UKC

Lakes - family friendly bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beardyman 26 Aug 2014

Hey peeps,

I'm thinking about going on a wee weekend camping trip somewhere in the lakes with the Mrs and a 5yr old. Any good suggestions of a nice relaxed family friendly bouldering venue and maybe a good campsite. A short walk in and a place a 5 year old can run about without us having to worry too much about her damaging herself!

Was looking at the campsite at Eskdale Fisherground and nearby boulders but open to suggestions.

A good campsite would be nice too, don't mind paying a bit more to get somewhere decent. Maybe a good playpark and a pub nearby!

Thanks muchly
Post edited at 19:02
 dsgarner 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

I have been to the Honister Boulders earlier in the year. The boulders are road side, just have to cross a small stream (plenty of easy crossing points). There was a couple with their young kids when we were there, they bought a cobb bbq with them and made a bit of a thing of it.
 tombeasley 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

Hi, we stayed at low-bray campsite just outside Ambleside a few weeks ago, fairly central and close to lots of bouldering Langdale etc. Went to the Bowderstone with the mrs & 20 month old, it is great, safe and has great bouldering.

Have a good trip!

Tom
 johang 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

The Fisherground campsite looks pretty good for families. I've never stayed there, but with family friend who live near Boot, I have wandered past/through plenty of times. There's a Caravan Club site up near Boot as well, also looks pleasant. No further than 20 mins walk to the nearest pub from either (George iv and Boot Inn respectively).

Fisherground is a good family spot, as are the Heron stones further up the valley (park near Brotherilkeld just before Hardknott). Lovely spot with plunge pools close by. A little bit of a walk, probably half an hour(ish).

The Langdale circuit may be worth a look, and the Honister boulders as already mentioned. Also Badger Rock/Little Font in Kentmere, Sour Milk Ghyll Boulders down Borrowdale or Carrock Fell depending on how the bracken is looking (I haven't been to Carrock for a few months now).I also believe Dunnerdale has some bits and pieces and it's a very family friendly valley with a short drive from Eskdale Green.

It really depends on where you end up staying, as it can be a long travel between valleys which are only a few miles apart as the crow flies.

Hope that helps a bit. I'd check out Lakesbloc for really in-depth information.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...