UKC

tow bar mounted bike racks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyWright 21 Aug 2014

I've got me a new car with tow bar... Looking for a bike rack that can take 3 bikes, is secure, will allow access to the boot and won't cost £400! Any suggestions???
Post edited at 22:10
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

Thule Rideon3 - although you may need to check about access to the boot as I think access is restricted on some vehicles.
 tjin 22 Aug 2014
In reply to ebygomm:

First check how much weight you are allowed to put on the tow bar. 3 bikes + bike carrier is pushing the limited on most cars.

I would take the following considerations:
- Do you want a 2 bike bike rack + 1 attachment (less length when you have less bikes on it) or 3 bike arrangement all the time
- Buy one with a 13 prong plug,more future proof and has fog lights (mandatory in some countries)
- Buy one with a light bar which is wide enough (adjustable is a plus) for the bikes and vehicle.
- Buy one with the tilt lever (to tilt the carrier to access the trunk), to be step pedal at the rear. Not a stupid lever at the tow bar (try putting you arms through a row of three bikes and holding the bikes back at the same time).
- Make sure when the bike carrier is tilted, it won't hit the ground. A 3 bike bike rack is pretty long...
- Buy one with locks on the bike clamps and the tow bar release.

I would consider the following:
- Westfalia BC60 with 3rd bike attachment
- Uebler X31S
- Thule euroride series
- Thule euroway series
In reply to KennyWright:

I have a Maxxis going spare. These are almost £200 new. £70. Carries three or four bikes. Where are you based?
 andy 22 Aug 2014
In reply to tjin:
Agree with all the above, but would really recommend you look at the Atera racks - German, so well screwed together, a really clever slidy thing so you can get access to the boot and also light and small enough to pop in the boot when you're off riding. I think roofbox.co.uk sell them, and they reckon they're better than Thule (which they also sell, so they're not biased to their own stock).
 starbug 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:
Another vote for the thule bike carriers used one for several years without issue. Although they don't meet your £££'s limit they are worth the money.

As has been pointed out Check the Static Vertical Load (S Value) or noseweight this is the downward force (or weight)of the coupling head
on a car’s towball.

Take the following example 3x Specialized Hardrock at 14 kg and a Thule EuroClassic G6 928 at 17kg and you are at or over the limit of most small cars.

For example a MAZDA 232 at 50kg. Most mid range cars average out in the 60 to 80kg range (Nissan Qashqai 75kg)
Larger vehicles and 4x4 are usually higher Mercedes E-Class Estate at 84kg and JEEP GC at 140KG.
Post edited at 09:52
 BazVee 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

I've had a Thule one for just over 8 years now (don't think the same model is available any longer though) and its been great.

With tow bar racks I do however believe security is an issue as given its position hidden behind the car and at a low level easier for a thief to work on and probably unobserved too. One mate had his bike taken from his tow bar rack despite it being locked to the rack with 3 cable style locks, that says you need something better than cable locks. Although I do use a cable lock, If I have three bikes on the rack when I stop somewhere where I am leaving the car for a while I tend use an old Abus motorcycle lock and a U lock between the bikes, the only issue is I have to remove them before driving off as they tend to damage the paint work on the bike frames. I work on the simple principal that 3 locks of differing types may require a collection of tools/delay their removal and hopefully those less honest will move onto an easier target.

Oh the mate who had the bike stolen, he now pops off the front wheel and puts it in his boot!!
 cousin nick 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

I have a Thule 2-bike rack (can't remember which model). I use it on my Berlingo van tow hitch. If using a tow ball rack on a van or estate car, its worth checking that there is enough clearance for handlebars between the back of the vehicle and the first bike on the rack - particularly with the current trend for v wide MTB bars.
Tow ball racks are great for carrying v muddy MTBs back home

N
 wilkesley 22 Aug 2014
In reply to cousin nick:

I too have a Thule 3 bike rack that I have had about 8 years. It does have a tile feature, so you can open the boot/tailgate. Good point about checking the handlebar clearance, as my hybrid only just fits. However, it's usually pretty easy to rotate handlebars if you need to.

Mine cost about £80 in a Halford's sale. I think the full price was around £120 at the time.
 Beano 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

Agreed Thule are excellent I've got the Euroway 921 I think it is and both bikes are stable and solid on the back and tilts back with ease to get into the boot ..
In reply to KennyWright:

Sorry, mine's a Maxxraxx. Strong, steel, in built security and hinges down for boot access. Don't like the Thule stuff - very light, very plastic and fragile.
 BazVee 22 Aug 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

> Sorry, mine's a Maxxraxx. Strong, steel, in built security and hinges down for boot access. Don't like the Thule stuff - very light, very plastic and fragile.

sounds like Thule have changed in the 8 years since I bought mine. My euroclassic is very heavy, loads of steel and pretty unbreakable! Just goes to show worth looking at things before you buy, especially online.
 wilkesley 22 Aug 2014
In reply to BazVee:
> (In reply to unclesamsauntibess)
>
> [...]
>
> sounds like Thule have changed in the 8 years since I bought mine. My euroclassic is very heavy, loads of steel and pretty unbreakable! Just goes to show worth looking at things before you buy, especially online.

Mine is well made too, with loads of metal. It has been on numerous trips to Ireland and Scotland without any problems. Of course I realize that last statement means that it will break on the next trip!

John2 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

I've got a Pendle rack http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/ . It's really solid - cheaper than Thule I think.
OP KennyWright 22 Aug 2014

I'm in Inverness, where are you?
In reply to Orgsm:

looks good, is the tilt mechanism easy to use? Can you access the boot if it is tilted with bikes on or do you have to remove the bikes?
In reply to John2:

> I've got a Pendle rack http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/ . It's really solid - cheaper than Thule I think.

I am a bit baffled by the choices so I might give these guys a call to discuss. I like the idea of buying British; I wonder what this will cost in Scottish Drachma after September?
 Brass Nipples 22 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

Yes you can access boot with it tilted, you need to lean over bikes from side but fine for getting stuff in and out.
 stewart murray 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Also got a Buzzrack. Good design. Problem I've had is that the treads on the clamp bolts are very fine and strip easily. Replacements available from roof box .co . uk though.
 FrankBooth 26 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:
I use a Maxxraxx - they're a small British company with excellent service. The design is pretty unique in that the retaining unit slots behind the actual towbar's 'ball' - this leaves it free to still attach a trailer or caravan (!)
A couple of weeks ago we drove to the middle of France with four bikes using it - thoroughly recommended.
altirando 26 Aug 2014
In reply to KennyWright:

Saris racks always look so much more streamlined and better designed, but I don't know if this is true in actual use.
OP KennyWright 03 Sep 2014

> Sorry, mine's a Maxxraxx. Strong, steel, in built security and hinges down for boot access. Don't like the Thule stuff - very light, very plastic and fragile.

The Maxxraxx don't look very stable. does the lightboard hang from the back of the rack? Is that a good design?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...