UKC

Gear you really like

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 22 Sep 2014
What pieces of gear do you have that, in your opinion, are the dogs danglies?

For myself:-
Craghoppers with zip-off trouser legs - fantastic when the day starts out cold but gets hot or for those evenings when it suddenly gets cold and you can't be arsed to change.
Lowe alpine rucksack with full length side zip - not made anymore (at least I haven't seen them) but it is the single most accessable rucksack i own and I use it all the time, stuff at the bottom of the sack? don't want to unpack everything? No problem. I took the aluminium struts out when I bought it and hey presto a light weight sack that I can climb with. Never felt the need for the struts. Plus, and this is a big bonus, it practically folds into itself so that I can get away with using a 60 ltr sack as hand luggage.
Red and Black Marmmut top - light, windproof, the sort of top that keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer. So impressed I bought a second one before they change the style.
Rab neutrino jacket - packs small, easy to carry but nice and warm
Mountain hardware down jacket - ancient and tatty so it keeps me warm and I don't mind if it gets trashed.
5.10 camp 4 approach shoes - I was sold on these when my old climbing shoes gave up the ghost at the start of Tower Ridge on the Ben and I had to borrow my wifes approach shoes. I was really impressed by how easy they were to climb in.
Swiss army pen knife - indispensable. I have lost rack of all the times I have used it.
Nut key with cam extractor ends - yes it does catch on my harness but on the plus side it has saved me a fortune in cams over the years
 BnB 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Blue Totem Basic. 'Nuff said.
 Mountain Llama 22 Sep 2014

Marmot driclimb top, really breathable and superb wicking performance.

Crux AK47 sack, bombproof and still waterproof after 8 yrs.

Helly Hanson lifa long sleeved top and boxers, great if u sweat like a pig!

Whyte T129s, great 29er has really got me back into mtbing
 Stevie989 22 Sep 2014

Double axel cams
WC superlights
WC nut key
BD hoodwires (heavy compared to DMM though)
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2014

MEC baselayers (getting on for 20 years old)
MEC baselayer fleece (getting on for 20 years old)
MEC nylon faced fleece (getting on for 20 years old)
Peacock puffa jacket (crag belay jacket for £5)
Some Montane hooded primaloft jacket (don't know model)
Camalots
In reply to Duncan Bourne: DMM Wallnuts - after climbing a few routes using just WC Rocks I couldn't wait to get back to climbing with Walnuts instead.

At the moment I am also loving (in no particular order):
* Grivel Plume screwgates
* Mammut contact slings
* Prana Axiom jeans (they actually do them in my size!)
* Thermarest NeoAir XTherm
* Blue Ice Warthog 26 sack
* Petal Freino krabs
* Kong GiGi
* Metolius ultralight nutkey
* RAB Generator Alpine belay jacket
* RAB Boreas soft shells
* Petal Quark iceaxes
* Scarpa Delta boots (& Jorasses Pro GTX boots)
* Evolv Bolt approach shoes
* MSR Warthog tents pegs
* Petal Meteor 3+ helmet

Removed User 22 Sep 2014

My Alpkit Pipedream 400 sleeping bag. Paid £85 a few years back. I've found I can increase its warmth with a liner and bivybag. The bag fabric is holding up well, showing no signs of wear.
 timmeehhhh 22 Sep 2014

5.10 Camp 4 approach shoes

Victorinox Climber pocket knife

Rab Boreas windshirt

DMM Alloy offset nuts

Montura softshell pants

Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket

Petzl Reverso

Marmot Basic Work gloves

Jetboil Zip

Beal Cobra half ropes

Wild Country nut tool

John Kelly 22 Sep 2014

camalots
rocks
beal 6mm 60cm slings
Phantom biners
Stirling photon 7.8mm
scarpa zen's
In reply to Duncan Bourne: DMM/HB offsets, La Sportiva boots and edelweiss ropes.

AlanLittle 22 Sep 2014

La Sportiva Miura Laces
 simon1985 22 Sep 2014

ortlieb map case
 Hannes 22 Sep 2014

WC helium krabs
Grey small camalot
Camp ballnuts
Trango cinch
Grivel 360s
Sawn off BD angle pegs
Moses tomahawk
Offsets
OP Duncan Bourne 22 Sep 2014
In reply to simon1985:

ooo yes they are great they are
 GarethSL 23 Sep 2014

- Old Arc'teryx AC2 rucksacks. Simply the best near waterproof bags out there. The new ones are shite.

