UKC

Nigel Farrage - Alex Salmond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Sep 2014
No, this is not a troll. Those two seem to me to have three common characteristics:

1) They both seem to be motivated by dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case, everyone but the English in Farrage's.

2) They both have a sketchy grasp of detail, but neither care because when they get caught out they just shrug their shoulders and fall back on the 'instinct' and 'vision' thing.

3) They are both prepared to take huge steps into the unknown, abandoning institutions that however flawed, have nonetheless succeeded in avoiding war, creating prosperity and promoting social justice.

Reckless, careless, selfish self promoting b*stards both of them, IMHO.

Philip 09 Sep 2014
They are both driven by a frustration in the income they could have had but missed out on.

Farrage's anti-EU stance comes from the legislation that limited him as a trader in the city.

Salmond was an Oil Economist in the 80's. Presumably upset at what he thought Scotland should have been able to exploit alone.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Alex Salmond maybe doing Farage a big favour...

From Michael Saunders - chief economist @ Citi Bank

"Bad for mainstream UK political parties, good for the anti-EU vote. Once
independence happens, Scottish MPs would no longer attend or vote at the
Westminster parliament. This would disproportionately hurt both Labour and the Lib Dems: Scotland accounts for 9% of seats at the Westminster parliament (59 out of 650 seats in 2010), but accounts for 16% of Labour seats, and 19% of LibDem seats. Conversely, only one out of the 306 Conservative MPs elected in 2010 is from a Scottish seat. However, although the maths of a post independence Parliament would favour the Conservatives, we believe a “yes” vote would also badly hurt the personal position of PM Cameron, by making him the PM “who lost the UK”. The key winner in UK political terms would probably be UKIP: this reflects the damage to the three main Westminster parties, the evidence that voters are prepared to reject the establishment and vote for radical change, and also the extent to which the themes in the Scottish referendum debate — a choice between membership of a larger bloc or independence — are
likely to have echoes in any future EU referendum. A secondary winner might be London Mayor Boris Johnson, who seems to be positioning himself as the radical outsider as candidate to succeed Cameron as Conservative party leader.
In reply to Philip:

Interesting perspective
 Scomuir 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

You do know that Farage not only married a German, he employs her as well? It's like one of those things that messes with peoples head when they realise that a: road tax doesn't directly pay for roads, and b: there are vehicles that are exempt from paying road tax
 Banned User 77 09 Sep 2014

Both will walk away as well.. they want the glory of making the big move but won't want to be around to sort out the afters..
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2014

> 1) They both seem to be motivated by dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case, everyone but the English in Farrage's.

Nonsense. I am a fan of neither's politics, and they may well benefit from the votes of others with such distasteful views, but neither seems remotely motivated by dislike, fear or contempt.
 MG 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

More very happy to blame "the other lot" for everything I would say, than dislike as such, but the similarity is there. Also the populist, car-salesman approach to politics, so too the belief that if only there was "independence" all will be well with their fiefdoms.
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

> More very happy to blame "the other lot" for everything I would say, than dislike as such, but the similarity is there. Also the populist, car-salesman approach to politics, so too the belief that if only there was "independence" all will be well with their fiefdoms.

Yes, maybe, and that is rather different from dislike/fear/contempt.
 ByEek 09 Sep 2014

You make some valid points. However, there is a disparity in what politicians say and what politicians do. All politicians say we need change to fix our "broken country". However, the change they deliver is always bureaucratic, never fixes anything and generally costs and arm and a leg (insert vested interests here).

Salmond and Farage differ in that they are promising not just change as in process, but a change of ideology. Whether they can deliver that with or without a mandate is a different question, but to the average voter fed up with the same old establishment, it is a breath of fresh air. I mean - can you really distinguish between red, blue and yellow in UK politics these day?

