UKC

Calf Problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 22 Sep 2014
Just after some advice. I constantly get calf problems, though I am now 51. I would like to keep up running and do marathons still, but get calf problems about every six months. I have Asics trainers, gait analysis, even went to a podiatrist for insoles. I do warm up stretches when I run after a quarter mile and then a couple of other stretches a few minutes after. I wear older shoes then newer ones to avoid repetitive strain. I have one of those roller things to run up the calf to try to manipulate the scar tissue. I haven't really done too many gym exercises, perhaps that might be a route. I can usually get quite fit, comfortable 10 miles stuff, then it can go in a step when I have been out for an hour. Should I take up golf!
 tjin 23 Sep 2014
In reply to thelostjockey:

Time to go to see the physiotherapy guy. I tried a lot of things, but the problem was muscle strength. Got some specific muscle strength exercises.
 jethro kiernan 23 Sep 2014

got the same problem with my calf, A few years ago I also had shin problems and some exercise tips to strenthen it up cleared it up never to be seen again, I am hoping a visit to the physio will produce the same result for the calf :-/
 JamButty 23 Sep 2014
Had a number of problems with calves over the last year or so. It stopped me running for about 3 months. I did a lot of "power" walking leading up to starting running again which helped as I could gauge when it was hurting. Run/walk strategy followed now back to full running - but key thing for me is that I deliberately run slower than before and it seems to have helped.
Gave up with stretches, rollers etc as it didn't seem to help

Sorry I also saw physio for a few months prior to getting going again.
Post edited at 14:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...