UKC

Letting (Stuff) Go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Aug 2014
I have thousands of slides in cupboards, folders, trays and little yellow boxes stashed in various places around the pad. Since digital arrived (10+ years ago now?) I have rarely looked at any of them and have been chewing over the idea of chucking the lot (well most of them) away.

So I picked a random box (California 1987) and a random slide - it was me an Parky on top of Half Dome having just done the NW Face Regular Route in 10.5 hours. The memories came thundering back down the years - maybe I'll hang onto them just a little longer!

Chris
 buzby 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs: im in the middle of uploading all my old prints and family photos some going back 3 generations onto flikr.
once I've got them all done and I reckon there is over 2 thousand then im going to send my kids the link for looking at them.
great thing about doing it in a cloud storage is that folk can get to see pictures which would otherwise never see the light of day .
 Bobling 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Yup digitise them! I've done some slides and negatives recently and tho a pain in the giraffe at first you get through them once you get the hang of it, then presto you can free up the space and get to keep the photos. Alternatively you can pay some other poor b*gger to do it for you.
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Yup digitise them!

And then Tag them with as many descriptive words as possible. Also use some face recognition software to put names to faces.

This all takes months or even years to do but its worth it. Rather than having to guess which box or year something was taken, all you have to do is throw in a few descriptive words and hundreds of images that you have forgotten about pop up to share or create improve sideshows.
J1234 17 Aug 2014

Scrap them, use the time making more memories
Jim C 17 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Scrap them, use the time making more memories

What about his children and granchildren ?

I have all too few treasured photos of my father and less of my grandfather and beyond.

By all means make more memories, but don't deny the pleasure for future generations.

I found out that my father had a large cine collection,(of our family including himself, that was dumped by a thoughtless member of the family because THEY had no thought for anyone but themselves , and what interested them.

Keep them, and treasure them I say, and pass them down the generations.

icnoble 17 Aug 2014

I have just spent the last few weeks digitising my Fathers photographs, both prints and slides, some going ti the beginning to the late 1800's. I used am Epson V500 scanner. I am glad I did, many memories rekindled.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> What about his children and granchildren ?

> Keep them, and treasure them I say, and pass them down the generations.

No kids here - another reason for letting them go then!

Chris

Can anyone recommend a good reasonable priced scanner for slides please? Like Chris C I have loads of slides which I want to transfer to digital format.
 Fraser 17 Aug 2014

I'll gladly chuck away most things, but photos, of whatever format, I simply won't.
 Robert Durran 17 Aug 2014

If my house was burning down, the first thing I would rescue would be my slide collection (I keep a back up of my digital photos elsewhere). I have scans of some, but the quality is never going to match the slides.
Jim C 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Christheclimber:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Can anyone recommend a good reasonable priced scanner for slides please? Like Chris C I have loads of slides which I want to transfer to digital format.

Jings! You remnded me, I picked up a slide scanner at a Car Boot sale at St Andrews recently, I must give it a go, but I don't think it was a branded item, must check it out sometime.

Most of the slides will be of me and my wife in the 70's so should be a good laugh.
( I have 3 kids and a grandughter who will all enjoy looking at a 19070's Gran/Dad/Grandad for a few decades more) .

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> ( I have 3 kids and a grandughter who will all enjoy looking at a 19070's Gran/Dad/Grandad for a few decades more) .

I'm not sure about that really - they are your memories, not their's?

Chris

icnoble 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Christheclimber:
I used an Epson V500. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfection-Scanner-ReadyScan-Technology/dp/B0...

It will never match the dedicated Nikon and Canon slide scanners, but I was very pleased with the result, certainly good value for money.

You can scan 4 35mm mounted slides in one go with a time of about 3-4 mins
Post edited at 23:25
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to Christheclimber) I used an Epson V500. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfection-Scanner-ReadyScan-Technology/dp/B0...

Cheers for the link, it looks good to me at a reasonable price.

BlownAway 19 Aug 2014
In reply to icnoble:
Hi

I have an Epson Perfection V700 that scans slides, negs and prints and it works fantastically well. Better in fact than my other scanner which was a Nikon Super Coolscan.

I actually ended up getting rid of the Nikon because the Epson's results were so good - and most of the photos in Peak Rock were scanned on the Epson rather than the Nikon.

Phil
Post edited at 11:48
Jim C 19 Aug 2014
> (In reply to Jim C)
>
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure about that really - they are your memories, not their's?
>
>
> Chris

You underestimate the hours of fun they have poking fun at our hairstyles and fashion sense

But generally I agree photos of places, or things that do not have a family member in them, are not so interesting and can probably be cleared out periodically, but when you are into Geneology then family photographs and photos of adventures thereof become interesting.

Just because the individual concerned may not be interested themselves ,by destroying family photographs they prevent the future generations(who might well be interested) from seeing them.

So I say, leave a family archive for furture generations to find and enjoy.

Offwidth 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Sure but on balance maybe its better to leave a digital archive than have to put up with all those boxes.
 Flinticus 19 Aug 2014

To be honest, they sound worth keeping. As long as you don't spend afternoons flipping through them and weeping for lost youth etc

As someone said, make new memories. But you can also keep the old ones too. Its not one or the other.
Ste Brom 19 Aug 2014

Keep em, you might turn into...

http://www.vivianmaier.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...