- BD turbo express ice screws. Still yet to find a faster and better placing screw that racks so neatly!

- BD Fusions, started on quarks swapped to vipers now I'm never going back!

- Arc'teryx Eon merino tops, so so comfortable, well made and neatly fitting. Sadly no longer made!

- British army combat socks, odd but I'm yet to find a cheaper and better performing sock for all round mountain use!

- Arc'teryx Beta AR trousers, simply the best fitting and most articulate waterproof trousers available. Stunning quality and you get a lot for your money!

- Exped drybags, a little pricey but so so useful and actually Err... dry!

- Aldi Merino bottoms, do just what they need to do and are comfortable! (Back in stock this thursday I believe!)

- Arc'teryx Venta MX, probably the most underrated winter climbing jacket out there, totally useless for you Scottish types but unbeatable for fit and comfort in colder climates.

- BD laser/ fusion ice picks. It really pays to have the right pick on your axe for the right kind of climbing. Makes a whole world of difference both physically and mentally!

- Petzl ice clippers, where o'where would I be without these!

- Arc'teryx Atom lt hoody, just the mutts nuts in terms of technical mid-layering.

Buffalo Systems Special 6 shirt & trousers - Like being wrapped in a fortress.
Montane Punk balaclava - Probably associate this with the Buffalo.
1000 Mile baselayer socks - never blister.
Haglofs Lex 80 - Such a comfortable carry when loaded.
Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket - Does everything it needs to and well.
 LastBoyScout 23 Sep 2014
> Craghoppers with zip-off trouser legs - fantastic when the day starts out cold but gets hot or for those evenings when it suddenly gets cold and you can't be arsed to change.

Personally, I can't stand zip-off trousers - I don't like the zips around my legs and I think they look ridiculous. I prefer my MH Pack Pants, with knee-length zips, which do the job of venting when it's hot.

Used to really like the original Craghoppers Bharkan trousers with button thigh pockets (not the later ones with Velcro pockets). Went through 3 pairs, until the waist elastic gave out.

North Face Meridian shorts - first generation before they added belt loops. I have a navy pair that have been used and abused for climbing, mountain biking and kayaking and wish I'd bought another pair of the khaki ones.

Arc'teryx Khamsin rucksack - fits me perfectly

Lowe Alpine dry-flo base layer tops. I've got bits I've used climbing, skiing, cycling and kayaking for over 10 years and are still not showing any signs of wearing out, apart from a slightly loose hem seam on one top.

Salomon Exit Low 2000 approach shoes. I've had 4 pairs of them, 3 are still on the go, although 2 are now pretty tatty.

Mountain Equipment Snowline sleeping bag.

Thermarest ProLite 3 sleeping mat.

Weird Fish jumper - horribly faded from original blue now, but still the most comfy top I've got for throwing on around a campfire or after surfing.

Mountain Hardwear Tech Jacket - just perfect.

Mountain Equipment LightLine duvet jacket
Post edited at 13:00
 Os_878 23 Sep 2014

Arcteryx Bastion Pant - Walm, durabale, flexible but also pleasant to wear in the heat. smart enough to wear out too!!!

Arcteryx Gamma SV - done me very well in most weathers

Metolius Safety tech harness - bomb proof, easy & super safe while being smart just what you want.

Patagonia - R1 Hoody - everyones favourite midlayer, warm practical & long enough to stretch in while wearing the harness.
 BarrySW19 23 Sep 2014

I do like the Black Diamond Gridlock Carabiner - a lot of people knock it and claim I should be using an HMS, but frankly for indoor and sport belaying it works perfectly. I'd agree an HMS is better for trad belaying, especially from dual rope loops.
 Steve nevers 23 Sep 2014

Evolv shoes - As they are the only make that fit.
Some trousers i bought from the Sally Army for 50p. - Best climbing trousers i ever had.
 hokkyokusei 23 Sep 2014

Mountain Hardwear Spire 2.1 tent. Light, functional and relatively spacious. I love it.
 Babika 23 Sep 2014

Wow. Must be some really happy people out there - listing the entire contents of the gear room by the looks of it.
 Rick Graham 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Babika:

> Wow. Must be some really happy people out there - listing the entire contents of the gear room by the looks of it.

I'll be very selective then. Most modern gear is pretty good though often over heavy with commercial crap/features. I take a knife to them.

Personal favourites.

