UKC

Bouldering in the Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
reenyuk 23 Sep 2014
Hello,

I started climbing about 2 months ago, just bouldering indoors up to V3 maximum right now at a gym in Deeside. I am interested in trying some bouldering outdoors and I live fairly close to the peak district (I'm from Crewe), should I just go out there on my own with a mat or maybe go with a company for the first time? Are the boulders easy to find?

Also is there anything around the Chester area worth going to as I go that way to climb at the weekends right now?

Regards,
 robin mueller 23 Sep 2014
In reply to reenyuk:
You'll probably have more fun if you go with company (plus it's useful to have spotters and other people to figure out beta), but there's no reason you can't go on your own and give it a go.

If you are in Crewe, there is some great bouldering nearby in The Churnet Valley. You could also head to The Roaches where this is some good easy stuff. Other great beginner spots are Cratcliffe and Burbage South boulders.

There is info on the net (eg. loads of pics and vids at peakbouldering.info) but life will be easier if you buy a guidebook. Just don't expect to be ticking off V3's straight away - outdoors stuff demands a lot of different skills to indoors.

There is some bouldering around Chester, eg. Frodsham, Helsby, Harmers Wood. There is a new guide which covers the area: Cheshire & Merseyside Sandstone.

You can use the find crags page to search for bouldering in any area: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/
Post edited at 14:32
 Danstephens 23 Sep 2014
In reply to reenyuk:

Grab a mat, have a go. Generally the boulders are easy to find, makes it easier with a guide book. Peak district bouldering would be a good one to start.

Roaches has some nice bouldering and yes they are really easy boulders to find, just walk towards the rock from the car and you can't miss them.
There was a similar thread a while ago, worth a read http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=523095

Am moving to the area myself shortly (fortnight or so), so will testing the waters around crewe and chester, if you fancy a partner give us a shout.
reenyuk 25 Sep 2014
Thank you for the response guys, let me know when you arrive in the area danstephens and we can sort something out.
 tim000 25 Sep 2014
In reply to reenyuk:

im in northwich if you want a partner. i`ve got a mat , peak bouldering and cheshire guides . been to helsby and the roaches .free during school hols. tim.
 Dale Berry 25 Sep 2014
In reply to robin mueller:
> There is some bouldering around Chester, eg. Frodsham, Helsby, Harmers Wood. There is a new guide which covers the area: Cheshire & Merseyside Sandstone.

I'd say look at the guide and see what you think. Harmers Wood is superb, but I would suggest going with company and plenty of mats; at least for the first time.

The stuff most on your way back to Crewe is certainly in the more esoteric side of things and probably best left till you have a better idea of what you want from outdoors bouldering.
Post edited at 21:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...