UKC

Why go running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RockAngel 03 Sep 2014
Why do I go running? (Or in my case intervals with jogging). I don't actually enjoy it. I've had to start the c25k program again due to being lazy & then followed by a sprained ankle and then a knee injury. I get cramp in both my calves while out for my torture run. I am breathing better with it, I just want to not get cramp
Ste Brom 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

I hate it. Calves are knackered. Have Chester marathon coming up. Considering bailing.
 tony 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Are you sure it's cramp and not some other muscle issue? Calves are notorious for being tight and sore. Try a gentle warm-up and some gentle stretching before the run.
OP RockAngel 03 Sep 2014
In reply to tony:

They do go tight despite some stretches & warm ups. more & targeted warm up stretches needed then
 JamButty 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

I've given up with stretching seems to make no difference to me. I've been injury free now for over 6 months and I put it down to deliberately running slower. I monitor my speed with Runkeeper and if I find I'm going too fast, I'll slow down.
Lots more off road as well, which gives me an excuse to walk a bit if needed.
Had a lovely morning run yesterday!
 yorkshireman 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

> Why do I go running? (Or in my case intervals with jogging). I don't actually enjoy it.

Everyone has different motivation I guess. I love it but I'm lucky to have lots of trails and mountains on my doorstep and an enthusiastic border collie - I think things might be different if I was still living in London.

Are you just trying to get fit? Try something else you like rather than running. Do you have trails nearby? Offroad is so much more fun. You list hillwalking as an interest on your profile, why not try interspersing a few running segments during your next hike (doesn't matter how fast).

If you're sticking with the running I think it helps to log what you're doing - then you can see if you are improving (you inevitably will if you put the effort in) which should give you a bit more motivation.

There's no shortcut - you have to give your body time to adapt - but as mentioned with the calves you really might benefit from some stretching as tight calves can cause problems elsewhere. Most people stretch by dropping the heels which only stretches the big muscle, but the soleus needs it too - so try putting your toes against a wall with your feet flat on the floor and move your knee as close to the wall as you can until you feel the stretch.
 Ava Adore 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Having also been plagued with injury and having several blocks of time off for running, I can sympathise with you having to start again. In my experience, first running has to become a habit and then once you get used to going out regularly and are fitter, you can then look for nicer places to run, new stretches of road/trail, different routes etc and some of that newness becomes enjoyable.

For your calves, I suffer with problems too. I have discomfort/occasional pain after every single run (except REALLY slow recovery runs). I find that a roller helps as does stretching but that's after the event. No idea what to do to stop cramp happening during the run, I'm afraid.

PontiusPirate 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Controversial idea (from personal experience) - make sure that the tightness in your calves is not actually a referred problem from too tight hamstrings.

PP.
 Ava Adore 03 Sep 2014
In reply to PontiusPirate:

How should I deal with it if it is?
 Tall Clare 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Hello! You sound very familiar to me. I got it into my head that running would be a good thing, then tried (and failed) to complete C25K numerous times over (yes) five years. I've *finally* just about got to the point where I'm enjoying it, it doesn't hurt, etc. It might be worth asking yourself *why* you want to run - for me, it's as much about some sort of pigheadedness as anything else.
OP RockAngel 03 Sep 2014

The pain/tightness is more along the outside of my calves rather than the back. Stretching eases it so it's probably me not warming up properly.

tjin 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

There are a few things I learned while running for the last decade:
- Doing some muscle strengthening exercises prevents injury's, less problems while running and doesn't really take much time.
- Massage/roll the muscle's to remove tightness and knots.
- Compression sleeves/socks help with longer distances.
- Properly fitted quality shoes are well worth there money.
- Proper socks are worth there money too.
- Build up speed/distance slowly. Overdo things and you will get injured.
OP RockAngel 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

There's some pigheadedness but earlier this year, I lost quite a few inches on my fat belly, arse & legs from running the c25k that no other exercise program seemed to shift it, (Cross trainer, cycling, rowing at the gym didn't shift it). I've been so lazy that all that weight I shifted crept back on (I was working 2 part time jobs too so just fitting time to get out for a run was the challenge)
OP RockAngel 03 Sep 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

Been running along the canal as it's pretty flat & there's not loads of people to see me jogging past. Don't have a car at mo so need flat routes nearby. Tho running downhill is a breeze!

