiffness?

Seems to affect the very bottom of calf muscles and Achilles - definitely not the higher, muscly area. In one foot I also get a bit of a 'tingly' type feel through the back of the ankle/Achilles area if I bend/stretch in a certain way.

Neither problem causes any great issues... have just completed Lakeland 50 and had both for months in training and now coming out the other side. I do what I consider the normal stretches for the area but just don't seem to be able to loosen up consistently for any length of time.

No huge issue, just means I'm hobbling down the stairs for my coffee each morning and then gradually improve through day or properly improve once I've been out running.

Is this just unavoidable side affect or can I do more? Is the stiffness the same issue as the odd tingly/twanged/pulled tendon type feeling or is that a different and possibly more worrying issue?

Thanks
 StefanB 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:
Sounds like a tight soleus muscle, but a physio will know more than me. This can can cause all sorts of issues, from Achilles to plantar fascitis. In general ignoring early morning pain which improves during the day is a bad idea, as things usually get worse.

I would try to loosen up the muscles through massage. The whole leg, not just the calf. A descent sport massage is best, but regular sessions can be expensive. A foam roller is also meant to be really good, but I generally don't have the patience / discipline and prefer to see a massage practitioner (having paid is a great motivator to suffer through the pain).
Post edited at 10:28
Ferret 14 Aug 2014
In reply to StefanB: Thanks Steff - that's pointed me in the right direction for some better targeted stretches. Know what you mean on massage, I'm dreadful at doing stretches and rollering myself but always feel guilty when the person working me over does their bit then earnestly explains all the ways I can do it myself and not have to pay them to do it in future!

Will work on that and see how I get on.
 Al Evans 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

If you can't get a decent sports massage, try one of those from the massage parlour, you know the ones with the girls in high heels and plastic bikinis. Might not cure it but you could end up feeling a whole lot better
 StefanB 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I wouldn't know Al, but I doubt that would be any cheaper
 Mr Fuller 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:
I know exactly the pain you mean and the one stretch that nailed it better than any other for me was to stick some trainers on, put your foot up against a step of a stair and bend at the toe so the tread of the shoe goes up the rise of the step and then along the ground (I hope that makes sense!). Then, lean forward at the knee. This shows what I mean, but do it on a staircase so your knee doesn't hit the wall! http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/b4/7a/83/b47a83707cf92fed99d0e54f6ad...

Other thing is massage. You can do it yourself and it's hardly rocket science, and I find using a golf ball helps get the pressure high enough to make a big difference without wrecking your hands.
Post edited at 12:26
Ferret 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller: Nice one thanks - Steph kindly naming the correct muscle area pointed me at that plus a bent knee version of the standard runners calf stretch so I did both half way through and at end of todays lunchtime run and will persist a while. Feels like its targeting the right area which is a big improvement on where I was before.

As for the assorted massage suggestions - there are many establishments in Edinburgh where one needs to be cautious about limping in and asking for your stiff bits to be given a good rub.....
 Chris L Hill 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

I had something similar earlier this year. I basically ignored it for a while, but it juts gradually grew worse. I've now been fine for about 3 months (& running upto 6 days a week ~ 40 miles). I just started stretching properly (soleus and calves, hamstrings etc.) and doing some heel lifts and drops on the stairs - in a controlled fashion of course.... Not promising it will work, but the symptoms sound very similar to mine.
 wbo 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

All the above - stretching, massage, check your shoes and think about your training. Cold water baths are alarmingly effective too - I recall standing in a stream in Colorado in January after every run to keep this at bay. More practically you can try a shower attachment in the bath.

It's good to differentiate here between a specific 'injury' and just very tired legs
Ferret 21 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo:

Thank you all.

I'm pretty sure (having been pointed at it) that its the Soleus as I wasn't really aware of that vs 'normal' calf stretches. I'm targeting that for now and will see how it goes but it is definitely a bit easier already. Shoes I'm OK on (I think) - I alternate 4 pairs or different makes and types depending on what I'm doing and where I'm running from and have carbon orthotics to correct over pronation (checked recently to ensure prescription still OK).

I'm just a bit of a newbie WRT to running and stretching plus have pushed mileage up a lot this year.
 r0b 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

Good info on self treatment here: http://athletestreatingathletes.com/body-map/calf/
Ferret 22 Aug 2014
In reply to r0b:

Thanks! That looks fantastic. Will be spending a good while going through that site I think.
 the abmmc 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

Everybody has given good advice. Only thing I would add is that when I had this and saw a physio, the problem was coming from my lower back and that needed stretched out. If your own homework doesn't work, go to a good sports physio. If you're like me you'll spend £100s a year keeping your car maintained, us Brits just aren't very good at having the same attitude towards our bodies. Good luck. Tom
 Banned User 77 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

What Steff says, could be anything along the back chain so see a physio, and for now just start stretching.. nothing excessive but light stretching won't hurt.

But could be anywhere from feet to glutes.. I had PF related to tight calts and weak gluteus..
 Loughan 23 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> What Steff says, could be anything along the back chain so see a physio, and for now just start stretching.. nothing excessive but light stretching won't hurt.

> But could be anywhere from feet to glutes.. I had PF related to tight calts and weak gluteus..

Agreed, I started off with an IBT issue and by the end of physio, rolling and stretching I'd cleared up some niggling lower back pain and loosened off my hips / thighs making strides feel much more free.

When I stretch and roll I always do the whole system but target anything that might have been causing me issue. Just wish I'd been doing this 10 years ago!
altirando 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Ferret:

Just could be phlebitous (if I have spelt that properly), a problem with the arteries.... I had to have some gel to massage in when my calf muscle seemed to stiffen up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...