UKC

Log thrown off high tor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brannock 16 Aug 2014
Just a quick word of warning.

There was a log c2 meters long, 20 to 30 cm diameter thrown off the top of high tor today, right above the debauchary/delicatessen belay ledge. Close enough to graze my leg on the belay. We shouted up, however considering how windy it was doubt they would have heard. Hate to dramatise it, but half a meter to the left and I'd either have a great story about how strong orange petzl helmets are, or wouldn't be posting this.

There's also a cigarette packet with a couple of needles in on the track at the base of the crag.

Don't want to put people off going because it's a great crag, but be aware.

Brannock
 Otis 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Brannock:

What complete and utter morons. Glad you and your partner came to no harm.
 Ally Smith 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Brannock:

Worth reporting this sort of behaviour to the local constabulary; like you say, half a metre and we'd be talking about a manslaughter charge!
 sbc23 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Brannock:

Just a thought : if you see some needles in a public place, please do all you can to dispose of them.

I've seen the chaos created when a 4 year old girl picks one up and stabs herself (it was hidden behind a hand basin in a new flat - fortunately she was fine, but they had to stick a lot more needles in her to make sure/find out).

You might not have created the problem and fair play for pointing it out, but you can fix it. Empty, transparent drinks bottle is ideal to transport it to somewhere safe.

Steve
 john arran 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Brannock:

If the local copse are stumped then special branch wood be happy to log it and may even twig who the planks are that did it.
 1234None 17 Aug 2014
In reply to john arran:

Very good!
 ewar woowar 17 Aug 2014
In reply to john arran:

> If the local copse are stumped then special branch wood be happy to log it and may even twig who the planks are that did it.

They are more likely to be barking up the wrong tree!

To the OP

That's really nasty.

You should report it to both the Old Bill and the land owners.
 Otis 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Brannock:

With regards the needles, most local councils will send a team out to clear them up (generally within an hour or two) if you give them a call and tell them the location.

Mike.
OP Brannock 17 Aug 2014
In reply to john arran:

> If the local copse are stumped then special branch wood be happy to log it and may even twig who the planks are that did it.

Very good

I've informed Derbyshire dales council who seem to be the landowner,if I hear anything back I'll post up

Brannock
In reply to Brannock:

I remember a few years ago, finishing up Debauchery when a full lager can (judging by the noise on landing) whistled past. Being a total coward, on topping out I did nothing more confrontational than look vaguely baleful at the large group of "yoofs" smoking and drinking before setting up my belay (figured that my second would be more than a little perturbed if the next thing that came over the edge was me).
In reply to john arran:

Excellent!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...