I'm taking it easy. Still on week 1 of the c25k app after 2 weeks due to recovering from injury. My pace is slightly faster than a power walk. Each jog is logged onto FB/twitter & strava app thingy.
I'll give those stretches a go tomorrow morning.
 Ava Adore 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Angel, your pace is irrelevant whilst you are building up fitness and it takes months to do that. Seriously don't worry about how fast you go. In fact, given that you're prone to injury, go slower than you think you should
 JohnO1978 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Personally I dont bother running anymore, I have done several half marathons, marathons and various other running events having ran for quite a long time however I was getting numerous injuries and started looking for an alternative. Now I sick to interval training/HIIT, Tabatas etc and I feel far better and look far better for it too. Most of my workouts are based round, skipping (double unders in particular), burpees, Kettlebell swings and the Concept 2. I now wonder why I wasted so much time running...
 Hat Dude 03 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

I wouldn't say I enjoy the physical act of running but I enjoy being able to do it and completing the modest events I do.

I've had problems with my calves (hopefully in the past!)and something that has seemed to help me has been going for short, 2k, easy runs in the mornings apart from my normal runs 2 or 3 times a week. This seems to keep things ticking over & loose.
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 Sep 2014
In reply to JohnO1978:

Is it not the case that HIIT/Tabatas demand a good fitness base if you want to get the benefit and not get injured?

I find running reguarly is more of a symptom of me being in my healthier mindset and can also be a kickstarter into that mindset. I'm not sure how much fitter/lighter 3 lots of 20mins running a week makes me.
OP RockAngel 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

the injuries were stupid things, not related to running. The ankle, I sprained falling down a grid in Aldi carpark (I only went in for a sandwich), and the knee was doing the washing! Who thought doing the washing would be dangerous! but it is.

PontiusPirate 04 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Ava - sorry - only just looked back on this - I'd recommend getting hold of a decent book on stretching and looking up the hamstring and gluteus stretches.
I'd also strongly recommend only doing these kind of stretches *after* training not before as there's now good evidence that it is less effective that way round and can be detrimental to performance.

As ever concentrate on good form first and foremost (though there's no small irony that my current ankle/heal problems stem from trying to improve my form - running on your toes just doesn't work for me!)

PP.
 Ava Adore 04 Sep 2014

Thanks PP. I have a set of calf, hamstring, glute and quad stretches that I do religiously after every run (never stretch before anyway). My reason for asking was because I do think I have tight hamstrings although it is the back of my calves that get sore. After Every. Single. Run. Sigh... Still, unlike the OP, at least I am able to keep running.
OP RockAngel 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

I am carrying on running, I'm just not enjoying it much & want to get to the point where it is fun and I can relax & take in my surroundings as I trundle around. Will I ever get to that point?
Moley 04 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

It doesn't get any easier! I'm 61 and been running for 30 years (other sports before running), I seem to ache every morning and as I get older the aches and pains become worse. It takes even longer to loosen up on a run. Plus I get slower and find the hills harder and harder - I run like an old donkey.

On the positive side, I'm in my 60's can still knock off 50 miles if I want, love being up on the hills (no road running), serious injury free, nothing worn out, I should be greatfull.

But I frequently wonder how long to put up with the pains of running and accept that hillwalking is better for me, maybe next year!
 Tall Clare 04 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

I told myself I'd carry on until I enjoyed it (out of stubbornness more than anything) and would then review the situation at that stage. I'm now at the point of enjoying-more-than-not-enjoying so those scales are tipping...
 Ava Adore 04 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> Will I ever get to that point?