The hood on my belay jacket.
Original Rockcentrics, loose, unanodised, on varying length dynema cord.
Superlight Rocks.
Wallnuts, especially in shallow sideways placements.
 Rick Graham 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Babika:

Oops.

Forgot about my 30 year old Murray Hamilton no nonsense Cordura 60 L cragsack.
 AlanLittle 23 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

> I do like the Black Diamond Gridlock Carabiner - a lot of people knock it

Yep, I hate 'em. Fiddly to use and you can wear rope grooves just by looking at them. But if you're happy, good luck to you.
 Rick Graham 23 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:
I like the Climbing Technology "Concept HMS" with the extra wiregate to stop it rotating.
Post edited at 16:44
 jwhepper 23 Sep 2014

Montane Terra Pants. So comfortable and with tough patches in exactly the right places!
CU Belay Glasses - The belay revolution, saves my neck... keeps my climbing partner safer too...
Millet Carline 250 - The only thing that keeps me warm and dry in winter...
Grivel Mago 12 - The climber's man bag I use it for everything. Even for climbing...
 goldmember 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Nicola Ciancaglini:

The mago 12, maybe just what i'm after for the bike. how comfy is it?
 Ciro 23 Sep 2014

DMM offsets - they just work and the red one is probably my most placed piece of gear.
Climbing Technology Alpine Up - oddly, although it's slightly faffy for multi-pitch, it has become my favourite cragging belay device.
Alpkit Filo - years of abuse and still going strong.
Roadpro 12v slow cooker - nothing like coming back to a hot van-made stew (solar leisure system required)
 BnB 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

+1 for the red offset. Goes in everywhere. In fact I ought to buy 2 more for any rhyolite routes.

CT Alpine Up. Makes me feel I'm looking out for my leader better than he's able to look out for me. Not a criticism of him, just a great bit of kit. But HEAVY.
 KellyKettle 23 Sep 2014

Buffalo System: Special Six, HA Sallopettes and Parka... The parka is generally excessive, but as a setup it just works...

BD Reactors: no longer made, but an excellent tool for British winter, at a bargain price.

Crux X2 Storm: light bombproof and cheap (at least in the sale at v12)

Troll Trousers: Windproof Pyjamas!
In reply to goldmember:

> The mago 12, maybe just what i'm after for the bike. how comfy is it?

That's quick to review. It's small, very small, but recently I was able to squeeze in a fleece, goretex jacket, a small bottle of water and some snacks. For climbing is great. You don't feel it. If you need to climb up a chimney or need to access its content without risking to drop it, unclip one end and rotate it to the front. Job done. If you need to take it off, unclip the other buckle and take it off without having to lift your arms, if that makes sense. It's got and extra gear loop which is very handy, a small velcroed pocket on the shoulder strap for camera/smartphone, one internal zipped pocket for anything you don't want to drop by mistake (e.g. car keys), one external quick access low volume zipper for things like route description or energy bars. Etc.

For everything else is just a small man bag No kidding, that's how I use it at least. It swallows everything I need when I'm on the road, small tablet, smartphone, keys, wallet, sun glasses, change goes in the internal zipper. Brilliant.

Oh yeah... I forgot another "piece of kit" that has revolutionised my cragging experience: cloth (not belay gloves). I use it when lowering off. Keeps my hands and rope clean and... it's a ready-to-use cloth for cleaning my shoes before climbing. It's washable
 gd303uk 24 Sep 2014

Mountain Equipment, Chamonix , zip sweater.
This is by no means a technical but of kit that I would wear out and about, it is heavy and too hot and very ugly, but for a jumper to wear in a cold house or around the camp fire it has to be the best warmest jumper I have ever worn. The wool on the outside prevents it getting burnt from spitting logs and other hotness, it is lined with a very soft fleece almost like a felt, making comfy against the skin, a big zip and relaxed fit make this easy to put on and take off . I love this jumper. Highly recommend it for lazing about and keeping warm.
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN2331&utm_source=Produ...
 whenry 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne: Camp Pro Nuts. They just fit into placements perfectly - more than any other nut I've tried.
 Toerag 25 Sep 2014

> Lowe alpine rucksack with full length side zip - not made anymore (at least I haven't seen them) but it is the single most accessable rucksack i own and I use it all the time, stuff at the bottom of the sack? don't want to unpack everything? No problem.