The third way is to do away with the idea of sweeping changes as above and just tweak what we already have to make things incrementally better. Alas, such a policy is dull and will never catch anyone's imagination even though it would probably have the biggest positive outcome for the least cost.
 Andes 09 Sep 2014

Please can you give a specific quotation of something anti-English that Alex Salmond has said?
 Roberttaylor 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Andes:
They can't. This is me waiting for them to do so.

http://img.pandawhale.com/39559-OP-will-surely-deliver-We-just-4lFx.jpeg
Post edited at 20:07
 lynx3555 09 Sep 2014
> No, this is not a troll. Those two seem to me to have three common characteristics:

> 1) They both seem to be motivated by dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case, everyone but the English in Farrage's.
More unfounded accusations of Racism coming from anti independence types....having followed Salmond for several years I fail to see any truth in this accusation....but carry on, I'm curious to read more.

> 2) They both have a sketchy grasp of detail, but neither care because when they get caught out they just shrug their shoulders and fall back on the 'instinct' and 'vision' thing.
And you don't have a very sketchy grasp of Alex Salmond, probably the best politician on this island.

> 3) They are both prepared to take huge steps into the unknown, abandoning institutions that however flawed, have nonetheless succeeded in avoiding war, creating prosperity and promoting social justice.
Avoiding war! Where have you been for the past 25 years.

> Reckless, careless, selfish self promoting b*stards both of them, IMHO.
Alex speaks for me and many more people living in Scotland, so I assume you are referring to me and them, when you call us "self promoting bastards"....
Post edited at 21:15
 Andes 09 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Salmond and Farage differ in that they are promising not just change as in process, but a change of ideology. Whether they can deliver that with or without a mandate....

To lighten the tone, I'd like to see Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage go on a ManDate... but I think they'd end up fighting not kissing!

aln 09 Sep 2014

> dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case,

Does that include the English and other 'foreigners' living in Scotland who have a vote in the referendum?

> institutions that however flawed, have nonetheless succeeded in avoiding war,

What a ridiculous statement.

Trevers 09 Sep 2014

An rUK left at the mercy of Farrage and Johnson sounds horrific.
 rogerwebb 09 Sep 2014

>
> 1) They both seem to be motivated by dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case,
>
>

That is unreasonable. Some of his fellow travellers may be anti-English, I've been on the receiving end of it, but however much I dislike his politics or the consequences of them, I don't think that is remotely true.

yer maw 09 Sep 2014

> No, this is not a troll. Those two seem to me to have three common characteristics:

> 2) They both have a sketchy grasp of detail, but neither care because when they get caught out they just shrug their shoulders and fall back on the 'instinct' and 'vision' thing.

> 3) They are both prepared to take huge steps into the unknown, abandoning institutions that however flawed, have nonetheless succeeded in avoiding war, creating prosperity and promoting social justice.

> Reckless, careless, selfish self promoting b*stards both of them, IMHO.

I'm lost for words and no point in debating with the mindset of a.... well I'm not even going there.
 Dauphin 09 Sep 2014
In reply to yer maw:

True Believer?

D
 aln 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

> True Believer?

Numpty?

wynaptomos 10 Sep 2014

> 1) They both seem to be motivated by dislike/fear/contempt for 'foreigners' - the English in Salmonds case,

You can't make accusations like that without anything to back it up, so come one, where's the evidence?
In reply to lynx3555:

So if you are not a racist then all other accusations of racism against others are untrue. Smart move there. Shame the original premise is supported by many and denied by only you.

And you keep repeating yourself.
moffatross 10 Sep 2014

If it's not a troll, it's paranoia.
 Greenbanks 10 Sep 2014

Excellent thread. Both Salmond and Farage come across as crummy opportunists who are dragging down two great cultures.
 graeme jackson 10 Sep 2014
In reply to lynx3555:
> And you don't have a very sketchy grasp of Alex Salmond, probably the best politician on this island.
>

Now we all know you're a troll. this comment had me pissing myself laughing. well done for keeping us all confused for so long 10/10.
 Bruce Hooker 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Philip:

> Salmond was an Oil Economist in the 80's

That's interesting, further confirmation that the SNP is all about oil.
 Roberttaylor 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Cameron used to work for Carlton, which proves that the Tories are all about making T.V. series.
Good logic bro.

R
 Greenbanks 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Clegg apparently used to be a ski instructor. Wonder where that leaves us?
 Roberttaylor 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

By the above logic, the natural assumption would be that the Lib dems are all about going downhill, fast.

R

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...