UKC

8 weeks to go and I've broken my toe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afshapes 28 Aug 2014
So its 8 weeks to go for the snowdon marathon and I've broken my toe. Been training since January and hoped for a reasonable time. This is my first marathon so am I out of the running?
 The Potato 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

Id say keep going! Which toe is it btw? Id tape it up so it doesnt bend but not too tight as toes / feet swell when running, then go for a short run and see how it is, adjust the tape etc. Should be ok its only a toe!
 balmybaldwin 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

8 weeks is normally enough time for a small break to mend
 Ava Adore 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

How frustrating. Lower your expectations now - that you finish in a REASONABLE time. And then hopefully you'll exceed them. Good luck.
 The New NickB 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

It really depends where you are with your training. I suspect you could be running again in 4-5 weeks, but that 4-5 would ordinarily be peak training period.

If you are up to 20 miles + on your long run you can probably maintain at least some of your fitness x-training, but you really need to have that mileage in your legs, you cannot make up for it in the last month before the marathon. If you have done the long miles, a couple of long runs before you start to reduce mileage might do it. I would shorten the taper, you will have been resting too much in the weeks prior, but also run some faster races such as 10ks in the few weeks before the marathon.

What would you consider a reasonable time? As it is a first marathon, I would take a few more chances, as it gives you something to aim to beat next time, but you don't want it to be a total soul destroying experience.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> 8 weeks is normally enough time for a small break to mend

The missed training is the issue.
 Trangia 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

Which toe? I broke my little toe a couple of years ago but although walking was agony, I could still climb within a few days because the tight rock shoes held it firm. However it reverted to agony as soon as I took the rock shoes off.

I strapped it to the next toe which helped. It took about 8 weeks to really heal.
 balmybaldwin 28 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I know its not the same, but substitute in some cycling, swimming and specific gym work whilst allowing it to heal? Better that than agravating the injury to the point where you cant take part
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Don't...

I broke my little toe and carried on.. Just back off cycle swim for 3-4 weeks.. The little toe heals very slowly and is used for balance...

Back off ASAP... I ran through it slowly and finally backed off...
 krikoman 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

8 weeks to go and I've broken my toe,

Oh! my god! What a terrible blow.
OP afshapes 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

Thanks for all the replies. It's my middle toe. Have been running 4 to 5 times each week with a long er run on the weekend when I can. Got up to 14.5 miles so bit concerned I'm not going to build up the miles. I wanted a sub four time but now I guess I'd settle for finishing it. Managed to climb using bigger shoes but after 15 routes it was hurting and swelled the following day. Got it taped to its neighbour now and will be resting for a week. Thing is its been av week since my last run already and I can feel the fitness leaving me (probably in my head I know)
 The Potato 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

if youve been training since january and have only got up to 14.5 miles, its not really looking good for a marathon.
OP afshapes 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

Well I wanted to get a good base fitness and my plan was then to follow the sixteen week marathon plan b suggested on the snowdon marathon website. Being a parent and working doesn't always allow me the time to stick to it religiously. But each week I do Hill sessions. .. Speed sessions and 8 to ten km runs in my lunch breaks. My last long run at 14.5 miles I was averaging 7.30 minute miles
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I know its not the same, but substitute in some cycling, swimming and specific gym work whilst allowing it to heal? Better that than agravating the injury to the point where you cant take part

It really isn't the same, especially for marathon running where the body needs to be conditioned. If the OP can't run without pain in 3-4 weeks there is no point doing the marathon.
 spearing05 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:
You have to run it mate and in 3:30 or less else I'll feel so guilty I'll never climb with you again.

And thanks again for the catch
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2014
In reply to afshapes:

Isn't it 10 weeks? Well just over 9?

I think 3 weeks out then you could be ok.. 4-5 doubtful
 Banned User 77 29 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

just realised its actually 6 weeks til chicago….

not good..

so yeah 8 weeks til eryri...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...