I LOVE my Jack Wolfskin Spider rucsac for the same reason - it has a 3/4 length central zip. Will bite peoples hands off for another as mine is needing repair.

aside from that - small pink Tricam, if my thumb goes in a hole then it will

As a total gear freak I couldn't resist posting on this thread.

My Green, Blue and Yellow Totem Basic Cams. Brilliant micro cams, an improvement on the original Alien design. As flexible as anything else on the market and, in my view much more likely to hold in a marginal placement due to the soft, sticky metal the lobes are made from.

My Black Diamond Hexcentrics 7 and 8. I used to shun Hexes as the badge of the punter but recently I've come round. These are much more useful than the big wires, totally bomber when they go in and weigh hardly anything.

My Scarpa Vapour Rockshoes that have been expertly resoled with Five Ten Rubber by Torquil at Llanberis resoles. The Fiveten rubber isn't any sticker than the Vibram rubber Scarpa use as, but it is stiffer which I prefer. It's like getting a pair of new shoes for the fraction of the cost and without the pain of breaking them.

My faded old AIguille Alpine Cirrus. It's not high tech, it's old and battered, but it still works fine. It's been the rucksack I've used on some of my best climbs. I wouldn't swap it or sell it for anything.
 iksander 26 Sep 2014

Gear

Mammut Smart Alpine - Almost as good as CT Alpine Up, but lighter and no moving parts
Grivel 360s - Can go where other screws can't, and should
Offsets
Tricams

Clothes

Patagonia Ready Mix jacket - light, thin, stretchy, durable, weatherproof, awesome hood
Patagonia Mixmaster trousers - one (winter) trouser to rule them all
Outdoor Research Ferossi trousers - light, thin, stretchy, durable
Raichle All Degree Low shoes and GTX Pro boots - light supportive, fit me
Mountain Equipment Mountain Stretch gloves - breathable, waterproof, fit me, affordable
Outdoor Research Military Mutant modular lobster mitts

Gizmos

Swisscard multitool
Haglofs Watatait wallet

I think most of these are now discontinued, classic case of "developing" products beyond their apogee, see also Bill Hicks on mareketing people - "go suck a tailpipe"
 KellyKettle 26 Sep 2014

Trangoworld "Comfort Mat" Bought in Slovenia when my alpkit airic lite died, and it packs to about the same size as the Airic did but inflates to 3 times the thickness which is mindboggling, Heavy but unbeatably comfy and hard as nails.
 jack_44 26 Sep 2014

Hexes!!!!!

Don't know why but I'm over the moon when I place a bomber hex. They were the first bits of pro I had when building a rack and fill me with confidence when I see them bed into a placement.
 Si_G 26 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Totally agree on the BD Gridlock. Love mine.
 Robin Woodward 26 Sep 2014

DMM/HB Offsets - Constantly on the verge of buying a second set and just not taking 'normal nuts

DMM Revolvers - I have 4 snap gates on alpine draws (immense for avoiding rope drag, particularly where a sharp corner across ledges is necessary), and a Quicklock for either crevasse rescue or going on the bail-skyhook

Grivel Helix Speedy Ice Screws - So easy to place, particularly when pumped, and being able to clip straight in is great (although some extra clearance between the tape connection and the handle might stop it snagging as often)

Totem Cams - Only purple as of yet, but bomber every time

Any Decent Guide Plate - Grivel Master Pro here, hate belaying a second with a normal plate on multi-pitch where they might fall, knowing that I'm going to be very uncomfortable at a pretty crucial moment

Grivel Rambos (4?) - Heavy and a pain on the feet, but just so brutally efficient and stable on the ice

And lots of other things for probably just comfort reasons rather than them actually being particularly good.
 planetmarshall 26 Sep 2014
OP Duncan Bourne 27 Sep 2014
In reply to simon1985:

another Ortlieb fan.

I really like the map cases. But not only foe maps! I use a smaller case as a waterproof pocket for bits and bobs when out on the hills.

Ciro 27 Sep 2014

Having taken delivery of a backnobber 2 the other day I think it is destined for my "essential gear" list - it's the closest thing to having a personal massage therapist on call 24/7 I've found yet.
OP Duncan Bourne 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

Ooooooo sounds interesting
 ColdWill 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

back what!!!
 mrchewy 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

I had to google that. Slightly cautious I was.
needvert 28 Sep 2014

MSR Lightning Ascent snow shoes. Sod using lower traction shoes, also the heel elevators are great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...