UKC

Accident at Compass Point Bude?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Macca_7 04 Sep 2014
Just wondered if anyone knew what had happened today?

Don't want any details just hope whatever happened and whoever was involved are ok?

Take care people

Macca
OP Macca_7 05 Sep 2014
In reply to bigrob:

Hi Rob

Yeah I saw that this morning that's the news I was really hoping not to hear.

Take care
 Iain Peters 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Sadly, Craig Harwood died in this accident. It appears that he was attempting Caravanserai at Compass Point near Bude, a route that suffered a major rock fall earlier in the year. More details will undoubtedly emerge in due course, but for now my sincere condolences go to his partner Janet and his family.
OP Macca_7 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Sincere condolences to Janet and the family.

Always such a shock to hear news like this.
 danm 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

This is terrible news, Craig was such a nice fellow who gave loads back to climbing. My condolences to Craig's family and friends.
 Jeff Ingman 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Sincere condolences to all dealing with the aftermath of this accident. Craig was a great bloke.......Jeff
 jshields 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Sad news, condolences to all involved.
Jon
 Team BMC 05 Sep 2014
The BMC is deeply saddened to hear of the death of Craig Harwood. Craig was a passionate climber and natural born enthusiast who was closely involved in the work of the BMC and Climbers' Club. He was a rare character in the most positive of ways, he was selfless and always giving to others. Craig was a regular volunteer on our International Meets and current chair of the BMC’s Huts Committee. Craig was also a super keen fell runner. He was a longstanding official of the Climbers’ Club and a member of the Fell & Rock Climbing Club. The climbing community has lost a gem. He will be sorely missed and our condolences are with his family and friends.

Dave Turnbull, BMC CEO
 Chris_Mellor 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Oh .. . that's painful to hear. Caravanserai rockfall was bad news, and now this.
Sympathies to those left behind.
 Sean Kelly 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

OMG! Craig! He was a really safe steady climber, and great fun. So sad. My condolences to his family & friends.
 gribble 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Feeling somewhat stunned. Craig was inspirational and a fantastic person to know. Very warm and very enthusuastic about life. He leaves a hole for all those who knew him. Condolences and best wishes to Janet and family.
In reply to Macca_7:

God, that's pretty horrid news. I didn't know Craig well - we did Clapton's Crack in the rain with a Bulgarian climber on a BMC international meet once - but he seemed like a good man. RIP, and condolences to the family.

jcm
HarryFarnsbarns 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Horrendous news and I still don't want to believe it. Craig had been a very active member of my club Macclesfield Harriers for several years as sometime fell running representative and Chairman. He was always generous to a fault - even took me (an unknown quantity to Craig) climbing. Put me up as guest at F&R hut in Lakes, organised loads of fell training runs - he even did the design for my major house extension which we have lived in happily for the past 7 yrs. He had been a top endurance fell runner until injury stopped him but I recall an early meeting with him on a Karrimor mountain marathon (he was doing the Elite, me a lesser category) and our paths crossed as it were. He was in full flight down a mountain side as I was slogging up but he had time to give that great big grin of his and wish me well. I can't express how sad I feel for Janet and the girls. We will all miss you Craig.
 Stu Bradbury 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Only got back from a trip late last night and this has just been bought to my attention this morning.

I'm stunned and saddened to hear of this tragic news, my thoughts are with his family.

Stu.
In reply to all: Details of Craig's funeral are as below. Thanks to Mark Hartell for posting these in the FRA forums.

The funeral will take place on Tuesday 23rd September 2.15pm at the Unitarian Chapel, King Edward Street, Macclesfield SK10 1AB (then close family only to the crematorium for the committal)

This will be followed by a gathering at the Masonic Hall, Riseley Street, Macclesfield SK10 1BW to which everyone is welcome.

Only family flowers. Donations to the Cornwall Air Ambulance who did everything they could to save Craig.

http://www.cornwallairambulancetrust.org/make-one-donation

No dress code - Janet (his partner) has asked people to come as who they are.

Parking at either the Masonic Hall (5-10 min walk in almost a straight line and they are happy for people to park there on the day) or at Whalley Hayes car park, Westminster St/King Edward Street SK10 1BS (free after 3pm). Here's a map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zcmCpPgUf7Tk.k30eUG_HfND4

In reply to Frank the Husky: Bump.

Removed User 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Macca_7:

Very sad news indeed, Craig was one of the nicest guys in the running/climbing scene. I've spent many great days in the mountains with him. I'll miss his grin!
Mike Browell
 verticon 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Terrible news! For a few days, Craig was my host at the 2010 BMC Intl. Meet, we climbed many three star Cornish routes together and he was such a great companion. My condolences to his family and friends.

Laurentiu Anghel
Romania
In reply to verticon: Everyone who ever met him, remembered him and for all the right reasons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...