UKC

Tides at Brean Down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alibaba 12 Sep 2014
Hi there,

planning to head to Brean Down for the first time this weekend. Am pretty puzzled by tides.

According to http://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/somerset/brean-beach-weat... high tide will be at 10:20AM, with low at 4:30PM.

Got few questions:
1) What time in the morning will it be possible to approach the crag (boulder cave)?
2) Are routes affected by high tide? Are they getting wet?
3) Is it possible to be there at high tide?

Thanks!
 GridNorth 12 Sep 2014
In reply to alibaba:

As far as I can recall the sports climbs at the far end are unaffected. In fact me and a mate once had the rescue out to us when someone in the cafe saw us going up and coming down again and assumed that we were trapped by the tide. 2 x helicopters, 3 x Coast Guard vans, 2 ambulances and several police cars were waiting for us as we walked back down. We even made the S.W.evening news.

So access should be possible but just not as convenient as walking in/out at low tide.
 The Pylon King 12 Sep 2014
In reply to alibaba:

Boulder cove gets cut off a couple of hours either side of high tide but even at high tide there is a beach under all the climbs.

So you will need to get there before 8.30ish or after 12.30ish.

You can also walk over the top and scramble down a path just left of the climbs at high tide.
 John Alcock 13 Sep 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

This is not actually true. The bottom of Pearl Harbour is under water at VERY high tides, but that is highly unusual. Mostly allow 2 hours from high tide. The walk in over the top is nasty if the grass is wet, but it's fine as a walk out. Many friends have fallen in trying to scramble round with a sack on when the tide is high, but the water is warm for a wade.
alibaba 17 Sep 2014
Thank you very much for all your input! It was very useful, and yeah, I wouldn't like scrambling down if the grass was wet, but easily managed up and down (to see where it leads to at the top) with flip-flops on on dry day.
 Ian Parsons 17 Sep 2014
In reply to alibaba:

Good thinking; check it out for future reference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...