UKC

What wood to use for fingerboard mounting board

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Davies 24 Aug 2014
Want to mount a Beastmaker fingerboard above a doorway in my new flat. Concrete wall above. Going to mount a wooden board above using hammer screws to attach board to concrete. Then will screw beastmaker into mounting board.

Question 1: what wood should I use for the mounting board? I know climbing walls use plywood, but from doing a little research MDF sounds pretty strong, and is cheaper.

Question 2: what thickness mounting board do I need? MDF/ply come in 18mm boards, so could either use that or glue/screw two together to make 36mm mounting board. The issue is having it thick enough to screw the beastmaker onto without the screws poking out the back (won't be able to as concrete wall behind.

I'm sure this has been asked in lots of places before but in googling couldn't find it - be grateful for any advice! M
 jkarran 24 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin Davies:

Are you sure it's concrete? That'd be a fairly unusual material to have above a door except as a lintel. If it's a lintel I'd avoid drilling/screwing into it, there'll be re-bar in there which you don't want to hit/compromise/expose.

Why not screw the finger board straight to the wall?

Simple answer to your question: Plywood, 18mm, simple and hard to get wrong.

I'd put wallplugs in and fix it direct.

jk
 And Climb 24 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin Davies:

I've mounted my beastmaker on 12mm ply. Don't use mdf, its shit.
OP Martin Davies 24 Aug 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Definitely concrete, definitely unusual. Basement room, opposite doorway frame is plaster board with studs. Want to mount a board as chances of getting 8 screw holes exactly in position in concrete to mount fingerboard direct = unlikely. Once board up can mount fingerboard much more easily, and extra holds etc without messing up original wall.
OP Martin Davies 24 Aug 2014
In reply to And Climb:

Great, think I'll get some 18mm ply tomorrow, let the drilling commence!
 james1978 24 Aug 2014
In reply to Martin Davies: I use a section of offcut chipboard for my beastmaker and haven't had a problem.
OP Martin Davies 27 Aug 2014
In reply to james1978:

For anyone who's interested (probably no one) ended up using 25mm ply, hammer screws to attach board to brick/concrete wall (9 screws, 3 at each side and 3 in middle) then screwed Beastmaker onto that. No movement at the moment, hope it stays that way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...