Unlikely that you will before you reach a base level of fitness. Persevere for AT LEAST three months.

John Lewis 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

I recall being told you have to be fit to run and you have to run to get fit.

RockAngel, I'm two months back and only just starting to feel strength coming back, still much slower than I want to be, but I'm assured that will come if I get strength and stamina back first.

steveriley 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Moley:

I raced offroad on Tuesday, respectable sort of upper mid-packish, got ahead of a couple of people who've been beating me recently. The guy behind me was a V70! Which is kind of amazing and embarrassing at the same time
 yorkshireman 05 Sep 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

> I raced offroad on Tuesday, respectable sort of upper mid-packish, got ahead of a couple of people who've been beating me recently. The guy behind me was a V70! Which is kind of amazing and embarrassing at the same time

I'm racing at Ceuse on Sunday - I need to do a 20 mile long run for my marathon training which I'm finding incredibly boring, and a local off-road race of that distance came up so I've decided to do it just to keep morale up. Its meant to be a slow training run so I'll have resist the temptation to race it.

The V70 guy is amazing, but I think it reflects a lower level of burnout when running off-road than for those that pound the pavement. Somebody just got me Richard Askwith's 'Running Free' which evangelises this point of view (although I don't agree with a lot of his statements).

Fewer injuries, and more inspiring landscape, as well as an environment where timing your self is not so useful (and there not seeing the inevitable age-related decline in pace) all help to keep people running in the hills for longer than you would expect.
Rigid Raider 05 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Why on Earth do people run around when God gave us bicycles?
 Ava Adore 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Why on earth ride around on bicycles when God gave us legs
 Tall Clare 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

For me the best answer to something like this is that each different mode of transport allows us to see different things - for instance, the other day I walked up a lane that I've cycled down numerous times, and ended up seeing things I hadn't noticed before. Through climbing, I've seen things that I wouldn't have seen had I been walking. And so on...
 Ava Adore 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Very true. Since taking up running I've found all sorts of lovely places nearby that I had no idea existed. I take pleasure in following new footpaths and roads I've never been down before. Sometimes the paths are too choked with weeds or the road is dull as ditchwater but sometimes I'm very pleasantly surprised.
 steveriley 05 Sep 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

All true. Mind, there's a bit of self selection going on with - the older guys with problems have probably stopped now. Pete Roberts was still doing a 30 min/5 mile a couple of years ago.

Good luck with the 'not racing' bit - I normally fail on this!
Moley 05 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Over the years I've done a lot of my long training runs as LDWA events, which I would recommend to anyone.
There is no pressure on the day to go at any set speed, regular food and water, sharpens navigational skills (thinking on the run), see new countryside and routes, always meet someone about your speed to chat to, without the need to race them. Cheap to enter.

A very good way to knock off a 25 mile training outing without boredom or need to thrash yourself.

OP RockAngel 06 Sep 2014
In reply to tony:

A lot better run/jog this morning. Did a lot more stretching prior to starting than usual and I actually started to enjoy the running! (Helped by a 6monyh old collie I met with it's energy & doggy smile). I think, after 2 weeks I can actually advance onto week 2 of the program!
 bouldery bits 06 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Why go climbing?
OP RockAngel 06 Sep 2014
In reply to bouldery bits:

Duh! Cos climbing is fun!
 bouldery bits 06 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

So's running!
 wbo 06 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:
There is a book called 'how to be a champion' by the deceased coach Percy Cerutty ( he coached an exceptional group of athletes including Herb Elliott, the best runner of all time). Cerutty was a rum bloke and liked his motivational poetry, including....

If you're weak or just so-so
Don't go running no no no

and
Wind and rain, hail or shine,
Real men run and never whine
 Banned User 77 07 Sep 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

This whole forum should just add 'lets run'..

There its like a really really aggressive UKC.. but it contains great advice. I literally got a job off it..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...