UKC

Tough Mudder training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 20 Aug 2014
Been roped into signing up to do Tough Mudder in 6 weeks time. I currently am only running 5k once a week (have done a few half marathons though, but not run any real distance for about a year)and climb at a low is level.
What is the best training to get fit for Tough Mudder in this time?
Simos 20 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Pray
 ianstevens 20 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Not done it myself, but based on the experience of others, a lot more running than you're doing at the minute.

Plus roll about in some filth, so you feel at home whilst doing it!
 Firestarter 20 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Go on to the TM web - they have training schedules designed for different mudder levels. Good luck -it's bloody good fun (about two weeks after the event....)
 felixizzy 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I did it earlier this year. I started training about 2 and a half months before. My training consisted of running & climbing and not a lot else. Got to a point where I was able to run about 10 miles off road without much of a break... you get loads in tough mudder with ques for obsticles. And climb as much as possible, upper boy strength is pretty damn handy. It was hard but not quite as hard as I was expecting. Hope this helps.
OP DreadyCraig 21 Aug 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Do I have to grow a beard to shave it off?
 Ander 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I'm not entirely convinced that running is what will get your round. However, if a 5k once a week is the only phys you do, then that possibly won't be enough.

Think about the demands of the tough mudder. You'll jog from obstacle to obstacle, stand in a queue and then do a few minutes with high intensity using a variety of stregth/agility/balance/however you want. Running won't particularly help you with the

So, you'll need a reasonable base of fitness. This is not particularly indicated by running 5k once a week- but I assume you climb/ perhaps cycle or walk to work/ whatever. Your history of running a couple of half marathons is encouraging- that indicates your base fitness is a little higher.

From where you are now, I'd probably JOG 5k-8k 2 or 3 times a week, preferably off road. You can build this up a bit over the next month or so.

You could get some climbing in- it'll be good for overall conditioning.

Do some 'agility' training- like jumping over things, walking along walls, etc. Take care doing these, but I think it will pay off. Perhaps you could mix this in with a few sprints, press ups, sit ups, star jumps, pull ups/ whatever. Do this maybe once or twice a week. Aim to make the overall session about 25-30 mins.

If you'd done lots of training, I'd recommend a significant 'taper' towards the event. In your case, I'd probably say stop training the middle of the week (tuesday or wednesday) before the event. Rest up, let any niggles, etc. recover. This will ensure you're fresh for the day of the race.
 kingjam 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Personally think you need to up your running it will train your body and just importantly mind . Then focus on core strength as you will need to do a lot of different obstacles that need different techniques.

jkarran 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

If you're not going for a particular time, you're willing to suffer you'll get round, if you want to go faster get fitter.

jk
 kathrync 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Although the course is 12 miles, you get a lot of breaks while you queue for obstacles and there are some extended sections where it's just too slippery to run properly anyway. I wouldn't worry about being able to run the distance in one go or in a particularly fast time.

In my experience, the obstacles themselves are mostly scary rather than physically difficult, although there are a couple of exceptions. If you climb a little bit at a low level and don't get psyched out you will be fine. The main thing is the endurance to get round.

If it helps, when I did the Scottish one in May, one of the members of my team had never run for more than 22 mins before. Consequently, we walked most of it (and I got really cold!) but we all got round.
 edunn 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Run round a football pitch, jog a long side, sprint from the corner flag to the goal, do five pull ups on the cross bar, crawl to the corner flag, jog the second long side, crawl to the goal, five press ups, sprint to the corner flag. repeat five times, then jog home. Do that twice a week.
 nw 21 Aug 2014
In reply to kathrync:

Yeah exactly, they overhype the difficulty somewhat because they want it to be a popular event that most people are successful at. As said above, be willing to suffer and you'll be fine.
 Neil Williams 21 Aug 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I've not done a Tough Mudder but I have done something similar, and because it's very stop-start it isn't really distance running that you need to be good at, more all-round fitness and tolerance for discomfort.

If you *could* run 5k 3-4 times a week if you decided to do so tomorrow I reckon you'd be fine, TBH.

I generally found the obstacles to be more fun/a bit scary/uncomfortable than genuinely hard, except 8ft fences which are generally done as a team thing anyway (many climbers will have an advantage here!)

Neil
Post edited at 11:08
 Neil Williams 21 Aug 2014
In reply to jkarran:

I think TM isn't timed (unlike most of the other events)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...