UKC

Europe sport climbing with quick easy access from an airport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Murg 18 Aug 2014
Can anyone suggest the best place for Sport climbing in europe with easy access. Looking to go for a week in early september. Many Thanks
 Iain Peters 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

There's been a lot of development around Athens and a new guidebook may be available.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=573292
Andy Gamisou 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Athens guide is available, and is excellent. Crags start appearing as little as 25 mins drive from the airport. Early Sept will probably be a bit hot though.
 earlsdonwhu 18 Aug 2014
In reply to AndrewW:
Sicily. Not long to San Vito.

Iain Peters 18 Aug 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

True about the heat but it's been a funny old summer weather and temperature wise in Greece, and I believe there are shady sectors depending on time of day. I've often climbed at Varasova, near Mesalonghi on very hot days, climbing on the W face in the early morning, long siesta or beach and more cragging in the cool of the evening on the E face.
 MNA123 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

Fly to reus then your almost at mussara, siurana, falco etc. Ryanair did have some very cheap flights on to reus in September when I looked a few months ago.
 full stottie 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

If you mean easy access from an airport -

Cote d'Azur. Plenty to go at close to Nice - La Turbie, etc. See Rockfax guide for map:

http://www.rockfax.com/book-previews/france-cote-dazur-intro/#/26/zoomed

If you can fly to Marseille, also plenty options nearby. But it will be warm, probably.

Costa Blanca would give you the option of some higher altitude crags where you can escape any September heat.

Paklenica offers shaded options and might be less hot than Cote d'Azur, and very easy access to the climbing but I wouldn't say its that easy to get to the area unless you can fly to Zadar.

Dave
 jimtitt 18 Aug 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Sicily. Not long to San Vito.

And generally hot at that time. The Frankenjura is cooler and about 20 mins from Nuremburg airport or 2 hours from Munich.
 JuneBob 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

You can walk to Hell from Trondheim airport. Adam Ondra has climbed there so it's ok!
Might be soaking wet though
 Enty 19 Aug 2014
In reply to full stottie:

>

> If you can fly to Marseille, also plenty options nearby. But it will be warm, probably.

>

Average temperatures down here since Spring have probably been 5° - 10° lower than normal so don't be put off.
I'll let you know if the Indian summer we're all praying for arrives - it's been comparatively shit this year.

Flying into Nimes, just over an hour drive to the East and you have all the crags around The Dentelles and Buis Les Baronnies.
Then to the North West you have Claret and Seynes.
Marseille airport is only 1h30 away.

E
 Iain Peters 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

Same story in Greece. Strong winds and lower temperatures with rain in July, almost unheard of!
 eltankos 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

Tenerife perhaps?
 neilh 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:
Frogsmouth is not far from Liverpool Airport.15 mins or so. LOL.
In reply to Murg:

Alicante. Loads around there.
 Kemics 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

Verdon? Easy access from nice and cheap flights
 Simon Alden 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg: Malta and Gozo of course. Main crags on Malta are 5minutes drive from the airport.
 GrahamD 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

Not clear whether you mean easy access with or without hire car ? with hire car anywhere in Europe is pretty easy. Without, I'm not sure of the best options I'm afraid
 john arran 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Murg:

Takes about 1hr 15mins from Toulouse (Easyjet) or Carcassonne (Ryanair) airports to get to our nearby town of Tarascon-sur-Ariège. Once here you have more climbs, styles and rock types than you could ever want for much more than a week.
Hi,

Early September may be prime time for my favourite climbing area... Orco Valley

Access without a car is not impossible (Italian public transport is never impossible... it's just extremely complicated). Here you have timetables (take as rough guide only, here bus drivers leave when they like, e.g. finished their sandwich) for buses from Torino to Ceresole Reale: http://www.gtt.to.it/cgi-bin/extraurbana.cgi (click on orario) My Orcobeta blog with general info here: http://tiralazanka.blogspot.it/2014/08/orcobeta.html

Going from Torino's Airport to Torino and navigating in Torino is the hardest bit. If you do take Orco's option seriously, drop me a line and I'll do my best to give you directions.

Good luck!

Nic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...